Weekly goal not updating automatically with weight change

Recently, when my Current Weight reached my Goal Weight, the Weekly Goal setting automatically (and logically and correctly) switched from "Lose x kg per week" to "Maintain Weight". However, on recent weigh-ins my current weight has crept up to a kilo above my Goal Weight, but the Weekly Goal did not automatically switch back to the weight-loss setting -- instead, it has stayed on "Maintain weight". This is illogical - if my goal weight is X kg and my current weight is X+1 kg then obviously I do not want to "maintain weight", I want to lose again. Does anyone know how this is supposed to actually work and what the logic is supposed to be?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I didn't think the goal would switch automatically: I don't recall mine doing that at all.

Some people say MFP has automatically changed their calorie goal (not their loss rate) as they've changed weight, but I've always had to go back through guided setup to trigger that readjustment to happen.

I've never seen anyone mention before that they saw MFP change their goal (from lose to maintain) automatically. I'm not saying it didn't/doesn't happen, just that it's a new idea to me (and I didn't see it happen personally.)
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    1 kg is 2.2 lbs, which is well within the range of normal fluctuation for me and a lot of other people. Definitely not enough to make me think "oh, I have to start losing again." And I would expect the developers to take normal fluctuation into account.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    A couple thoughts: first, like Ann said, I had to manually go into "Goals" and check my weight and then "Save" for it to change.

Second, the changes don't really amount to much unless you hit a ten pound difference in your weight. I'm not even sure if the calories change for anything less than ten pounds, and it doesn't really change it from "Maintain" to "Lose" the way you're thinking it does.

Try the Goals/re-save thing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    @cmriverside, @SuzanneC1l9zz - OP is saying hers switched not just calorie goal, but goal weight loss rate (from "lose X per week" to "maintain") when she reached what she'd previously input as her goal weight. Did MFP do that automagically, for you? That was a new idea, for me, but maybe I missed an MFP feature.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've never seen MFP switch you from loss to maintain or vice versa based on whatever goal weight you put in. If I want to change that goal, I always have to go in and change it. It actually wouldn't make any sense as when I'm in maintenance, my weight typically fluctuates 2-3 lbs either way and sometimes more depending...MFP would be changing my weight management goal constantly if that happened automatically.

The only thing I ever remember MFP doing automatically was reducing your calories a bit for every 10 Lbs you lost.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    I never reached what I initially set as my goal. I got to a place where I was happy, about 5 lbs heavier, and decided to switch it to maintenance manually 🤷‍♀️
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    It doesn't update well (and only does it accurately with a 10 point loss). I always reset manually because not having it accurate really messes up calorie calculations.