Micronutrients Tracking

1kanok
1kanok Posts: 3 Member
(1) I've recently had surgery and need to track specific micronutrients but some of the nutrients in this app are based on % of DV (Daily Value). Are these DVs listed anywhere on the site? Is there any way to change that DV% field to specific amounts such as gram (g) or milligram (mg)?
(2) Also, I have a handful of these micronutrients to track yet they aren't all listed in this app. This app advertises that it tracks micronutrients but it appears to do so in a limited way. I wish the app would (A) allow users to select a default set of nutrients such as what's currently available (B) allow users to select the specific nutrients they want to track. I've yet to find an app that allows me to track the micronutrients and amounts that are useful to me. If I'm struggling with this, I'm sure others are too.

Replies

• buckleyb
    buckleyb Posts: 1 Member
    i also am looking for the listing of micronutrients.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,233 Member
    I think the ability to look at those as mg or g is a Premium feature that is not available in the free version.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    If you can find the USDA labeling regulations, I think that'll probably tell you how the manufacturers are supposed to calculate the percentages, so give you info about "% of what number". (I've found similar info in the past on the USDA web site.)

MFP has a massive food database (a plus) because it's crowd sourced: Any user can enter a new food, make that entry available to other users. The downside is that the database entries at best only include the data from the food product label at that point in time, and (worse yet) some users are sloppy about what they enter (maybe they only care about calories, don't double-check what they typed, who knows).

So, with that design philosophy, MFP can't let you select nutrients of importance to you to display that aren't nutrients on the food labels, because the data isn't in the database to support it. (MFP does have various screens & displays where you can see how you're doing on nutrients that aren't on your main diary page - columns of which also are customizable. Those won't be any more accurate than the database entries you chose, so choose good ones, or create your own.)

Have you looked at Cronometer?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    The database entries on MFP are by and large crowd sourced from other users. Most users enter this information using the nutritional label for a particular food and there are many micro-nutrients that aren't required on to be put on food labels and thus would be absent from any entry. Also, a lot of users just put in the calories and macro-nutrients. Trying to track micro-nutrients with MFP is a bit futile.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    nutritiondata.com provides detailed micronutrients from the USDA (not user sourced). It lacks features MFP has, but it provides what you need at the moment.