All Men/Women between Ages of 50-60

Options
Hi Everyone.

I recently turned 55 and notice that the pounds are not shedding as easily as they did 10 years ago. I'm not overweight by much, I am 213 pounds at 6'1 & 1/2" but more interested in firming up. I would like to be closer to 200. Having the motivation to work out is not as much of a problem as putting down the knife and fork. Let's motivate each other to recapture some of our mojo. My name is Jason and I live in the Dallas area. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Hi, there. I totally agree the biggest challenge is what's going on between my ears to convince myself to eat what I know intellectually is the right amount. Despite wanting more than the right amount.

FWIW, years ago I had a similar experience -- shedding a few pounds seemed harder than before. The things I used to do pretty regularly to drop 5 pounds weren't working. I wondered if it was age. When I started tracking calories, I realized it wasn't age at all. I had changed careers to something that was a lot less active, and all I had to do was to adjust my calories for that decrease in activity. It all worked just like before after making that adjustment. I hope something similar holds true for you and you find the formula for your own success.

• leos_daddy
    leos_daddy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, Ahoy. I will say that since the pandemic, I'm sitting a lot more than I did before. My job requires sitting most of the time but while I was in the office, I'd get up and speak to a co-worker instead of sending him/her an e-mail. I was also more than likely to walk around and speak to colleagues. I do walk my dog now that I'm working from home but not moving around nearly as much. That said, I do think that getting older also contributes to lesser metabolism and stubborn weight loss/gain.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,438 Member
    Options
    leos_daddy wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, Ahoy. I will say that since the pandemic, I'm sitting a lot more than I did before. My job requires sitting most of the time but while I was in the office, I'd get up and speak to a co-worker instead of sending him/her an e-mail. I was also more than likely to walk around and speak to colleagues. I do walk my dog now that I'm working from home but not moving around nearly as much. That said, I do think that getting older also contributes to lesser metabolism and stubborn weight loss/gain.

Recent research on that subject suggests that metabolism is quite steady from 20s until around 60.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34385400/

How much we move is pretty important: Not just exercise, but also daily life movement. Ideas for increasing daily life movement here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Some won't apply to you, but there are so many people contributing to that thread, that I'd bet some will. Even fidgeting has been found, in relevant research, to make up to a couple of hundred calories difference per day, comparing a fidgety person to a very placid one of the same size/other characteristics.

On top of that, we can lose muscle mass as we age, if we're not doing things to keep challenging it. A pound of muscle at rest only burns a tiny number of calories more than a pound of fat (which is also metabolically active), though, like around 4 calories different per pound per day. My best guess is that people who are stronger/fitter tend to move more in varied ways through the day, just because it's easier and more fun to do so - that would be a plus for calorie burn. (I'm livelier at a healthy weight than I was as an overweight/obese person, for sure, even though I was athletically active for the last dozen years of being obese.)

I'm 66. My metabolism still seems fine, as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm just genetically lucky, though - no way to know.

Best wishes for success!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to jump in the Wayback Machine, and enter what you ate for a few average days before you started counting calories.

When I did so, it was a shock to me.

It wasn’t age or metabolism at all.

Like the frog in the boiling water, so were my eating habits. They had slowly crept up to glutton levels over the years.

Once I began eating at a small deficit, I kid you not, the weight poured off.

It does, however, come off much more slowly closer to goal, and you’re very close. For a myriad of reasons, don’t be frumptious and set a pound a week loss as your goal. Set a reasonable half pound.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    You can do it, just keep active and watch those calories and you will see improvement. Good luck.