Alton Brown Weight Loss

Brown's diet plan categorized the food he gobbled into four categories according to consumption; daily, three times weekly, one time weekly, and 0 times weekly. The critical thing to Alton's diet is eating foods that are nutrient-rich. The four lists of food are as follows:

Fruits, leafy greens, carrots, whole grains, nuts, and green tea. Alton Brown partakes daily, some of the constituents from this list.
Oily fish, yogurt, broccoli, sweet potato, and avocado: constituents are consumed from this list at least thrice a week.
Red meat, pasta, alcohol, and desserts: taken no more than once a week
Fast food, soda, processed meals, canned soups, anything labeled 'diet' wholly avoided!
Alton Brown's diet plan food list.
https://glamourfame.com/full-story-on-alton-brown-weight-loss

b4io6aa5ojgm.jpg

***** I like this plan because it focuses on what to eat more than what not to eat! Do you think this part "Red meat, pasta, alcohol, and desserts: taken no more than once a week
Fast food, soda, processed meals, canned soups, anything labeled 'diet' wholly avoided!" is sustainable for most people, though?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    edited January 2022
    I don't think labeling any food a 'never' food is sustainable, unless the person in question doesn't like it or it would result in a health crisis (e.g. allergies). I really, really don't like the word never :unamused:

As for the choice of never foods, they seem quite arbitrary. Canned soups, why? I'm guessing because they can be high sodium and perhaps contain artificial flavors/flavor enhancers? It's a gross generalisation of what canned soups contain. And high sodium isn't even an issue for everyone (e.g. me, I have low blood pressure, I need sodium).
    And diet foods: yet again based on a generalisation of what these foods contain? For some people this is a viable alternative, for example sugar-free versions of desserts to satisfy their sweet tooth without making their blood sugar skyrocket. Or lower fat options for high calorie foods, that fit more easily into a calorie budget.
    Processed meals? Without a proper definition of 'processed' this isn't even a useful category.

Many (most?) of the vegetables I eat aren't anywhere to be found in this plan, because they aren't 'leafy greens', nor carrots, broccoli, cauliflower or sweet potato.

As a general idea, I don't object classing food into frequency categories to aim for, I'm sure it could be helpful for some. But the precise split is certainly not one I would endorse or follow myself.
    Great if it worked for him, though.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I completely agree on the NEVER categories, for myself, at least. I eat mostly Amy's soups and the lower sodium varieties. For fast food, I usually get a kid's meal or the sandwich or burger with a small drink. I do try to limit soda, but would hate to completely cut it out!

I generally stick to a weekly meal plan, so it'd easy for me to incorporate the rest of this into it, and maybe do red meat, pasta, alcohol, and desserts on weekends only.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2022
    I think that the idea is relatively solid, assuming that everyone would make their own lists based on personal preferences and dietary needs. I don't think the expectation is that you exactly follow this one guy's plan. The point, I think, is moderation of certain foods.

That said, I agree that "never" foods are a no-go for me, unless they were foods I didn't really like, couldn't moderate, or had a bad reaction to.

In regards to his "never" list, I agree that canned soup is an odd addition. Everything on that list could easily be incorporated into a healthy diet, especially if it's not a frequent treat.

Also not sure why he would only eat yogurt or broccoli three times a week, but again, I'm assuming the idea is for everyone to make their own lists, not use his.
  • NVintage
    I'm not sure about the yogurt and broccoli either, but I did read that his list is based on science and his own research.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    NVintage wrote: »
    Do you think this part "Red meat, pasta, alcohol, and desserts: taken no more than once a week
    Fast food, soda, processed meals, canned soups, anything labeled 'diet' wholly avoided!" is sustainable for most people, though?

I would find this easy to sustain (although I do choose to drink the occasional diet coke or diet ginger ale), but I think part of it is how "I don't eat this" affects you, and also how hardcore you feel you have to be about it. I generally don't eat the foods listed above (not because of any rule, but just personal preference), but if on a road trip with no other options I'll eat fast food and it doesn't bother me, I bought some canned soups in March '20 in case I got stuck at home and stuff wasn't available at the store, etc.

I think the bigger question is if there is any reason to put those on a "I don't eat them" list. For some people that might work, for others different foods or none would be the ones to choose. Alton Brown tends to be thoughtful about what works for him, so I doubt he's suggesting people should just follow his personal choices, so I think the broad scheme seems pretty reasonable.

I also really like the focus on what he does eat. Again, it wouldn't work precisely the same for me (I hate green tea, I like broccoli and eat it a lot and see no reason to say I must eat it 3 times a week although I often do, vs other veg, and I am only so so about sweet potatoes and am happy eating them only occasionally), but I suspect part of the point is figuring out what works for you for diet and nutrition.
  • ADC0809
    ADC0809 Posts: 24 Member
    I do appreciate a good piece of bacon, but I do like the idea as a starting place. I think for me I could move the alcohol to the bottom and the processed meal (bacon) to once a week list.

Obviously not every plan would work for everyone but this does seem doable being like you said it focuses on what you can eat as opposed to what not to eat. So if you were planning a menu for the week you have a great starting point what to go heavy on and what to limit.
  • NVintage
    edited January 2022
    I think so, too! The broccoli and cauliflower might just be to include cruciferous veggies. If so, cole slaw would work too. I could get most of his foods in by planning a salad or burrito bowl for lunch and then doing a fish taco recipe with some Greek yogurt slaw a few times per week...

https://youtu.be/VDv0vzH0zys

and maybe a tofu sweet potato curry a few times per week

https://youtu.be/7y2mUl4wxaI

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    It seems like it would be very low in protein.

Any diet that is really restrictive can work -- for a while. Most people get bored eating the same food over and over and start having cheat days which turn into cheat weeks which end up with ther person stopping the diet entirely.
  • NVintage
    True...I usually stick to the same meals at home saving me time and money on groceries, but eat out at restaurants a few times per week.
  • NVintage
    450r3e94zjxe.png

I somehow got this right at 1500 calories :D !
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    It seems like it would be very low in protein.

Any diet that is really restrictive can work -- for a while. Most people get bored eating the same food over and over and start having cheat days which turn into cheat weeks which end up with ther person stopping the diet entirely.

I'm not interpreting it to mean those are the only foods he eats, so he could include other sources of protein (like chicken or cottage cheese or eggs or beans or tofu or various seafood/greek yogurt more often). I see it as foods he makes sure to eat daily, foods he makes sure to eat at least 3 times a week, and then foods he limits, with others not specified.

So I'm not seeing it as especially restrictive (depending on how much the particular limitations identified would feel restrictive to someone, of course).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    As a broad plan I think it's completely reasonable, adjusted for personal preferences. His once per week stuff is pretty on par with my own though I do eat red meat a couple of times per week...but I primarily eat chicken and fish and eggs for my animal proteins.

I don't know that the "never" stuff would be particularly realistic for most people. I most certainly try to limit that stuff and rarely eat fast food, but schedules can be hectic and sometimes there's not really much of a choice. As processed foods go, we do keep on hand some pretty much heat and eat type of stuff from Costco like their street tacos and such...but really, they're just doing the prep so I don't see it as all that much different from me just buying all the ingredients and making my own...it just saves us some time on busy nights or nights that we don't really feel like going through the whole prep and cooking process and just want to pop something in the oven or whatever. For myself, I'd say his "never" foods are just my sometimes foods but not a particularly material aspect of my overall diet.

I also limit how much I eat out or get take out to usually once or twice per week and have other various rules for myself.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    He lost me at “3 servings of yogurt per week”.

And I love canned Italian Wedding and boxed creamy tomato. I use it as a base to add lots of yum to.

As much as I’d love to eat nuts every day, I’d rather spend my calories on something more filling.

And dessert once a week? Dude, I thought you were a cook. Surely you can come up with something you can enjoy daily?!!!!!! If I can, you can.

Ha! Totally agree, here. I kind of see where he's coming from on canned or pre-prepared soups, though. He's a cook. He probably has luscious rich home made stocks on hand at all times. If so, he is always in the ready position to throw together an incredible soup, one into which he knows EXACTLY what went in. From that vantage point, why would you ever reach for canned?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    He lost me at “3 servings of yogurt per week”.

And I love canned Italian Wedding and boxed creamy tomato. I use it as a base to add lots of yum to.

As much as I’d love to eat nuts every day, I’d rather spend my calories on something more filling.

And dessert once a week? Dude, I thought you were a cook. Surely you can come up with something you can enjoy daily?!!!!!! If I can, you can.

Absolutely the way I feel as well.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Lost me when the never list is my daily list. 🤷‍♀️
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    edited January 2022
    I completely agree on the NEVER categories, for myself, at least. I eat mostly Amy's soups and the lower sodium varieties. For fast food, I usually get a kid's meal or the sandwich or burger with a small drink. I do try to limit soda, but would hate to completely cut it out!

I generally stick to a weekly meal plan, so it'd easy for me to incorporate the rest of this into it, and maybe do red meat, pasta, alcohol, and desserts on weekends only.

How can you say you agree on the NEVER categories, which includes canned soup, and then say that you eat canned soup, eat fast food, and don't completely cut out soda? Never means not at all, ever.

ETA: And I see this repeated several times in this thread by others saying things like "this is completely doable but I couldn't give up X."
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2022

How can you say you agree on the NEVER categories, which includes canned soup, and then say that you eat canned soup, eat fast food, and don't completely cut out soda? Never means not at all, ever.

ETA: And I see this repeated several times in this thread by others saying things like "this is completely doable but I couldn't give up X."

I think the OP was saying they agree with the previous posters...not agreeing about the items in the "never" category.