Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    [q My current program is 6 weeks and the next one is 10 weeks (with an 8 week alternative) so if I can start as I now plan to on Monday, January 31 I should still be able to fit in both programs. My 6 week plan starts out relatively gently as these programs go so hopefully I'm good for the 31st.

I did have another 4 week program I was going to run at the end leading up to the event, but that one will be out...but it was the least important anyway and it's just a lead up prep plan and I can just run it 4 weeks leading up to any particular event once I'm back in shape. The other two programs will definitely get me back into cycling shape.

orks out.

Sounds like a fun way to get into cycling shape. What plans do you use? Something online, such as the Trainerroad series, or a coached program?

Just using Zwift. They have some pretty good programs. My first priority is getting my FTP back up to something respectable as it has dipped quite a bit over these last couple of years of mostly being a weekend warrior on the bike.

Gotcha. A bunch of my friends are big fans of Zwift. Since I'm not using a coach this year, I'm leaning towards using Zwift as well. Thinking that in Feb I will start with the Zwift workout called "4 weeks to increase FTP".
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    100 Fwd Jump Rope
    50 Knee Tucks
    15 Pull-ups
    35 KBell Swing

12/10/8
    Landmine Curls
    Landmine Ext
    Overhead Press
    Rope Ext
    Hammer Curls
    Skull Crushers
    Preacher Curls
    Rev Grip Iso Ext
    Dbell Curls
    Iso Crusher

Sporty 40
    Situps/ Obliques/ Cable Crunches/ Hip Lifts/ Twists/ Chopper (H) / Rev Crunches/ Flutters

900 total reps
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Today was my first time cross-country skiing in my life (and I've only done alpine skiing 3 times in my life, so nearly 0 skiing experience).

OMG. In the tracks and on level terrain (or even uphill) it was fine, but the parts without tracks and downhill were tricky and even scary. Zero control 😳 I got technique tips from passersby when attempting to slowly go down a tiny slope, how embarrassing, lol. I'll admit that choosing to try this sport, as someone who is afraid of heights and slippery surfaces, is quite... illogical 😁

8 kilometers in total and I am physically wrecked. Lovely views though!
    zy0kjhmbwvg5.jpg

I've gone cc skiing exactly once in my life and had the same experience! (I've never been in downhill skiis) Any slight incline and I was out of control and on my butt. At some point I just felt like I was in a fist fight with the snow and was definitely not winning. Lol.. I'm glad I tried it though.

I think snowshoeing might be more my speed. I'll have to try that sometime.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Short on time today so just did 10K at lunch. Very easy paced, all under 65% max HR.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine today, 3 x (2K on, 2' off/CD), shooting for sub-2:30 pace in order to finish by midnight (!) - arbitrary goal. Pieces at 2:27/23spm, 2:26.7/20spm, 2:24.4/21spm.

If I'm trying to keep split down (a little), i.e. go faster, I need to remind myself to relax and keep rating (spm) down somewhat.

When pushing a little, I tend to get adrenalized 🙄, take the rating up, feel like I'm spending more energy than minimally necessary to get the target split. (Obviously, one can't take spm to 1 and get a fast split, but I can usually hit the same pace over a small range of spm, and somewhat lower in that range feels easier to sustain. Maybe that's just me.)

Anyway, just under 8' in Z4, 21'-ish in Z3, rest below. Near the end of the last 2k piece, I pushed the pace down further, into the mid-2-teens, for fun, hit 159bpm, which does have an AT-feeling RPE to it. (159 is just under 85% reserve, 88% max.)

Followed up the rowing with about 45' dumbbell supersets . . . yes, starting after midnight, because I'm that idiot.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    dralicephd wrote: »
    Today was my first time cross-country skiing in my life (and I've only done alpine skiing 3 times in my life, so nearly 0 skiing experience).

OMG. In the tracks and on level terrain (or even uphill) it was fine, but the parts without tracks and downhill were tricky and even scary. Zero control 😳 I got technique tips from passersby when attempting to slowly go down a tiny slope, how embarrassing, lol. I'll admit that choosing to try this sport, as someone who is afraid of heights and slippery surfaces, is quite... illogical 😁

zy0kjhmbwvg5.jpg

I've gone cc skiing exactly once in my life and had the same experience! (I've never been in downhill skiis) Any slight incline and I was out of control and on my butt. At some point I just felt like I was in a fist fight with the snow and was definitely not winning. Lol.. I'm glad I tried it though.

My problem wasn't falling, my problem was not being able to slow down! At one point I just had to cross my arms in front of my face while flying through a series of overhanging tree branches and hope for the best, waiting for an uphill slope to slow me down.
    Snowshoeing is definitely on our to do list too (we're here till Friday) which should be less scary, I hope. I much prefer a physical kind of workout than an adrenaline inducing one 🙂
  • Bandiiit31
    Bandiiit31 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yesterday workout was:

Brisk walk - 5 minutes
    Wide grip lat pull down
    Tricep cable pull down
    Chest press machine
    Lateral raise
    Seated row
    Preacher curl

I was very nervous since it was my first time lifting weights at this gym and there were quite a few people. I got through it eventually and I feel like I’ll become less nervous the more I go and the more familiar I become with the equipment.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    30 min of mobility and then a 10 min EMOM kettle bell swings. 20 EMOM...
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Gym workout this morning. Push/pull with kettlebells, equalizer bars, etc, plus KB squats and some core focused stuff like dynamic crunches with med ball.

Counting down the final week of daily outdoor runs/walks to complete the Winter Warrior challenge.
  • Sharsou
    Sharsou Posts: 8,844 Member
    Options
    Today was treadmill run 1.5 miles with 2 Inc and 8.6 km/hr speed for warm up. Chest exercises, bench press with dumbells and inclined, recline, chest fly, close, push ups and abs - crunches.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Bootcamp in the morning. Need to get off my *kitten* and continue with my running as I have a half marathon in less than 3 weeks.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    270 minutes on my Elliptical for 18.13 miles.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Ann -- did a similar workout to you. Did 2K X 3 today with lifting supersets in the AM.

Felt really pretty good about my times. 8:20s for the first two and 8:30 for the 3rd with only 3:30 rest between -- 2:06/2:06/2:07 paces for each. And this was after a leg workout. My work on form and lifting more consistently seems to be paying off. I'm still nowhere near my old paces back when I was 53 but it's the best I've seen in 3 years or so since my disc injury. I'll take it. Especially for two bouts of Covid after Summer. Not that long ago I struggled to get the 2Ks under 9 minutes when doing sets of them.

Around 900 calories on the hour (did a warmup and C/D on top of a few K meters).
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    My workout today was to briefly sit on the bed to put on fresh socks for running... then sleeping for nearly two hours. I'd say I totally smashed it :D

LOL! I guess your body had other plans. :smiley: Sometimes you just have to take those rest days as they come.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    75 1/2 Jax
    75 Skier
    50 Situps
    30 Hand Release Pushups
    20 Wipers
    10 Pullups

10/8/6
    Shrugs
    Iso Land Mine Arc
    Mil Press
    Rope to Face
    Monkey Rows
    Front Raises
    Rear Delt
    Lateral Raises
    Rev Grip Press Seated
    Wide Seated Rear Delt

Nifty 50
    Crunches / Cable Crunch / Knee Tucks / Rev Crunch/ Obliques/ Twists/ Supine Bike/ Choppers (H&L)

1000 Total Reps
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike for 11,126 meters. Set off with a little quicker ramp up than usual (without really trying) for some reason. Until a little push near the end (1:25 long) before the CD, it was all Z3. Peak at 150bpm, about 75% reserve, 83% max, but I wasn't near there for long.

Followed up with 16" core exercises, mostly with the ball.

@MikePfirrman, nice splits (good improvements) on the 2k pieces, especially having had the recent bumps in your path!
    dralicephd wrote: »

zy0kjhmbwvg5.jpg

My problem wasn't falling, my problem was not being able to slow down! At one point I just had to cross my arms in front of my face while flying through a series of overhanging tree branches and hope for the best, waiting for an uphill slope to slow me down.
    Snowshoeing is definitely on our to do list too (we're here till Friday) which should be less scary, I hope. I much prefer a physical kind of workout than an adrenaline inducing one 🙂

I hope it was at least vigorous on the flats? There's a reason why XC skiing has a rep as one of the most CV-intense exercise forms. 😉

I hear you on the downhill parts, though: They can be . . . exciting? . . . especially at first, without heels tied down. I used to XC ski, would try to snowplow to slow on the downhills, get my skis totally crossed and of course fall, usually halfway down the hill where I had trouble getting up again without sliding bodily downhill. Not pretty! 😆

My bigger problem was uphills, though: I'm not great at skiing up, ski-running up, or herringboning up. Sidestepping only works if wiiiide tracks. Fortunately, most of the the places to XC locally are fairly flat, or I'd probably still be out there floundering trying to climb some $%&% hill.

I watched my late husband snowshoe (on the old school beavertail style wood & rope snowshoes he'd used to run traps during high school in the 1960s). It didn't look fun to me. I should keep an open mind, though: The newer lightweight recreational snowshoes look more manageable. 😆

Good show, both of you, @Lietchi and @dralicephd, trying a new thing! I'm kind of fearful to try XC these days: None of my friends ski; I used to go out alone, but my skiing skills and osteoporosis are not a good combo for solo skiing these days, I feel like. Fun thing, though, and I do have the equipment. Once in a blue moon, we still even get enough snow to do it here.
  • Bandiiit31
    Bandiiit31 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Today’s workout
    3 sets of 12 reps
    -brisk 5 minute walk
    -Leg curl
    -Leg extension
    -Leg press
    - Squats
    -Crunches
    -Abdominal machine
  • miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Today’s workout was a 4 hour 850 calorie walk in Bouddi National Park. Today was Australia Day and a national holiday so it was nice to spend time with family.

Current Weight - 159.3lbs
    Goal Weight - 135 lbs
    Height - 5’4”
    Age- 45