Winter Blues

Options
Every year, around November the dark and cold just start to get to me. It makes me want to go into hibernation; I start sleeping more but never feel rested. Striving for goals feels pointless, and while I'm working on developing the grit to keep going when I feel like quitting, I'm not there yet (perfect conditions never come, right?). I also get pretty irritable. I know this is a common problem, but I wanted to see what other folks do to help themselves with this?

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I know someone who has that problem every year. You might have seasonal depression, or Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Talk to a doctor.

I've read that some people use light therapy. Here's an article from the Mayo Clinic about choosing a light therapy box, worth reading. They also say talk to a doctor first because people with some health conditions should be cleared before using it (cataracts, diabetes, etc.)

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/in-depth/seasonal-affective-disorder-treatment/art-20048298

You might also ask for a Vitamin D test. Many people in the northern hemisphere have low vitamin D in winter, which can make you fatigued and lethargic. Good luck!
  • alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Echoing the above. I live in a Baltic State and it is dark for about 8 months of the year. Light therapy and lots of D.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    yes, light therapy and vitamin D can be crucial if you're in one of those dark places. Personally, I think it also helps to get outside every day even though it's tempting to just curl up inside all day. Doesn't matter if it's dark or light, warm-ish or cold. The fresh air adds some reality to life in a way, and can give an energy push.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I have a pretty long established cycle at this point and it works for me. My last cycling event is usually around the end of October and it's just a fun charity ride...so my training typically starts to decline in October and I just kind of take November and December off which allows me a nice break and some good rest. I still hit the weight room a few days per week and make sure I get out for some walks, but that's about it. My general activity also tends to decline as we are just not out and about and doing stuff in the winter as much as we are during the warmer months.

My cycling season starts in the spring, so I typically commence training again in early January. From October through early January I typically put on about 8 to 10 Lbs. In January when I start training again and start being more focused with my nutrition I start dropping weight and I'm usually down to my maintenance weight in 2-3 months or so depending on how vigilant I am with my nutrition.

I do a lot more "hibernating" and t.v. watching and such in the winter, but it doesn't really worry me too much because I've basically been running this type of cycle for about 9-10 years at this point. I don't have depression like symptoms though...so that would be another matter if you have seasonal affective disorder, which is fairly common, especially in areas where it's dark much of the time. I am fortunate that even in winter, most days, while cold, are still sunny most of the time during daylight hours where I live. I'm not sure how I would handle somewhere cold, dark, and overcast most of the time.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I get this from about October to mid January. I dont know where you are vut everyone in my country (England, well, and the rest of the UK) should be supplementing vitamin D as we don't get enough sunlight. However my levels have been optimal for years now and it doesn't make a difference. I just do what I can, try to go easy on myself for "not doing enough", and try to take care of myself as best I can and find joy in the things I can, because that's all I can do. Maintaining exercise is important, I find, but I have dogs so walks are thankfully not optional.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan, and have this every year.

I have added a happy lamp, 30 minutes every morning with my coffee.

I take Vitamin D3.

Some years, I use a tanning facility 2 times a week. This is a game changer, but I hate the skin cancer connection.

This year, I added 5 HTP. It works like an anti depressant….but it is natural. It makes a difference, but doesn’t necessarily have to be taken every day. I stared at a low dose.

Friend me and stay connected! This season shall pass! 💛
  • Mountainbreezes
    Mountainbreezes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions y'all! I did start taking a higher dose vitamin D. I had been taking the 1000 IU every other day earlier in the winter but I'm wondering if the dose just wasn't high enough as it didn't seem to help, but per suggestions I got the 5000 IU and have been taking that daily and it seems to be making a difference already. Another thing I started doing is listening to 'summer bird sounds' tracks on my phone as background, it tricks my brain just enough in the mornings to get up and get going, but then I have the letdown when I step outside into the snow!
    skarlett_k, I have dogs too and thats really helped keep me active when I don't want to do anything too, they don't let me sit around too much.
    Thankfully I don't live in as cold and dark places as some of y'all, hopefully our winter will be over by mid-February, although typically it'll go to at least March but by then you can start to see signs of spring even if it is still snowing!