2022 Intermittent Fasting Anyone?

Options
Hi there, I am 80 lbs overweight and just started focusing on keto low carb and intermittent fasting. I have been learning the science by Dr. Jason Fung and also a member of the Diet-Doctors website for the low carb lifestyle. So far, since January 2, 2022 I've lost 13 lbs. I have been doing OMAD during the week and on weekends 16/8.
Is anyone else doing this? How is it working for you? How do you feel? Any roadblocks?

Replies

• kaylanlynnNW
    kaylanlynnNW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not fasting but I have been doing keto since Jan 10tb
  • kimbaker40
    kimbaker40 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi! I have been intermittent fasting off and on for a long time, but got serious about it 3 months ago. I didn’t have a lot of weight to lose and it took me the three months to go from 145 to 132. I am doing low cal days alternating with high days. The low day is basically one meal at supper (500-600 cals) and the high day I try to eat around 1800 cals, which makes 2400 cals between the two days and averages 1200 per day … I lose weight w that. This has worked well for me. I know at first it was easier to keep cals low when I was low carbing , but I don’t worry so much about that anymore… I try to eat healthier now though (less sugar and whites). Good luck to you!
  • michaeldaily4927
    michaeldaily4927 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been intermittent fasting, 16/8 for about a year now. I lost 60 lbs last year, gained 30 back, and I'm down 16 so far this year. I like IF and my only struggle is coffee in the am. I like some sort of Creamer, or a flat white. I am learning to drink it black.

I've never been a breakfast in the morning guy. By lunch, I eat a breakfast meal, usually cereal and yoghurt, or eggs. Then a sensible dinner and either cereal or mw popcorn and shut it down. I try to do an hr of walking, or in the gym, and it works for me. I lose 2-3 lbs a week as long as I don't go too crazy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    all that is needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit. How you do that, is up to you. I would beware of 'buying into the hype' of the likes of Fung and the 'Diet Doctors', but if Keto and IF work for you, and is SUSTAINABLE for you, then there is nothing wrong with it.

I lost over 200 pounds eating the same things I always have, I simply learned how to weigh and log my food and became more active. I could cram an ASTOUNDING number of calories into a short time frame if I knew that was the only time of day I could eat, but that is me, and why any form of intentional IF would never ever work for me (there's plenty of times I only eat once a day but I have a crazy busy life and simply forget sometimes) ;)
  • mikedee_nyc
    mikedee_nyc Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just started doing the 16/8. Reading up on Leangains
  • angedanitts
    angedanitts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! I’m around 250lbs, at 5’6- so, pretty overweight. I started intermittent fasting at the beginning of December, and just recently started using MFP. I’ve lost 27 lbs so far, doing a 16:8 fasting window. I’ve had a lot of trouble on weekends. I’m a medical laboratory scientist, so I’m not too active during the day. I get pretty hungry once home, and I’m guilty of binging. That was before December. Come December 2021, I threw away everything in my pantry except the bare necessities. I’m doing good so far, in my opinion. I eat a bit more on weekends because that’s when I hang out with friends and family and stuff, but once you get going, it becomes a lifestyle. Good luck!
  • Lorrieonline
    Lorrieonline Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been into intermittent fasting since Dave Asprey started a challenge again recently. I am losing gradually bit am wondering what happened to this site. All of my food list is missing and my recipes are too. What's going on with this site?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    I've been into intermittent fasting since Dave Asprey started a challenge again recently. I am losing gradually bit am wondering what happened to this site. All of my food list is missing and my recipes are too. What's going on with this site?

Contact MFP support through the "Help" function. Whatever's going on for you - which would be very frustrating, I agree - it isn't happening to everyone.
  • cmjohnson53
    cmjohnson53 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I eat in a Keto manner, the LOW carbs has managed to get me off three T2D meds to the surprise of my doctor. I started IF August 2021 with my first meal at noon and dinner by 6:00 pm. This combination has helped me lose over 50 lbs with only 20 more to my goal. I am at the lowest weight I have been in over 35 years (will be 69 next month). My energy level still amazes me and the I try to walk 3-5 miles a day. I can't believe how much my life has improved with these three changes, it was what I needed, we all have to find what works for us as individuals. Good luck, I hope you find your path.
  • bookreader4
    bookreader4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Noom and love it so far. It's teaching me to eat healthy so when I reach my goal weight I don't gain back. I am also doing intermittent 16/8. I started July 2021 took a week break during Thanksgiving and a 2 week break during Christmas and I'm down 65 lbs. That's a little over 2 lbs a week.

• jtexperience12
    jtexperience12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Doing 16/8, for now. I only want to use bigger fasts, keto, etc later on and gradually, instead of throwing everything at it right in the beginning and hitting an early plateau.
  • hugsareawesome
    hugsareawesome Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm back to intermittent fasting now too and feel like it's clicking in a way it didn't before after reading and applying leangains book. Anyone else applying this?
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm back to intermittent fasting now too and feel like it's clicking in a way it didn't before after reading and applying leangains book. Anyone else applying this?
    The thread seems old so don’t know if this will get it going again. I’m trying IF. I’ll send you a friends request.
  • nicholashitt
    nicholashitt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've read the book by Dr. Funk as well and take all of it with a grain of salt...pun intended. I am brand-new to the IF scene, but for 2 weeks, down 2 pounds but I'm always a skeptic. I'm also an avid runner, doing about 3-4 miles per day outside or on the treadmill and have trouble finding that energy on a low-carb/keto diet. Some may argue it's impossible to be a runner/athletic and have "low-carbs." I'm overweight (BMI of 25), not obese and looking to tone it down some so seriously exploring options. Best of luck to you and remember that every human body is different. I'm not entirely sure there is a single option out there, but there are some things that replicate in about every diet-fad/suggestion out there:
    • Avoid added sugars
    • Keep your body moving however you can
    • Eat food, mainly vegetables that have little-to-no processing
    • Have a support system, wheter it's here on a forum, family, friends, Church etc...