Struggling with Protein and Fiber

Options
Hi.
I'm doing 1800 calories à day but I have to hit 113g protein and 29g fiber.
Even though I don't like fruit, I love veggies and pulses etc so am good with fiber. 29g is a lot though!
But..I'm struggling trying to get protein in. I'm not a big dairy fan but
I've started to eat a lot of skyrs and now add protein powders. Drinks or added into skyrs.
I'm doing well with my loss when I follow it to the T, (and I'm not hungry!) but I'm really struggling to do it without protein powders.
Protein powders feel very unnatural though. I sometimes get tiny stomach cramps, and, I don't want to have to do this all my life.
Any insights about what other people think of protein powders or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Have you tried plant-based protein powders? If I use more than one scoop of whey protein I get slight digestive issues - but then the plant ones can do that too. The plant ones do have some iron and fiber, which may be helpful.

All foods have to be trial and error, really. I usually hit 30-50g fiber and 100-130g protein, nearly all of it from food. I try to use no more than one scoop of powder daily. However, I eat more than 1800. It would be harder on 1800, for sure. I'd have to cut something else which would be hard too.

Keep playing with it.

Here's a good thread for protein and fiber (scroll down a few posts, too. There's a printed table):
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • sharonlep
    sharonlep Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thankyou!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,476 Member
    Options
    You could also chose to eat a bit less protein, you know. You've set it to 25%? The standard setting is 20%. that would only be 90gr.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    That thread linked above is great: Find things in the spreadsheet it describes that you enjoy eating, and eat more of those, less of something/anything that "costs" you more calories than it's worth to you for nutrition, satiation, or tastiness.

On top of that, consider a thing that (IMO/IME) vegetarians do: Go beyond thinking of just "one big protein" as the basis of a meal. In addition to the big item, think about choosing sides, snacks, etc. - still things you enjoy! - that have at least a little bit of protein, rather than none.

There are grain sides with more protein, veggies with more protein, breads with more protein, snacks with protein, even some fruits with protein. Through the day, those small bits here and there can add up to make a meaningful contribution.

That even goes for things that are mostly for flavoring: Things like peanut butter powder or almond butter powder, nutritional yeast, miso, etc. If you like them, they can be added to sauces, smoothies, oatmeal, or whatever as relevant, to pick up the protein level a little. Ditto for things like seeds (pumpkin, hemp hearts, milled flax, sunflower) that in small amounts can add a little richness or crunch to other foods, with a bit of protein, and admittedly some higher fat calories, but other good nutrition in there, too.