spagehtti

Options
i love spagetti but i dont really eat it anymore because it contains so many calories. I am craving it tonight however and am wondering what others do to make it healthier or less calories. i use whole wheat pasta and i add onions, green peppers, and low fat hambuger. my sauce is low calorie at only 50cal. per 1/2cup. my problem is that a serving of just the pasta is 2oz which is 180calories. but 2oz is nothing! lol i usually eat about 2 servings (4oz). so this ends up being over 500calories for a bowl of spagehtti. any thoughts or ideas?

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    If Spaghetti Squash is available, it is a Great Option!! Just bake it and then add the spices or low calorie sauce of your choice. Your family may not even notice the difference!!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    mushrooms to replace some of the meat (I assume by hamburger you mean minced beef?) and spaghetti squash to replace the pasta
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    that is what my problem was. I used to eat it and i was told it was so high n clories but then someone said to use turkey butit si still high. I cant fill up on just one cup geez. So i got to where it is hard to cook anymore, unless i bake chicken and that gets old. I think im gonna eat it anyway an deat it til i get full and on those days eat lots of vegs for the rest of the day i dont know how else to fit things in. I only can have 1200 unless i exercise. So i exercise so i can squeek thru. hmm
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    They will notice the difference, but spaghetti squash is okay. If I want pasta, I have it but enjoy a smaller portion.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have also heard spaghetti squash is good with it...I have yet to try it!
  • karenzephyr
    Options
    try making lots of low cal sides to go with your pasta! fill up on sides and eat the pasta slow...
  • skinnygirl49
    Options
    I love noodles to, from time to time, but noodles are very high in calories. What I use is Tofu Shirataki noodles, 8oz only 40 calories. You need to follow the direction when using them or you will NOT like how they taste. I love them and they are a very good alterative :smile:
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    how do you cook a spaghetti squash? after it is cooked do you just use it to replace the pasta and then make the rest of the dish as usually? with meat and red sauce? sounds different. i want to give it a try if anyone has any suggestions!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Try having your pasta as a side dish, rather than as a meal, with a large serving of veggies and a protein.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My tips? Eat an exact serving of pasta and load it up with tomato sauce (lower calories). I find that super saucy spaghetti is yummy AND lower in cals (and carbs!).

Also, don't eat it as a main dish. Eat a lean protein alongside it-- i like to make it with grilled chicken! Yummy.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Try using rotini instead of spaghetti (also comes in whole wheat). It makes your bowl look fuller. Also have a big salad before your pasta, which will fill you up more.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For things like spaghetti, I just go for it, knowing it will be really high in calories. I've tried all the alternatives, but they aren't the same to me. What I have done is limit the number of times I eat it. Now I have spaghetti about once a month rather than 5 nights a week.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead on pasta days and enjoy it! I've try depriving myself of things I enjoy and in the end it's not worth it.
  • girlygirlnicole
    girlygirlnicole Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Asda do a low calorie spagehtti 100g for 157 calories 'ASDA Extra Special Linguine'

Nutrient per 100g (boiled)
    Energy kCal 157kCal
    Energy kJ 664kJ
    Protein 6.1g
    Carbohydrate 30.6g
    of which sugars 0.2g
    Fat 0.7g
    of which saturates 0.2g
    Fibre 1.8g
    Sodium Trace
    Salt Equivalent Trace

Use http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk ( http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Pasta_And_Noodles/ASDA_Extra_Special_Linguine_500g.html ) to find low calorie foods before you go to the supermarket x
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    how do you cook a spaghetti squash? after it is cooked do you just use it to replace the pasta and then make the rest of the dish as usually? with meat and red sauce? sounds different. i want to give it a try if anyone has any suggestions!

Cut it in half, lengthwise, scoop out the seeds. Preheat the oven to about 400, spray a baking sheet with olive oil, place the squash halves cut side down and bake for 45 minutes. Really depends on the size of the squash. Cool long enough to be able to hold and then using a fork shred the pulp.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Cut it in half, lengthwise, scoop out the seeds. Preheat the oven to about 400, spray a baking sheet with olive oil, place the squash halves cut side down and bake for 45 minutes. Really depends on the size of the squash. Cool long enough to be able to hold and then using a fork shred the pulp.

I just cook the squash whole (they are tough to cut), cook it on the rack at 350 for an hour, let it cool before slicing in half. Scoop out seeds then shred...note that it shreds the short way around the squash, not from end to end.
    As a side note, I do not like to eat squash, haven't yet found a type I like...except spaghetti squash! I really like it! I agree you WILL notice a difference, but it is still a good substitute:)
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Guess you're lucky not to have had one explode in the oven! Once you cut the blossom end off it's very easy to slice in half. I never paid attention to which direction it shreds, I just use the fork and go to town...
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'd say just have the small serving and really bulk it up with veggies, all the fibre will fill you up :)
  • yramesor333
    Options
    i use zuchini shredded(pam spray and cook for 5 min or until done ,doesnt take long) ,lean turkey burger and make my own sauce and can eat a big plate its really low in calories