Sugar

Just looking at my food diary for today Im way over on Sugar! Because Ive had an apple a banana and 3 figs
Now I do understand sugar is sugar but is that suggesting not eating fruit to stay below? I dont eat any kind of sweets or soft drinks(soda)
I certainly have no intention of cutting fruit from my diet I think thats a bad idea but that would be my only way of staying below my sugar limit!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,107 Member
    edited January 2022
    The recommendations regarding sugar intake from various instances (WHO...) focus on avoiding added sugars, because those are usually found in less nutrient dense foods, so too much added sugar would mean risking not getting enough vitamins and minerals. And added sugar on nutrional labels is only a very recent thing (and not in all countries), so that's why the limit is put on sugar in general.

Unless you have blood sugar issues like diabetes, I would simply ignore the sugar goal if you know it's all/mostly from natural sources like fruit or dairy. That's what I do myself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    edited January 2022
    You can remove "sugars" from your FOOD diary. Go to Settings. The Myfitnesspal numbers include ALL sugar.

I don't track sugar. I have it on my Printable version page, and I do look at it. I try to stay under 125g for all sugars, but I mostly hover around 75-100. I eat several servings of fruit, vegetables and dairy daily so that's a reasonable number for me at 2000 calories.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Actually, that right, You may take some fruits away from your diet and, believe me, nothing wrong will happen to you.
    If you measure fruits by weight and similar weigh of vegetables than number of nutrients will be much over on the side of vegetables. What nutrient you are looking for in fruits? Only some antioxidants and minerals. Both of these parameters much superseed in veggies. Fruits are inferior on all positions. Plus, double trouble: huge amount of calories of fructose, glucose and sugars. Fructose is huge anemy of human metabolism. It was good addition to the diet of paleo people when we all had chronic undereating of calories: fructose created fat accumulation in our body, like any other mammals. This way we, as spieces, could survive any famins. What happened now? In opposite, we all live in surplus of calories any time of the day, and those food are owfully calory-dens.
    Fruits are not necessary for your survival and can be eliminated easily. You can enjoy from time to time low sugary berries, kiwies, pears, watermelon, but eat them every day in that amount, you mentioned, kind of overboard for person who want to loose weight.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I'm another who doesn't track sugar. I try to avoided added sugar, but mainly just because this adds calories generally, reducing the amount of other yummy things I can eat. Fruits are fantastic for you - vitamins, minerals, fibre, antioxidants etc. And as long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will be losing fat.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    fruits have wonderful nutrients that our bodies need.

natural sugars (like in fruit) are digested and processed by our bodies differently than 'added sugars' (as in a cookie).

As long as you are not diabetic, or have any other blood sugar issue, there is no reason at all to limit sugars and carbs (especially natural ones). Being in a calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight.
  • greyjulie
    greyjulie Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks everyone for your help! I wont be giving up my fruit anytime soon, I dont eat alot of it anyway, I just think it would be a good idea to differentiate between sugar if that was possible, fruit is good in the diet and I know sugar is sugar, I just think its sugar mixed with fat is not a good option
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    greyjulie wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your help! I wont be giving up my fruit anytime soon, I dont eat alot of it anyway, I just think it would be a good idea to differentiate between sugar if that was possible, fruit is good in the diet and I know sugar is sugar, I just think its sugar mixed with fat is not a good option

Even at calories that fit in goal, and alongside adequate protein & fiber/micros? If so, not good for what reason?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    When I track calories.. the bottom line is what I look at .. I ignore the other stuff.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    K. I. S. S.

“Old Me” scarfed down several pounds of candy, cookies, etc per day.

“New Me” eats fruit with cottage cheese and a dash of balsamic. Or skyr with sugar free chocolate syrup and a gram of rainbow sprinkles.

It’s better than it was before. Waaaaaaaaaaay better.

So I’m not gonna overthink it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Same with sodium. I’m way over every day. But it’s better than the family sized bag of salt & vinegar chips, or Doritos I’d put away every day, along with a fast food lunch. With all the stuff I do, I feel like I’m probably barely keeping up with replenishing sodium as it is.

If I were an elite athlete, a diabetic, or had other very specific health concerns I might be worried. But otherwise, you can make yourself nuts drowning in the details.

BTW, good for you for drilling down and paying attention and asking questions! I’m confident you’ll be one of the ones here for the long haul!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    edited January 2022
    OK, I might overthink it. But here's what I'm thinking, when I do that.

Oof. I'm short on fats today. Fats are an essential nutrient (body can't manufacture them, gotta eat some). Solid on protein: I treat protein (also an essential nutrient) at 100g and fats at 50g as minimums, use carbs to balance. Want 400g veggies/fruits minimum, and 800g+ is ideal. I'm at 1005g veggies/fruits today: Solid. I have calories to spend.

I'm here:

noqdeor1sonh.png

Need fats. Eat 2 homemade whole-wheat banana chocolate chip cookies (my favorite cookie!). Then I'm here:

01q97e89fijy.png

(Notice that those cookies also added 2g more protein.) Still need fats. I'm at 16g poly, 7g mono today, decent - still 3g below 20g sat fats limit. What to do? Ah . . . Godiva chocolate heart! Puts me here:

amfbn3bau634.png

Godiva heart is only 1g sat fat, and I'm a (not alarming) 3 calories over goal. I could do literally 2 minutes of gentle yoga, and wipe that out, if I cared. I don't. Sat fats still at 18 of 20. All MFP-tracked micros over minimum. Fiber at 44g. Over fat and protein minimums, 3 over calories.

Overthinking? Maybe. Winning? Dunno, but darn well close enough for me. I think this is fun.

I admit, being in maintenance, I have quite a few calories in play. But even while losing, this is the nature of the (Tetris-like) game. Overthinking isn't for everyone, but I think it's kind of entertaining, honestly, as long as more fun game, not obsessive.

You'll find the right game for you, which may not be the same as mine, and that's fine. 😊

Best wishes!
  • 1chesc
    1chesc Posts: 152 Member
    @AnnPT77 I love your description 'Teris-like game'. Although I don't focus on my macros often, I get excited when I have calories left in the evening and I find it exciting to work out what I can eat in order bump my calories for the day.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    edited January 2022
    Hahah! It’s a Tetris in my head, too!

I often have a day where a macro is badly off.

Here’s yesterday:
    plecyp3lewew.jpeg

Instead of panicking, I shift over to the “seven day” view. As long as those seven days are reasonably close, I’m golden.

Here’s my seven day.
    x9ind6qt3rml.jpeg

Sunday is doughnut day versus my usual proteiny pancake breakfasts, so I’m always low on protein in Sundays but on doughnut day I’ll bounce back on fat- and sugars. Mmmmmm. Apple fritter.

(PS: the high protein is intentional. I try to keep on goal for fat and carbs.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    K. I. S. S.

“Old Me” scarfed down several pounds of candy, cookies, etc per day.

“New Me” eats fruit with cottage cheese and a dash of balsamic. Or skyr with sugar free chocolate syrup and a gram of rainbow sprinkles.

It’s better than it was before. Waaaaaaaaaaay better.

So I’m not gonna overthink it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Same with sodium. I’m way over every day. But it’s better than the family sized bag of salt & vinegar chips, or Doritos I’d put away every day, along with a fast food lunch. With all the stuff I do, I feel like I’m probably barely keeping up with replenishing sodium as it is.

If I were an elite athlete, a diabetic, or had other very specific health concerns I might be worried. But otherwise, you can make yourself nuts drowning in the details.

BTW, good for you for drilling down and paying attention and asking questions! I’m confident you’ll be one of the ones here for the long haul!

Similarly, “Old Me” ate a lot of high calorie baked goods (noting that a lot of the calories was from fat as well as carbs) while “New Me” mostly satisfies my sweet tooth with fruit, often with zero fat, high-ish protein cottage cheese.

In my food diary, I swapped out Sugar for Fiber, which is a lot more helpful for me to track.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings