I need some exercise guidance

Options
2»

Replies

• Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest something I should have done when I first started going to the gym. I did exactly what you did, then spent months researching online, trying to learn before finally getting somewhere. At this point I was over a year in and still didn't feel like I know how to use half the equipment in the gym properly.

The solution was a personal trainer. I asked the gym manager to recommend a trainer that can help me work out a program and show me how to do it. It only took me 3 sessions with the trainer. After that, I felt far more confident and could understand the terminology I was reading online.

I kick myself thinking that I could have saved myself a year of lost productivity, but it was the path I went through to get me where I am now.

So that's my suggestion. Get a trainer to work out a program for you. Make sure you tell them that you aren't looking for ongoing training, just help to get you started so you feel more confident using the equipment and you're using it the right way.

Cosigning the suggestion to get a personal trainer. Every gym I've ever joined (and there have been many, as I used to move a lot) offered 1-3 sessions for free upon joining. If your gym had this but you never took advantage of it, perhaps it is not too late.

A more economical option is small group workshops with a trainer. As another poster said, this are instructional, not group workouts. My gyms have offered this for free or super cheap. I've found them to be a great investment.

I hear that you don't want to be around a lot of people. I get this - I haven't even been in a gym for the duration. You could find out how sparsely attended trainer classes are these days.

I had a personal trainer about a year ago, and unfortunately things got really messy for her and there were somethings really terrible that happened in her life. Currently at the gym I go to (Planet Fitness) I believe they have ‘group training’ there where a trainer will help a small group to do exercises. I might see to it that going back may be something I can benefit from, as I can pay more attention to what we’re doing and modify it for myself. I do not think they cost anything extra, so it might be something to look into! Right now, Covid is hitting hard in my area, so I’ve been reluctant to go out, but I’m hoping that I can get myself started enough that I’ll have a sufficient library and knowledge to take it on my own. =D
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    @ecjim asked an important question: what did you do when you last lost weight?

I would expand to point out that you are the best expert on you that will ever exist (not that you can't get even better). Assess your goals, your strengths, your weaknesses. What resources can you afford? Choices are doctors, nutritionists, personal trainers, exercise class leaders (small and big group trainers, at home training, like Peloton), life coaches, and psychologists. Who are you willing to listen to? Who are you willing to pay out of pocket? How much are you willing to pay?

For people that don't go to the gym currently: you don't have to. Certainly not to lose weight, but also not to keep reasonably fit. As you point out, walking and running are great. There are lots of home workouts on YouTube plus a huge range of home exercise equipment with at-home training (e.g., Peloton and the like).

Best of luck!

I had access to a game that used weights and circuit training, along with doing zumba. I no longer have the game, but I realize that maybe doing weighted circuit training was what really helped, along with tracking what I was eating and eating at a deficit. I think Peloton is a bit too pricey for me at the moment, but from what I’ve been seeing, there are more price friendly ways for me to get started and hit my goals on a budget. I do know and understand that my health is worth more to me, so I do need to invest. I’ll just have to start somewhere and keep moving forward!
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There are a ton of good off the shelf programs out there...none of them are perfect as they have to be catered to the masses rather than individualized like you would get with a trainer, but there are a lot of good programs out there to choose from.

Reps, sets, different splits, etc are all going to be variable depending on what your purpose is. A powerlifter for example is going to have a completely different kind of program than a bodybuilder who is going to have a completely different kind of programming than someone just looking to be fit and obtain a fitness type of physique.

I lift primarily for fitness and my health as I age to preserve muscle mass and bone density, but also for reasonably good aesthetics. I am partial to full body splits that focus largely on compound movements with little in the way of isolation movements. I don't like spending a ton of time in the gym or being there daily as also have other fitness interests. My program looks like this and usually take me around 45 minutes:

Workout A:
    Squat - 4 sets x 5-8 reps
    Flat Bench - 4 sets x 5-8 reps
    Lat pulldown - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
    Romanian Deadlift - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3 sets x 8-10 reps
    Face Pull - 3 sets x 10-15 reps

Workout B:
    Deadlift - 3 sets x 5-8 reps
    Incline Bench - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
    Cable Rows - 4 sets 10-12 reps
    Hack Squat - 4 sets 10-12 reps
    Lateral Raise - 3 sets 10-15 reps

I do this 3x per week on non-consecutive days in an A, B, A then B, A, B and so on fashion week to week. I also like this because if I have a busy week and can only make it twice that week, it doesn't really set me back too much. When I am able to do the full number of sets at the highest number of reps I increase the weight which brings me back down to the lower rep range for a particular movement until I work back up to the top again and add more weight, rinse and repeat. This keeps me lifting in different rep ranges and from living in one particular rep range for any movement as I have no reason to specialize.

Typically, lower rep ranges (5-6 reps) triggers more CNS adaptation and strength gains. Middle reps (8-10) are a good combination of strength and hypertrophy. Higher reps (12+) are good for muscular endurance. In regards to general fitness I think they are all important and it is beneficial for the general population to lift in various rep ranges.

This is really helpful! Switching them up from week to week sounds like it’ll help stave off your body getting complacent. My main goal is to yes lose weight, but also to have more lean muscle, which in the end, is going to help raise my metabolism. I’d like to be leaner, and not bulk, so I understand there’s a different way to train for that, but I still need to gain the muscle regardless! I may sound a bit uninformed, but what is CNS adaptation? I’m imagining that’s more for building strength and muscle correct? Or am I completely wrong?

The information here is really insightful! Thank you!
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    If you like working out solo, and like guidance, what about following someone on YouTube? I can give you a couple trainers that all you have to do is whatever they post each day or follow their schedule/calendar and do the workouts in their channel.
    Sydney Cummings
    Cdornerfitness
    Growingannanas
    Pahla B (not a real schedule, but totally fine for beginners)

Thank you! I’ll check them out! =D
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    I'm going to suggest something I should have done when I first started going to the gym. I did exactly what you did, then spent months researching online, trying to learn before finally getting somewhere. At this point I was over a year in and still didn't feel like I know how to use half the equipment in the gym properly.

The solution was a personal trainer. I asked the gym manager to recommend a trainer that can help me work out a program and show me how to do it. It only took me 3 sessions with the trainer. After that, I felt far more confident and could understand the terminology I was reading online.

I kick myself thinking that I could have saved myself a year of lost productivity, but it was the path I went through to get me where I am now.

So that's my suggestion. Get a trainer to work out a program for you. Make sure you tell them that you aren't looking for ongoing training, just help to get you started so you feel more confident using the equipment and you're using it the right way.

I’m seeing that getting a personal trainer seems to be a very popular and common idea! I believe the gym I go to offers something similar through group training, but asking for a 1 on 1 session or something to get an idea of reps and sets might just be nice to ask for.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,154 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of good off the shelf programs out there...none of them are perfect as they have to be catered to the masses rather than individualized like you would get with a trainer, but there are a lot of good programs out there to choose from.

Reps, sets, different splits, etc are all going to be variable depending on what your purpose is. A powerlifter for example is going to have a completely different kind of program than a bodybuilder who is going to have a completely different kind of programming than someone just looking to be fit and obtain a fitness type of physique.

I lift primarily for fitness and my health as I age to preserve muscle mass and bone density, but also for reasonably good aesthetics. I am partial to full body splits that focus largely on compound movements with little in the way of isolation movements. I don't like spending a ton of time in the gym or being there daily as also have other fitness interests. My program looks like this and usually take me around 45 minutes:

Workout A:

Workout B:

I do this 3x per week on non-consecutive days in an A, B, A then B, A, B and so on fashion week to week. I also like this because if I have a busy week and can only make it twice that week, it doesn't really set me back too much. When I am able to do the full number of sets at the highest number of reps I increase the weight which brings me back down to the lower rep range for a particular movement until I work back up to the top again and add more weight, rinse and repeat. This keeps me lifting in different rep ranges and from living in one particular rep range for any movement as I have no reason to specialize.

Typically, lower rep ranges (5-6 reps) triggers more CNS adaptation and strength gains. Middle reps (8-10) are a good combination of strength and hypertrophy. Higher reps (12+) are good for muscular endurance. In regards to general fitness I think they are all important and it is beneficial for the general population to lift in various rep ranges.

This is really helpful! Switching them up from week to week sounds like it’ll help stave off your body getting complacent. My main goal is to yes lose weight, but also to have more lean muscle, which in the end, is going to help raise my metabolism. I’d like to be leaner, and not bulk, so I understand there’s a different way to train for that, but I still need to gain the muscle regardless! I may sound a bit uninformed, but what is CNS adaptation? I’m imagining that’s more for building strength and muscle correct? Or am I completely wrong?

CNS = central nervous system
    CNS adaptation is that you get stronger because your body is more efficient at activating your muscles and is better at coordinating the activation of the different muscles (without necessarily increasing muscle mass).

Bulking and getting leaner are a product of your calorie intake, not of the rep range of your exercises. Building muscle and losing fat mass at the same time isn't ideal because building muscle is easiest in a calorie surplus. But it's not impossible for (relative) beginners.
    You could try recomposition (maintaining weight while building muscle and losing fat mass) which is a slow process. But I think that's not what you are looking for - you want to lose weight?
    Or you could eat at a small deficit and lose weight slowly while strength training (and eating sufficient protein) which would protect the muscle mass you have and hopefully help you build some. The larger your calorie deficit, the less likely you'll build muscle mass.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Workout A:

Workout B:

CNS adaptation is that you get stronger because your body is more efficient at activating your muscles and is better at coordinating the activation of the different muscles (without necessarily increasing muscle mass).

Bulking and getting leaner are a product of your calorie intake, not of the rep range of your exercises. Building muscle and losing fat mass at the same time isn't ideal because building muscle is easiest in a calorie surplus. But it's not impossible for (relative) beginners.
    You could try recomposition (maintaining weight while building muscle and losing fat mass) which is a slow process. But I think that's not what you are looking for - you want to lose weight?
    Or you could eat at a small deficit and lose weight slowly while strength training (and eating sufficient protein) which would protect the muscle mass you have and hopefully help you build some. The larger your calorie deficit, the less likely you'll build muscle mass.

Oh! Thank you for explaining that! Honestly I’ve heard so much information that conflicts everything I’ve known that it’s been hard for me to calculate what my needs are because of it.

Yes, my goal is to lose weight and lean out (lose fat mass). My lifestyle is sedentary, and last I went to try to figure out my macros it set me at 2,349 cals, 52% carbs 25% fat and 23% protein. I’ve been told to lose fat, that I must build more muscle, in order to boost my metabolism that will have me torch more calories during rest, so I need to eat more and lift more.

Granted, I love the idea of being strong, and possibly strengthening my leg muscles for running, but currently the goal is to lose fat. I feel that a lot of this info helps me understand my goals a bit more, and could help me tweak my nutrition and training!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options

Workout A:

Workout B:

Oh! Thank you for explaining that! Honestly I’ve heard so much information that conflicts everything I’ve known that it’s been hard for me to calculate what my needs are because of it.

Yes, my goal is to lose weight and lean out (lose fat mass). My lifestyle is sedentary, and last I went to try to figure out my macros it set me at 2,349 cals, 52% carbs 25% fat and 23% protein. I’ve been told to lose fat, that I must build more muscle, in order to boost my metabolism that will have me torch more calories during rest, so I need to eat more and lift more.

Granted, I love the idea of being strong, and possibly strengthening my leg muscles for running, but currently the goal is to lose fat. I feel that a lot of this info helps me understand my goals a bit more, and could help me tweak my nutrition and training!!

You don't need to eat more if your goal is to lose weight. Eat at a slight caloric deficit and keep lifting progressively. There is no reason to change up your routine once you pick a program. The goal is to get stronger, maintain muscle mass, as you lose fat. Is there a reason you believe that you don't already have muscle mass? It is possible to build a little muscle while losing weight if you are new to lifting and have sufficient fat stores and stimulate the muscle properly(progressive overload). Otherwise, you ostly try to preserve what you have and then build later. I hope that made sense...
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options

Workout A:

Workout B:

You don't need to eat more if your goal is to lose weight. Eat at a slight caloric deficit and keep lifting progressively. There is no reason to change up your routine once you pick a program. The goal is to get stronger, maintain muscle mass, as you lose fat. Is there a reason you believe that you don't already have muscle mass? It is possible to build a little muscle while losing weight if you are new to lifting and have sufficient fat stores and stimulate the muscle properly(progressive overload). Otherwise, you ostly try to preserve what you have and then build later. I hope that made sense...

Oh yeah, I think that makes sense. I used to do some lifting before with a friend who knew what she was doing but never really explained to me at all why we were doing the moves, or why we did some higher reps on one, and lower on the other. It really felt like it was a "just follow me, and you'll be fine." But without knowing the why, it was really hard for me to take what I knew and apply it myself. That was the most frustrating bit of it. However, now, with some knowledge, I feel like I can try and tailor a regime that works for me.

I have 'some' muscle mass but a lot more fat mass than I should have. I'd like to strengthen my core, back and legs, as I would like to run more efficiently, but I absolutely have to lose this fat first. Thankfully I think I have the tools now to figure this out.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    The good news is that you don't need to pay anything and you don't even need to lift a single weight to get in shape. You can if you want to, but you absolutely do not need to.

When you have excess weight, you are CONSTANTLY doing weight bearing exercise as long as you are moving. In fact, if you're obese, you're lifting a lot more weight than most people in the gym. All you have to do is move your body as much as you comfortably can.

Seriously, taking a nice long walk if you have excess weight and weak muscles is a significant weight bearing activity that's likely to have more impact on your overall strength and fitness than a 40 minute intense weightlifting workout in the gym.

Now, if you LIKE the gym and really enjoy lifting weights, then do that. Do whatever it is that you enjoy the most and will stick with for hours a week without giving up on it because you've had a tiring day.

Better yet, have a BUNCH of different activities for every energy level and mood you can encounter. Have weight lifting for days you feel motivated to push hard, have a long gentle walk for days you feel stressed and tired, have a pilates video for when you want to lie down for exercise or feel too lazy to leave the house, have an exercise that you can mindlessly do in front of the TV like a smart hula hoop, an exercise that you can do with a friend, a scheduled class that keeps you on a schedule if that would help you, etc, etc.

My husband and I exercise A LOT, not because we have a strict routine, but because we have so many exercise options that there's never a day where we have a reason not to exercise. If I REALLY feel like crap, which happens often because I'm sick and disabled, then I just do my physio exercises, which are very gentle and always make my body feel better. They don't make me ripped, but they're still exercise, I'm still moving my body for an hour that day instead of sitting on my *kitten* for another hour. No matter what, we do *something*, and it's easy, because we're never doing exercise that we don't feel like doing.

If you are out of shape, what you need is to move and to move often. Don't fixate on a prescriptive, specific routine, because that won't always work with your real day to day life, if it did, you probably would have done it by now, and that's why most people do exercise in fits and bursts, and then spend the majority of their time being sedentary.

Identify what normally holds you back from exercise and find creative solutions around it. It doesn't have tp feel hard to be exercise, you just have to keep moving.

I think that's an excellent idea! I think this whole feeling overwhelmed and not knowing where to start was holding me back, but as you state, the best thing to do is to get up and move. I've been starting to go for 2 mile walks, for 3 days out of the week. It's relaxing and gets me out of the house, despite it being below freezing at times! I have some workouts, and dancing games that I think are fun, I've always loved Zumba, and I think getting back into that would be great. 30 min full body, bodyweight workouts feel like they'd fit in well.

I agree and think having an arsenal of fun workouts to do to keep things entertaining might be the best way to start and find out what works.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Workout A:

Workout B:

CNS is Central Nervous System. Lower reps with higher weight as a % of your maximum on a particular lift triggers CNS adaptation which is, essentially your nervous system adapting to load and becoming more efficient in recruiting existing muscle fibers to move more weight without necessarily putting on more mass.

You don't really need to worry about "bulking"...it is a very deliberate act both in training protocol and diet (surplus calories which provide for muscle growth, but also fat)...nobody does it accidentally and people who do this go through cycles of bulking and then cutting to cut the fat they inevitably put on.

The program I run, while having elements of both strength and hypertrophy in regards to rep ranges, is neither a strength or hypertrophy (bulking) specific program. A true hypertrophy program would have more movements and volume per muscle group to include more isolation movements, which you can see I have very little of...I don't even really do any specific isolation movements specifically for my arms because they get work elsewhere. My routine is more general fitness...I've run similar over the years, and when I'm leaned out to where I want to be (which I am currently not) it just leaves me with a well proportioned physique that looks strong and fit, but not that of a power lifter or bodybuilder...more "sporty" or athletic.

For the general masses, resistance training is important namely for preservation of muscle mass and bone density (particularly for women) as we lose both as we age if we aren't putting in the work. A really nice bonus is changes in body composition and aesthetics. While it is true that more muscle burns more calories at rest, this is often overstated. For the average person, this is going to be a relatively marginal number of calories...because the average person isn't putting on slabs of muscle like a bodybuilder or powerlifter. The true and measurable health benefits of resistance training are as I stated above. In regards to burning more calories at rest, I would look at it more like "I will continue to burn more calories at rest than my peers as I age because at minimum I'm preserving the muscle mass I have"...outside of just moving less, one of the biggest factors in metabolism slowing as we age is the loss of muscle mass. So really, it's more about maintaining your resting metabolism as well as your capabilities and physique as you age than it is "I'm going to supersize my metabolism by putting on more muscle"...that would take a considerable amount of muscle...as in bulking...a lot.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Options

Workout A:

Workout B:

CNS is Central Nervous System. Lower reps with higher weight as a % of your maximum on a particular lift triggers CNS adaptation which is, essentially your nervous system adapting to load and becoming more efficient in recruiting existing muscle fibers to move more weight without necessarily putting on more mass.

You don't really need to worry about "bulking"...it is a very deliberate act both in training protocol and diet (surplus calories which provide for muscle growth, but also fat)...nobody does it accidentally and people who do this go through cycles of bulking and then cutting to cut the fat they inevitably put on.

The program I run, while having elements of both strength and hypertrophy in regards to rep ranges, is neither a strength or hypertrophy (bulking) specific program. A true hypertrophy program would have more movements and volume per muscle group to include more isolation movements, which you can see I have very little of...I don't even really do any specific isolation movements specifically for my arms because they get work elsewhere. My routine is more general fitness...I've run similar over the years, and when I'm leaned out to where I want to be (which I am currently not) it just leaves me with a well proportioned physique that looks strong and fit, but not that of a power lifter or bodybuilder...more "sporty" or athletic.

For the general masses, resistance training is important namely for preservation of muscle mass and bone density (particularly for women) as we lose both as we age if we aren't putting in the work. A really nice bonus is changes in body composition and aesthetics. While it is true that more muscle burns more calories at rest, this is often overstated. For the average person, this is going to be a relatively marginal number of calories...because the average person isn't putting on slabs of muscle like a bodybuilder or powerlifter. The true and measurable health benefits of resistance training are as I stated above. In regards to burning more calories at rest, I would look at it more like "I will continue to burn more calories at rest than my peers as I age because at minimum I'm preserving the muscle mass I have"...outside of just moving less, one of the biggest factors in metabolism slowing as we age is the loss of muscle mass. So really, it's more about maintaining your resting metabolism as well as your capabilities and physique as you age than it is "I'm going to supersize my metabolism by putting on more muscle"...that would take a considerable amount of muscle...as in bulking...a lot.

Oh yeah, I think that fits into what I'm aiming for. I'd like to lean out more as I'm not looking to really aim for being super athletic or anything. I'd like to be more fit, and in shape enough to feel healthy and enjoy some leisure running without feeling dead by mile 2 lol.

I'm assuming that with the program, to refrain from hitting a wall, you'd up the weights with the exercises so that it still remains challenging doing the same work outs. I am very appreciative of all the in-depth information about what's happening!
  • KristiiAly
    KristiiAly Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!! I’m just recently getting back into the swing of things myself, I understand how difficult things can become when you’re stressed. The most important thing I’ve come to learn is that when we are stressed, our body AND mind both need a deep rest and sometimes a reset. I think going for a couple walks a day on their own can help because it’s calming, especially at dusk for me. Not only does it help to calm your mind, but it gives your body something else to focus on that isn’t exhausting. Hope this helps!
    🏃‍♀️ Feel free to add me if you want and we can encourage each other! 👊👊❤️