Newbie!

Options
A calorie question… I’ve got approx 4stone to lose to get to my weight of 3 years ago. I’m set at 1200 calories a day… is this about right? And the extra calories I gain from exercise etc. should I be eating that much extra or not?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Remember you control to a large degree the target calories you get by the choices you make when you do your goal set up. They are very much choices and choices that come with consequences - pick a fast rate of loss and you get a very small allowance.

Think very carefully about the goal you choose. Is it suitable? Importantly, is it sustainable for what will be many months? No-one knows anything about you apart from what you state in this thread so impossible for strangers to make a sensible assessment purely based on how much you have to lose.
    Just beware of making a hard job so difficult that you fail.

And that calorie target you currently have set is 1200 + exercise calories and only 1200 on a day you do no purposeful exercise.
    It's very short-sighted and often counter-productive to pick the minimum allowance this app will set for you and then deliberately under-cut it by ignoring what is a perfectly valid energy demand of your body.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Remember you control to a large degree the target calories you get by the choices you make when you do your goal set up. They are very much choices and choices that come with consequences - pick a fast rate of loss and you get a very small allowance.

Think very carefully about the goal you choose. Is it suitable? Importantly, is it sustainable for what will be many months? No-one knows anything about you apart from what you state in this thread so impossible for strangers to make a sensible assessment purely based on how much you have to lose.
    Just beware of making a hard job so difficult that you fail.

And that calorie target you currently have set is 1200 + exercise calories and only 1200 on a day you do no purposeful exercise.
    It's very short-sighted and often counter-productive to pick the minimum allowance this app will set for you and then deliberately under-cut it by ignoring what is a perfectly valid energy demand of your body.

I second this. I would also suggest you "diet" on the maximal amount of calories you can to start. This way you can reduce them as you lose weight or adjust if you don't. Trust the process, be honest, and learn about proper lifestyle change. Best wishes.
  • SarahP3723
    SarahP3723 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your helpful answers