Struggling horrendously with sleep lately.

Options
I want to keep building muscle and I know how important sleep is for that. I've taken Trazadone and Melatonin. But I'm lucky if I get 3 to 5 hours of sleep, but I really want 7 to 10. I've always been a night owl, but it seems harder to go to and stay asleep that past month so far than I can ever recall it being. I might go to sleep for a couple hours, then wake up and just stare at the ceiling or forcefully try to make myself go back to sleep, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Do you have blue light filters on your electronic devices? Blue light is good in the AM and terrible in the PM. It will keep you up and make you restless in bed. Blue light is from all of our electronic devices.

If possible, stay off of any electronics for hours before bed. If that's not possible for you (everyone loves their devices now), add in an app that blocks the bluelight in the PM. They are free. I have them on all my electronics. You can also buy very cheap blue light blocking glasses online for like $20.

I bought my daughter, who has a desk job like me but tends to work late in the evening, a pair last year for X-mas and she LOVES them. They look stylish and she looks cute in them. She wears them all the time.

I believe there are also red lights for at night that are supposed to help you sleep better and stay asleep. I haven't looked too much into them yet but have thought about getting them for my wife and daughter.

I used to suffer from the same thing when I was around your age. I sleep like a rock now. So it can get better. Good luck!
  • ChrisGoesCoo
    ChrisGoesCoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman Thank you for the advice! I have a bluelighter filter on my phone and I set it to automatically decrease the bluelight around 6 pm and I feel as if it's helped me get to sleep a /little bit/ easier, but I still wake up shortly after and have a hard time going back to sleep, if at all even. I've tried just hiding my phone and games away at night to see if that works too. 😂 Maybe I'll look into the red lights and give them a try to see if it helps.