When to change lifting routine

Options
Hi Everyone

I've been tracking food on mfp for quite some time but am just discovering all of the great information here. I'm wondering when it is time to change a lifting routine. Please forgive the long intro.

I'm 53 - 6'3" 206 pounds. My calories are set to lose 1 lb. per week and macros are 40/30/30. Diet is pretty good - I like to cook but have occasional lapses. Supplements are creatine and vegan protein powder after lifting. I try to drink 3 liters of water per day.

I resumed lifting last June after a 3-year hiatus. I never really stuck with it for more than a few months in the past but I feel like it's part of my lifestyle now. Goals when I started were to lose 15 pounds, do 15 proper pullups and bench press my weight. Not sure why I choose them but they keep me motivated. I'm not so focused on the weight loss now since my mid section is smaller and I feel stronger.

I started using machines exclusively and would do 3 sets - 10/8/6 adding weight each set and decreasing assistance on dips and pullups. I would work up to 10/9/8 then increase weight. I did this for the first 4 months.

Now I'm doing 5 sets of 10 adding 10 pounds per set unless noted below. The last set is generally to failure at 8 or 9 reps. I'll stick with the same weights until I do full 5x10 for 5 sessions then increase weight. Rest is 1 minute after 1st set progressing to 2 minutes before final set. Routine is 3 days then a rest day then repeat.

Day 1
barbell bench press - 2 x 10 warmup then 5 x 5
incline dumbbell bench press
flat dumbbell fly
dips - no assistance and no extra weight
v-bar triceps push down machine
cable crossover - 2 sets starting weight, 2 sets 5 lbs more, final set 7.5 lbs more
triceps rope push down - 1 set starting weight, 2 sets 7.5lbs more, 2 sets 7.5 lbs more

Day 2
seated calf raises - add 20 lbs per set
seated leg press - add 20 lbs per set
hamstring curls
leg extensions
decline crunches
seated ab machine - not sure of proper name - you lean forward with hand on grips in front of you
captains chair leg raises - 5 x 12

Day 3
Pullups/chinups - I alternate between each last session was 11/11/7/6 unassisted
seated OHP machine
wide grip lat pulldowns
seated lateral raise machine
seated row machine
dumbbell shrugs
ez bar preacher curls - 1 set starting weight, 2 sets 10 lbs more, final 2 sets 10lbs more
dumbbell curls - 1 set starting weight, 2 sets 5lbs more, final 2 sets 5 lbs more

I hurt myself years ago doing squats and/or deadlifts with poor form so have been hesitant about adding them. Is it worth the cost of a coach to help perfect my form and start including these?

I feel like I've been making good progress over the past 8 months but it's coming a lot slower now. Is it time to change things up or am I just being impatient?

Thanks for any insight and suggestions

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For a 3 day split I would get on a structured full body program that focuses on compound lifts where you're hitting each muscle group 2-3 times per week. Your split is less than ideal as it would appear you are attempting more of a body part split, but without the appropriate number of days...a body part split is typically a minimum of 4x per week, but usually 5x in the weight room. I would just say that what you're doing at the moment isn't very efficient in really making much progress outside of newbie gains that just come from doing just about anything rather than nothing.

I would also rethink the "training to failure" thing...you typically want to have 1 or 2 reps left in the tank per set.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think OP means 3 days in a row and then 1 single rest day in a 4-day cycle (rather than 3x/week)..so 5 or 6 days /wk.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I do a similar split basically PPL twice a week.
    Instead of squatting can you try an alternative
    Such as a belt squat if your gym has one or maybe hack squat, I also don’t deadlift but don’t see it as a magical exercise if your goal isn’t a big deadlift.

Progress will start slowing down after 8 months.
    The honeymoon period is over I’m afraid😂
    I generally change up certain exercises every 10-12 weeks, not because they stop working just to avoid over use injuries
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I think OP means 3 days in a row and then 1 single rest day in a 4-day cycle (rather than 3x/week)..so 5 or 6 days /wk.

Ah...in that case I'd move more to free weights for starters, at least with the bigger compound movements. Also, I'm just not a big fan of things like leg extensions and leg curls for anything more than warmup weight and rehab.

As programs go, I've never really gotten into body part splits, but I know there are quite a few structured programs out there for that...in general, if no trainer, I'd just run an established, structured program geared towards what you want to do...but I'd start by moving from the machines to free weights.
  • jimmorrison123
    jimmorrison123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback

I'll definitely transition to more free weights and mix up some of the supplemental exercises every few months. I'm going to look into a trainer for a few sessions just so I get the form right and can incorporate more compound lifts.

• cwolfman13
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback

I'll definitely transition to more free weights and mix up some of the supplemental exercises every few months. I'm going to look into a trainer for a few sessions just so I get the form right and can incorporate more compound lifts.

Moving to free weights in and of itself is going to significantly change the stimulus you're muscles are getting. A squat in a rack with a barbell for example feels way different and is much harder than say squatting with a smith machine or doing leg presses. With the free weights and compound movements, you'll be engaging a lot more core and a lot more smaller "helper" muscles that don't really get that much work with a machine and a fixed path of movement. In general, you will be getting a ton more whole body recruitment on your lifts. It will be a whole different ball game and challenging, and I'm sure you'll find it very engaging.