Angry sad face

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
edited January 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
20220115-140759.jpg

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/proton-fl-hoody

That is where the zipper is supposed to be. I realized it was missing after I drove 75 minutes one way to the ski area. I hand washed the jacket last night, but put it through the dryer because it's good for the DWR.

This is my third winter with it. That jacket is wonderful to ski in, it's also the color of glacial lakes, which reminds me of my best days hiking and climbing, never failing to make me happy.

I'm going to have it repaired, which will probably cost almost as much as the jacket did and take months. Except for the zipper it looks like the day I bought it.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    20220115-140759.jpg

That is where the zipper is supposed to be. I realized it was missing after I drove 75 minutes one way to the ski area. I hand washed the jacket last night, but put it through the dryer because it's good for the DWR.

This is my third winter with it. That jacket is wonderful to ski in, it's also the color of glacial lakes, which reminds me of my best days hiking and climbing, never failing to make me happy.

I'm going to have it repaired, which will probably cost almost as much as the jacket did and take months. Except for the zipper it looks like the day I bought it.

Hum--sorry for your problem. Next time put the jacket in a nylon laundry bag (for delicate articles) before drying in the dryer OR dry inside out with the jacket zipped up on the inside.

If you were in Rome I know a place where they repair zippers while still on the article.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    20220115-140759.jpg

Hum--sorry for your problem. Next time put the jacket in a nylon laundry bag (for delicate articles) before drying in the dryer OR dry inside out with the jacket zipped up on the inside.

If you were in Rome I know a place where they repair zippers while still on the article.

I might look into shipping it to Rome if I can't find a better option. 🙂 I had a zipper replaced entirely a few years ago on another jacket and wasn't very happy with the result. If it can be fixed instead of replaced that sounds like a win.

And thanks for the advice about not letting this happen again!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Zipper replacement should be an easy, cheap task. If you can't find a good tailor or seamstress to do it for a reasonable price, then take it to a shoe repair place, they sew in new zippers all the time.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I thought arcteryx was guaranteed for life? I would ask REI if it’s near you or contact the company. That zipper should not have come off and for what they charge for their jackets ( I own 3 of them) it’s worth asking. Also using outside repair could void any warranty on waterproof etc so ask the company first. FWIW I do know REI uses a company in Seattle for repairs and cleaning because I used them to clean my super expensive western mountaineering sleeping bag ( Rainy Pass is the company name). Let me know what happens.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I thought arcteryx was guaranteed for life? I would ask REI if it’s near you or contact the company. That zipper should not have come off and for what they charge for their jackets ( I own 3 of them) it’s worth asking. Also using outside repair could void any warranty on waterproof etc so ask the company first. FWIW I do know REI uses a company in Seattle for repairs and cleaning because I used them to clean my super expensive western mountaineering sleeping bag ( Rainy Pass is the company name). Let me know what happens.

It might be a dumb assumption on my part that they're closed for MLK Day, being a Canadian company. But I'm going to reach out to them tomorrow.

I don't know if they do repairs. I damaged a Goretex jacket, they replaced it (free) after 13 years of use. Told me to pick a color from their current selection, and that it didn't even have to be the same jacket.

I love teal. It's the color of glacial melt lakes in sunny days. Reminds me of my best days, hiking and climbing adventures. I would prefer to keep this one. 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    Zipper replacement should be an easy, cheap task. If you can't find a good tailor or seamstress to do it for a reasonable price, then take it to a shoe repair place, they sew in new zippers all the time.

Yes, but getting the right zipper (in that nice color) may be the challenge.

A patient person willing to do a little research could easily replace a zipper, even with hand sewing IMO, if willing to devote the time, even without pre-existing sewing skills. (Strong hand sewing, with something like a small backstitch say, is slow. Probably need a good pusher, doesn't have to be a thimble, too.)

One "maybe" option: Might be able to find a replacement slider, shorten the zipper length to the good-integrity remaining bit, add a new stop. If the slider was still in the washing machine, kept it, it might be recoverable, even. I know replacement sliders used to exist, and a quick internet search suggests they still do. Probably wouldn't be the same color, if the slider was color-matched, though.