Help setting realistic goals

Options
Can you help me please? Id like to set up some goals for myself, btu I dont know what's realistic?

Replies

• brandimarie6
    Options
    i have the same problem but since i track my wieght on my wii i just set it for the most weight possible hen set the time for around the most time popssible
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Part of it depends on how much you weigh. The more you weigh, the more likely it is you'll lose a larger amount quicker if you're making changes to both diet and exercise. Another significant factor in that can be your carbohydrate and sodium intake.

Start with what seem like easier goals (ie. 5% body weight in X period of time, which seems very, very attainable) and then when you reach that 5%, figure the amount of time it took and go from there. :)
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I visit my GP once a month.

He was always on me about my weight and I was like, "I know".

6 months ago, something(s) in my life prompted a change (a few minor variations in fact) that headed me on this road.

I've lost a bit over 22kg in these last 6 months, but my monthly visits have helped set targets.

I use the weigh-in from his room once a month so that I am not obsessing over the dodgy scales we have at home (which vary 4-5kg while you stand on them!).

I bring that home and enter it into MFP to work out the next month.

I set a goal of 1lb (1/2 kg approx) per week and for some reason set 1kg (2lb) a week or so back and felt my body going out of wack.

It took me a lifetime to get to the wrong weight, so I can make a plan to get to the right weight, etc. that doesn't involve not looking after myself in-between.

So I am back on 1lb per week goal and loving each day as it comes, and really living it again too !

A few points / tips work for me:
    * Don't sweat the small stuff
    * Even the big stuff - can be smaller than they appear - in the GRAND SCHEME of things (the bigger picture)
    * Do not let the negative drive us, think on the positive
    * Tomorrow never gets here - start TODAY (I do not believe in New Year's Resolutions, I believe in NOW resolutions).

I hope this is of help to you.

Thinking of you as you progress in your Trek to be the best you that you want to be.

Gary
  • manderlou82
    Options
    One of the things I would say is try and set a short term goal first. Say I want to lose 20 lbs. by this amount of time and go for it with all your heart. Second, is don't take it all off so fast and crash diet. It will be too much and will cause you to crash binge. At least that is the way it is for me. I have tried to take it one day, one meal at a time and eat food that I enjoy. Look up tasty recipes and alternatives to recipes that you like to make them healthier. Look at each pound as a victory,. I know it is hard when you want it all to be right now but each step is a step in the right direction! Don't be hard on yourself if you fail, just get up and go again! Hope this helps!
  • dannylives
    Options
    One pound a week! Even that is hard! Don't believe the quick weight loss bull crap! p.s. for some people, one pound a week isn't really that hard, for me, it is :)
  • snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    for me I have wrote my goals out weekly to find I either did or didnt accomplish even one. I am now setting one goal a wk for myself until I can get in the habit of exercising, eating healthy or whatever. Make it something you can do, but make it be a challenge to yo also. Example, I hated the elipitical never would even do it, so one day I started and did a little and each day more and more and finally today I did a whole 60min. the more you accomplish you will get that I can do this feeling and you will want to succeed.
    Good luck, one day at a time.
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to lose 10% of my weight every 12 weeks. I stole the idea from Weight Watchers. So far it has worked perfectly.