New to Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hi my name is Nicole and I am a serial starter and have tried everything from WW to Keto (which I lost a ton of weight but it is not sustainable for me and I gained half back). I read about IF here on myfitnesspal and thought it would be perfect for my crazy work schedule. I am hoping to find some friends to help with support and accountability, I am terrible with follow-through ( I even quit my therapist, lol) I have 70+ lbs to lose.
I am on day 2 of 16:8 and feeling pretty good, but I need to do more research to see what will work the best for my journey.
Good luck to everyone- 2022 will by our year!

Replies

• HelPur25
    HelPur25 Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I like doing 16:8 IF. My routine is to delay breakfast until around 11 a.m. (According to keto people, coffee with up to 50 cals. of cream/sweetener added doesn't count as breaking your fast in the morning.) Then I eat lunch around 2 or 3 p.m. and try to eat dinner by 7 p.m. This all helps me control total calories, and keeps me from mindlessly snacking in the evenings, which was previously a big problem for me. It also helped me distinguish true hunger from eating out of boredom or stress. I hope it works out well for you, too!

I would also like to lose ~70 lbs. The past two years have been especially unkind to me, since my gym closed permanently, I've been working from home, and I can't go to yoga classes. I used to go to a personal trainer twice a week and teach yoga classes one night a week. Now, I need to motivate myself to exercise at home by myself. It's not going so well!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Perhaps to keep it realistic as you hear more info.

https://youtu.be/i2o8Yr96Qlo
  • iDad74
    iDad74 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks into thr 16:8 model. I've done this before and did see results. My previous experience is not making this current go 'round any easier. But I'm adopting the Jocko Willink play book of extreme ownership and pushing forward at all cost. I break my fast at 12noon and I always reward myself with a meal tjat I actually like (today was turkey sausage, brown rice and veggies).

It's tough but i look at it like this...breaking fast means I completed a goal so each day I have an opportunity to be a winner. I like to win.
  • azpostal
    azpostal Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    HelPur25 wrote: »
    I like doing 16:8 IF. My routine is to delay breakfast until around 11 a.m. (According to keto people, coffee with up to 50 cals. of cream/sweetener added doesn't count as breaking your fast in the morning.) Then I eat lunch around 2 or 3 p.m. and try to eat dinner by 7 p.m. This all helps me control total calories, and keeps me from mindlessly snacking in the evenings, which was previously a big problem for me. It also helped me distinguish true hunger from eating out of boredom or stress. I hope it works out well for you, too!

I would also like to lose ~70 lbs. The past two years have been especially unkind to me, since my gym closed permanently, I've been working from home, and I can't go to yoga classes. I used to go to a personal trainer twice a week and teach yoga classes one night a week. Now, I need to motivate myself to exercise at home by myself. It's not going so well!
    Your routine sounds just like mine! I am new to IF and have been trying it since January 8. I am watching what I eat and trying to walk each day and I am down 7 pounds so far! Good luck with your journey
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I do IF. It actually developed on its own for me. Needing to have a 12-hour fasting window prior to blood glucose testing draws at the lab is what started it for me. However I do not follow a set program. My fast can last from that habitual 12-hour window up to 24 hours on any day. It all depends on how I am feeling hunger-wise and what’s going on in my schedule.

The important thing to keep in mind is that the purpose of using IF protocols to lose weight is that you must still keep an energy consumption deficit to lose pounds. Don’t grow your meal sizes or frequency during you feeds.