Lol

I've been learning to eat healthy since the beginning of this month but it's still not enough because I love chips and fruit snacks lol. I've given up all carbonated drinks, sweets, ice cream and most processed foods. My husband eats all of that crap. It's hard to cook for both of us and our child when they both are picky. So I usually eat the same thing but a lot less or more simple.

You have to have the right mind set to accomplish your goals. Is it worth eating your craving and feeling like a failure or worth sticking to your goal and health? That doesn't mean give it up for life, but starting out I would give it all up.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    edited January 2022
    Huh! I wish you all the luck in the world. Not anything I could do, would want to do, or did in my weight loss days.

Honestly, you might want to figure out why you feel like a failure if you eat something you don't feel is healthy because THAT attitude isn't healthy either.

FYI, ice cream has calcium, chips have potassium, soda counts as water intake, sweets are good for diabetic sugar crashes and taste delicious, processed foods have convenience and also deliciousness.

Don't ever call any food "crap" in my presence. 😀

Edited to add: This probably sounded harsh but I didn't mean it that way. Feeling bad about eating something that gives me joy is just...inconceivable to me.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    edited January 2022
    I think you need to figure out what works for you and your mind. I give you an idea of what my day looks like at the moment. I'm eating 1400 calories, plus exercise calories.
    Oats with skyr, some raisins and whatever fruit I have
    two slices of wholegrain bread with a young sourmilk cheese
    two slices of wholegrain bread with jam
    dinner whatever I cook (today ovenbaked breaded fish with potatoes and huge pile of veggies, and hoummus)
    chocolate mousse
    few small pieces of candy

I don't track sugar, get enough protein and fats, and feel happy with how I eat.

In the past when I really wanted to have a bag of crisps then I bought it... and ate it instead of my dinner. It's a decision of having something that I really want but doesn't quite fill me as much as a dinner, or have dinner. For me, this works.
  • slabrey85
    slabrey85 Posts: 130 Member
    edited January 2022
    I agree the right mindset is important. But is this 'all-or-nothing' mindset really the right one? I've never had luck with this kind of start personally, though I suppose some have.

What's wrong with starting off with smaller portions to fit your calories instead of completely removing them from your diet?
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    I have (had) a problem with sweets until the end of november.
    I started "keto" and intermittent fasting. It works for me.
    That said I still give myself a "reward/cheat" day when I hit a milestone or goal. The goals I set are simple, lose weight, gain muscle.
    Oddly enough when I started eating more fat my late night cravings for chocolate all but disappeared.

Finding what you will be consistent with in my opinion is what will have the best results as you will be willing to stick with it.

Best of luck in this new year.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    edited January 2022
    Here's what I learned pretty quickly. Maybe it'll help... I have a set number of calories I can eat per day. If I eat all the stuff I used to eat (Mac and cheese, pizza, more pasta, wine, more wine), then I run out of calories pretty darn fast and I'm starving! If I start swapping some of those things for things like salads & vegetables and quit drinking most of my caloires, I can have huge amounts of food and feel full all day.

The choice of WHAT to eat is entirely up to you. But it does make it easier to stick with it if you're not hungry all the time. There are still some days where I just really want that pizza and wine, so I have it. I just make sure it fits with my calorie intake. Nothing is off limits, so there's no feeling of failure to worry about.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    What's worth it or not is honestly going to be a question that only you can answer. My two cents is that you can eat any food you like, but not all foods are going to be helpful at any given time. Even though I include many of the foods that I ate at my highest weight (nearly 50 lbs ago) my meals are different and it took time and effort to make those changes.

For example, at my highest weight, I loved mac n' cheeze. Still do! But today when I have mac n' cheeze, I have half the amount and add in smoked tofu, shredded carrot and broccoli. This works better for my current lifestyle because it fills me up more and gives me more protein and nutrition for less calories, so I can hit my goals.

However, when I first started, that substitution wouldn't have been obvious to me. It's a learned skill to say, 'this works better' or 'this isn't helpful' when it comes to food. So, some of the early steps were things like, 'I'll have one piece of french bread with my pasta and add a side salad' or 'I'll measure out one serving of chips, but add sliced veggies on the side'. Sometimes, my goal was eating a whole bag of mixed salad greens before it went bad or drinking 8 glasses of water each day for a week.

The important thing is to go at the pace you're comfortable with and be confident in the fact that you are making changes that will have bigger payoffs further down the line. If you love chips, fruit snacks, and sweets, acknowledge that (without judgement!) and think of ways to make it healthier and enjoyable. Add a side of veggies to the chips, have some real fruit with the fruit snack, or make a low-calorie cake and top it with a measured-out serving of ice cream. Eventually, if you give yourself time and compassion, it'll even out and those things you try will either stick with you as a healthy habit or fall to the side as you find something that works better.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    You now have the benefit of all the psychological underpinnings of compulsive, or at least uncontrolled eating. The trouble is that you can't fix your brain with your brain. Its been tried. Doesn't work. Ask anyone crying their eyes out after a breakup when everyone knows she is better off without him, or the fear of heights by a person being told that the stair tower is 100% enclosed and they couldn't fall if they tried. Its just a waste of time to try to overcome subconscious emotions with logic and reason. Its Just a waste of time and the continued failures will make matters worse.

The answer is that you have to endure some discomfort.

Just eat the same stuff but less of it. That is easier when you drop a few really high calorie dense items like peanut butter and corn chips and cheese. That stuff. But, certainly not required.

Just eat less and accept the discomfort just like you would accept the cold temperature if the plane landed in Toronto and you had clothing for NYC. Eventually, as your success has its psychological effect on your subconscious lack of self esteem it will be easier. Just like the fading memories of a bad boyfriend from years before.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've personally never seen the all or nothing mentality really work particularly well and it comes with a lot of unnecessary negativity and guilt which is nonsense. I tend to look at good nutrition with the big picture in mind rather than in a vacuum of this food or that or this meal or that. Having a cookie for desert doesn't somehow negate all of the other good nutrition I've had throughout a day.

I also tend to look at what I can add to improve my nutrition rather than "I need to eliminate this or that". My diet overall is pretty nutritionally on point, and I have no issues including some less nutritious foods sometimes. I don't eat pizza all of the time, but I usually have pizza night with the family on Friday. I don't eat ice cream all of the time, but I'm taking my kids to the bow range this weekend and we've decided we're going out for ice cream after. I tend to not think of foods as good or bad, but rather daily foods and sometimes foods.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    You are doing so good this month with what you have given up. You could just try with those things for the rest of the month and then tackle crisps and what ever next month. Gives it some time to make a habit out of not having soft drinks etc. and then move on and tackle another problem. Best of luck to you.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,809 Member
    You can be an abstainer and a moderator, you just have to figure out which foods. I love oreos and have tried and failed to moderate those so I abstain and pick a day when I eat less to have my full row of oreos and I keep foods that I can moderate such as teddy graham's and Milano so I can still have a treat. You're going to want to work on some balance and work arounds as family issues aren't likely to change. For my boys, I'll make them regular rice and I'll do cauliflower rice but we all have the same protein and veggies. Easy swaps that you can live with will make it easier for you. Just my two cents. Good luck.
  • Hi-
    Please don't consider yourself having failed before you've started. You just haven't found what works for you...YET!

I feel like I've been dieting for decades - or else feeling bad that I should be dieting and wasn't. With MFP, I've finally found something that works for me - when I work it.

I figured out that the all-or-nothing of trying to change EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE (a strict diet) was setting myself up for failure and quitting (again). So I looked at what needed to change and decided to change 1 thing at a time, learn from and master that, and then change the next thing.

You might want to consider this methodology, with whatever steps work for you. Here's what I did:

First step: measuring and tracking - just putting everything I ate and a daily weigh-in into MFP (and setting it to private :D) This helped establish the tracking habit and also gave me insight into how, how much, and what I was eating. I really thought I ate a pretty healthy diet, just too much of it, but this showed me that was not the case. This also helped me see that I was a night-time snacker and that if I ate too little early in the day, I would eat even more at night.

Second step: start switching it up with healthier choices. I didn't really worry about daily totals too much, just tried to find things that worked: a couple breakfasts I liked that were healthy, had good macros, etc. Healthy snacks that I liked. Dinner recipes that weren't too complicated or standard fare that I could up the veg quantity and still enjoy. Did you know you can add a butt-load of shredded carrots to spaghetti sauce and it tastes GREAT?! Increases the volume and fiber without adding a lot of calories. Or I buy one of those prepared frozen stir-fry bags and add a ton more frozen veg: snap peas, broccoli, etc.

Third step: This is when I cut out the sugar: candy & other sweets, donuts, cookies, ice cream, etc. I've since added small quantities of these back into my diet, but I found I really needed to cut it all out for a period of time to break my "addiction"/conquer my sweet tooth. I didn't worry about total daily calories or quantities much if I was eating "good stuff"*. If I was craving chocolate, I let myself eat as many carrots or apples+PB or cucumbers or blueberries or a nice hot chai latte as I wanted. It worked, and now I can eat small quantities of sweets and not feel driven to eat the whole box/bag/package/tub.

Fourth step: Full MFP plan. Set my calorie goal and stick to it. Watching portions and calories, measure everything, making mostly good choices, allowing myself treats.

In ~6 months last year I lost 45 pounds. I took a break over the holidays to practice maintaining, so I wouldn't be setting myself up for failure, and because I read an article that said to re-set your set point, you should take a break and maintain after losing ~5-10% of your body weight (and I had already lost 15% of mine). Now I'm back at it for another ~40 pound round, and went thru a shortened version of this phased process and so far, so good.

Sorry for the long post, and best of luck to you.

* for some the designation of foods as good/bad is problematic, but I use it here as a shorthand. Hopefully it's understood what I mean.