Snacks after 8pm

I’m doing really good on this and am filled with what I eat. My problem is after 8pm. I don’t go to sleep until 11pm and don’t know what I can eat for a healthy snack after 8pm.
I need some suggestions. Thanks

Replies

• dbarbara2
    dbarbara2 Posts: 1 Member
    Try some string cheese
  • 1scrabble
    1scrabble Posts: 1 Member
    Skip the Cheese! Water is a great filler. But if you want more or something to chew, try a few mixed nuts and eat slowly. It also helps if you have a book or project or something to do that occupies your mind.
  • LegendOfBlake
    LegendOfBlake Posts: 36 Member
    Drink water if you're feeling hungry first, it will reduce a lot of that need. I recently found chocolate almond milk and it's only 100 calories a cup and is very filling. You can make roast carrots or roast broccoli with a little bit of oil for very few calories and it's extremely filling.
  • Zuraylah
    Zuraylah Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2022
    Sweet options: dates (the fruit) or a small piece of pure chocolate (> 70% cacao) with a handful of (unsalted) nuts

Salty options: popcorn that you've popped yourself or cucucumber with houmous or peanut butter

If if fits in your calorie budget, 1 (wholegrain) slice bread with peanut butter also works for me.

Good luck!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Nuts,yoghurt, fruit or whatever else fits in with our calories or macros
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    1. I snack on a half cup of plain, no butter air popped popcorn.
    2. You might also have a handful of mixed nuts, about 15 pieces.
    3. Chopped veggies (broccoli, carrots, zucchini, cauliflower, etc) with a maximum of two teaspoons of hummus are good as well. If you don't make your own hummus, read the labels carefully to ensure you have one that isn't high in calories and saturated fats. Some brands are way better than others.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    This is one of several reasons my wife and I eat dinner later...we usually eat dinner around 8PM or so. I usually have my afternoon/early evening snack shortly before I leave the office, or I save it for when I get home. We're pretty busy in the evening with homework with the kids, prepping dinner, prepping food for the next day for work, etc so we really enjoy sitting down to a nice meal in front of the TV and relaxing for an hour or two before heading to bed.
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 260 Member
    I had this problem. I especially craved sweets. But I cut out sweets and high carbs in my diet and adjusted my evening meal to eat late. I eat around 8.... Don't go to sleep until 2-3 AM and I rarely snack anymore. Hope this helps
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    FYI: There is a little bit of research data that shows sleep quality is improved if you stop eating roughly 2 hours before bed. But, do what works for you. I like a glass of milk as a later-in-the-evening filler. Paired with an apple for some crunch can be good too. :)

• snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    I eat casein protein mixed in with greek yogurt. Casein is a nice slow absorption protein.
  • Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2022
    Please don't listen to the people that say don't eat! That's been long debunked. Don't eat, ya right - better to faint from lack of carbs or catabolize some muscle..??!! Not. Listen to your body and eat whatever you need to meet your macros. Good 'snacks' I go for are cheerios and skim milk, cottage cheese, fruit, popcorn - obviously stay away from SUGAR. Honestly, I probably googled that very same question you asked many years ago - don't listen to the wives tales. Get your protein in every few hours and last meal right before bed should be a casein shake - add banana and walnuts if you have the calories left. Huge telltale for me is when my pee starts to smell overly strong, I've used up the muscle glycogen and bodies burning muscle
  • hclark5567
    hclark5567 Posts: 1 Member
    it doesn't matter what time of day you eat snacks :) I also find myself getting hungry if I stay up later, but we eat dinner early! Lately i've been having a protein milkshake type treat if I want something sweet, but honestly popcorn works for me!
    If you're just looking for good ideas- I always find apples super filling, or even a little snack plate with some cheese, crackers, and fruit!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    You have to spread the eating to fill your time. Reserving something for later in the day may work for you. Sometimes, when I eat something later in the evening, I'm not that hungry in the morning, and I delay breakfast.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!