Back to KETO and IF

Options
Hi, I am a female in my mid-'50s with some chronic underlying conditions, Fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, PoTs and histamine and salicylate intolerances, this restricts what I can eat.

I had been doing quite well on healthy KETO and IF for the last 6 weeks or so, my bloating went down and I lost 10lbs. Then last week I blew it, I was craving sugar and salt, and to smoke. Smoking has been the bane of my life, although I did stop a few years ago I keep relapsing, sometimes just for an evening, sometimes it goes on for a week which destroys my motivation, schedule, everything.

Maybe I was being too strict, I was always hungry and 'wanted something', I was taking electrolytes and vitamins. It all just felt so restrictive. I'm aware I may be looking for excuses, reasons, I just want to prevent it happening again, or least in such a massive fashion rather than a little blip. In that week I gained over 8lbs. I started getting back to it, yesterday I cleared out all the junk food. Onwards and upwards!

If we have similarities in our journeys please feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    Options
    When I read that you were always hungry and it felt so restrictive, it sets off alarm bells in my head.

Losing weight does NOT mean you need to be restrictive or constantly hungry. Losing weight and keeping off the weight means finding a way of eating you can keep up long term.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Keto and intermittent fasting are both strategies that work for some people because it helps them stay in a calorie deficit. It doesn't sound like it's working for you though, if you're finding it so hard.

Personally, I lost weight eating my normal foods, but in smaller quantities, and focusing on increasing my protein intake. I still eat treat foods every day, within my

PS those 8lbs you gained in a week will mostly be water weight, from the increased carb intake, it's not as bad as it seems.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Yes, please listen to Lietchi. There's no need to deprive you of anything and there's no magic to keto and intermittent fasting. For some people it works, for some it doesn't because it's too far from what keeps them full and from how they'd normally time their meals. This is a good moment for you to figure out what works for you.

Btw, how many calories were you eating? What's your current weight and length? Maybe you just wanted too much too quickly?
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Maybe keto isn't for you. I remember feeling like I was starving no matter what I ate when I did Atkins 20 years ago. It was utterly miserable for me.

I've never had a problem losing weight on a high carb diet btw. Different bodies are different, and I am most satisfied by plant-based, high carb meals like vegetarian chick pea and vegetable curry on rice.

As has already been said, there's no reason for a diet that promotes a lean, healthy weight to be uncomfortable AT ALL.

Eating well and obtaining/maintaining a healthy weight is a form of self care, not a punishment you put your body through for not being good enough.
  • ayanianr
    ayanianr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,I do keto and intermittent fasting and workout as well.
    I need motivation buddies
    Anyone here is up to that?
    Thnx
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Yes, please listen to Lietchi. There's no need to deprive you of anything and there's no magic to keto and intermittent fasting. For some people it works, for some it doesn't because it's too far from what keeps them full and from how they'd normally time their meals. This is a good moment for you to figure out what works for you.

Btw, how many calories were you eating? What's your current weight and length? Maybe you just wanted too much too quickly?

Hi, thanks for the feedback, it's not so much that I want to lose weight, it's that I want to improve my health and strict KETO has been medically advised for CFS. Maybe I was keeping my calories too low though, at 1200, I don't do any exercise atm due to fatigue so there is non to burn off. I am 130lbs now, 164 cm in height, so not overweight, just carrying extra around the middle.