Wish I hadn't weighed myself!

Options
I weighed myself for the first time in 6 months today. Devastated to see that I weigh a couple of kilos more than I did in July, despite regularly working out 3-4 times per week (and for the past month working out in the gym 6 days per week). Obviously, I'm not being strict enough with my eating and logging, as my depressing mass of belly fat seems to be the same size.

Has anyone else totally derailed their commitment with a weigh-in disaster? I'm ready to give up all attempts at fitness. Getting up at 5am daily to work out isn't fun and totally not worth it if I can't lose weight. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Don’t go to pieces over one weight in. If you weighed yourself the day after a demanding workout the issue could be water retention. You need more data to get a baseline. I drove myself crazy over this issue and paid a high price for my impatience. Don’t change anything until you got at least 2 weeks of weigh ins. A month would be better.

And as already pointed out, exercise is vastly overrated as a weight loss tool. Fact is I can undo an hour at the gym in less than 5 minutes with a fork in my hand. And you don’t say how much you are trying to lose, but a high level of fitness combined with a weight loss plan can work on tight margins. Especially if you’re close to goal weight. It can require a lot of patience and spot on tracking.

If after your get a better picture of where you are in the process you find your plan isn’t working, try to fix it. Never quit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily so that I keep in touch with my ups and downs.
  • marshall461
    marshall461 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    not derailed but certainly let down. i am tracking my food intake at about 1800 calories, hydrating, sleeping, the gym every other day (for over all health in general). Hopped on the scale this morning for a 1 pound gain. I am not a happy camper
  • healingmysticmelody
    Options
    I thought working out builds your muscles and muscles weigh more than fat so you gain at first if you work out a lot… but then lose faster if you stick to your proper calorie intake because more muscles mean more calories burned?
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that weight loss is 80% diet, and 20% exercise. I hate it, but I find it to be true. Unless I track and eat at a deficit, the weight is not coming off. Also, when I avoid the scale it is for a reason, I usually know that I am not going to like what I see, so I don't look! The scale = accountability You decided how often and be consistent.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I weigh daily. Good, bad or ugly. The more I do it, the less it affects me emotionally. Now, it's just a task to collect data and not the source of that day's happiness.

We all have bad days on the scale. Keep moving forward! Tomorrow is another day. Followed by another and another. Each one a day filled with opportunities to make good decisions for yourself.
  • healingmysticmelody
    Options
    Excellent information Ann and Wolf. Thank you!!