Mind muscle connections

Options
Love lifting but feel my mind muscle connections are as great as could be any advice to help improve this would be great

Plus feel my right pec more developed thwn left thats weird

Replies

• ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I find flexing the muscle/complex I'm going to train a couple times right before I start my set helps me concentrate more on the contraction during the movement. Playing with slower tempo might help too.
  • capamericaag2188
    capamericaag2188 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks will give that a try
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I still have this issue with chest and lats. I try to prime the muscle before I get into my workouts. Sometimes my priming ends up being the entire workout lol.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Mind muscle connection isn’t important. As long as you are running a programme which is based on progressive overload it and you are progressing in reps abs or adding weight.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question for the barbell row. I have been lifting a heavy load for two months. The weights stay the same but I increased the reps the second month. I feel like my arms are doing more of the work than my back. My form is correct. I have less rest between sets.

Would it be wise to reduce the weight on the bar and increase the sets/reps to feel the engagement of back muscles better?

Or maybe continue the same load with more rest between sets?

I am goin to try some preliminary band work today to see if it helps with muscle engagement. I want to keep the strength part and continue with more of the muscle building part.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I have a similar question for the barbell row. I have been lifting a heavy load for two months. The weights stay the same but I increased the reps the second month. I feel like my arms are doing more of the work than my back. My form is correct. I have less rest between sets.

Would it be wise to reduce the weight on the bar and increase the sets/reps to feel the engagement of back muscles better?

Or maybe continue the same load with more rest between sets?

I am goin to try some preliminary band work today to see if it helps with muscle engagement. I want to keep the strength part and continue with more of the muscle building part.

I’m currently doing rows on the smith machine as my last back exercise, bend over as far as your able, bring the bar up, squeeze and hold for a second, believe me you will feel for back engaging.

Don’t use momentum on rows, if your arms are taking over use straps, your hands are simply hooks you pull with your back
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    @watts6151 –thanks I’ll try the hold. I might have to reduce weights (no straps). I work with a barbell and focus on setting the bar before each rep so I’m not getting the momentum.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The cues i use for rowing/ pull down movements are usually focused on initiating the movement of the shoulder blades first and drawing the elbows back. When I do it right it feels like 2 isolated stages even if the bar moves in one motion .