How to export individual Diary entries to csv, excel or similar

tRAuMBO
tRAuMBO Posts: 5 Member
Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered before. I was not able to find anything when searching this forum nor google.

I am tracking my food entries in MFP. In other apps, I am tracking sleep, activity, mood, and migraines. Once I have accumulated enough data, I will do a regression analysis in an attempt to identify the trigger of my migraines as well as identify boosters of night time HRV.

I can export (and even automate the extraction through a sync to Fitbit and their public API), but that only gives me the macro values plus a few more - not the actual food entries like a banana, a cup of coffee, 200 gram of steak, etc.

I have not been able to find a report that contains the detailed entries, again only the macro values and a bit more.

Is there a way to extract the detailed food entries?

Thanks.

BR, Rasmus

Best Answer

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,468 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    At this time we don't offer a way to export individual food items to CSV, etc. The export feature you detailed is the extent of the options we offer at this time.

Answers

• I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 181 Member
    On Android the Diary page the Nutrition button at bottom brings up the data page with a Save icon (sdcard shape) at top. That page is fairly clear, can set date range, sends four csv files to your email address, including diarized data, food/exercise notes. Test it to see if it suits your purpose. (No doubt the website or Apple app have the functionality, but I'm not familiar.)
  • I2k4
    Might want to test Cronometer service, appears to export "Servings":

https://support.cronometer.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018760151-Account-Settings#h_440005960211545174984655
  • tRAuMBO
    I2k4 wrote: »
    On Android the Diary page the Nutrition button at bottom brings up the data page with a Save icon (sdcard shape) at top. That page is fairly clear, can set date range, sends four csv files to your email address, including diarized data, food/exercise notes. Test it to see if it suits your purpose. (No doubt the website or Apple app have the functionality, but I'm not familiar.)

Hi I2k4,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have been exporting the data in the same manner as suggested by you, only from iOS and the website. In both cases, I receive a link by email that lets me download three files; weight, activities and nutrition. Sadly, the nutrition file contains only the macro values and some additional values. Not the actual food. I tried installing the MFP app on my Android tablet to check if by any chance it would be different with another OS - no luck though, only the same three files when clicking the download link on the email triggered from the Android app.

I noticed that you mentioned FOUR csv files instead of three. Are you indeed receiving four? If yes, what is the content on the fourth file that I am not receiving?

Thanks for your help!

BR, Rasmus
  • tRAuMBO

Hello again,

You are right in suggesting that I may need to find a different app. I like MFP though (been using it on/off for a few years and paying the Premium subscription) so it is just a shame having to move away because of limited export options. Not to mention I will have to manually transfer my existing diary entries to any new app.

If I end up having to move to another app, I will do a more thorough analysis beforehand and post it here in case others can benefit from it.

Thanks.

BR, Rasmus
  • tRAuMBO
    durden wrote: »
    At this time we don't offer a way to export individual food items to CSV, etc. The export feature you detailed is the extent of the options we offer at this time.

Hi durden,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate MFP staff monitoring the community and chipping in.

Are you aware of any plans to expand the current export options to satisfy my need?

Since MFP does not have an open API, I have currently enabled sync to fitbit.com which in turn has an open API that I can call to extract the macro values. I could do the same with other third parties if you are transferring the individual food items to anyone. Would you happen to have a partnership with anyone to whom you transfer the individual food items?

Thanks.

BR, Rasmus
  • I2k4
    tRAuMBO wrote: »

I noticed that you mentioned FOUR csv files instead of three. Are you indeed receiving four? If yes, what is the content on the fourth file that I am not receiving?

Thanks for your help!

BR, Rasmus

Apologies, there are three files. I tried Export a couple of months ago without using the data, misremembered Food notes as separate when they're tacked onto the Nutrition csv. Good luck with a solution. B)
  • durden
    durden Posts: 3,468 MFP Staff
    durden wrote: »

Hi durden,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate MFP staff monitoring the community and chipping in.

Are you aware of any plans to expand the current export options to satisfy my need?

Since MFP does not have an open API, I have currently enabled sync to fitbit.com which in turn has an open API that I can call to extract the macro values. I could do the same with other third parties if you are transferring the individual food items to anyone. Would you happen to have a partnership with anyone to whom you transfer the individual food items?

Thanks.

BR, Rasmus

I'm not aware of any plans to introduce such a feature at this time, but i'm happy to forward your feedback for consideration.
  • tarazieminek
    tarazieminek Posts: 6 Member
    Hi Rasmus,

Did you find another product to use for this? I was hoping to use MyFitnessPal to track my meals for gestational diabetes, but I'm disappointed that I have to retype all my food entries/times/amounts instead of there being an export option for this. It also seems like I have to check the nutritional information for each entry anyways (since there are lots of errors). I don't mind paying a bit for a product, but it should be able to export the information I enter - generating a CSV is not a difficult task for a software developer.

Thanks,
    -Tara

Hello again,

You are right in suggesting that I may need to find a different app. I like MFP though (been using it on/off for a few years and paying the Premium subscription) so it is just a shame having to move away because of limited export options. Not to mention I will have to manually transfer my existing diary entries to any new app.

If I end up having to move to another app, I will do a more thorough analysis beforehand and post it here in case others can benefit from it.

Thanks.

BR, Rasmus

• tRAuMBO
    Hi Rasmus,

Did you find another product to use for this? I was hoping to use MyFitnessPal to track my meals for gestational diabetes, but I'm disappointed that I have to retype all my food entries/times/amounts instead of there being an export option for this. It also seems like I have to check the nutritional information for each entry anyways (since there are lots of errors). I don't mind paying a bit for a product, but it should be able to export the information I enter - generating a CSV is not a difficult task for a software developer.

Thanks,
    -Tara

Hello again,

Thanks.

BR, Rasmus

Hi Tara,

I never found a perfect app, but during the chase I realized that the food database in MFP is actually inaccurate. Probably due to all the unvalidated crowd collected data. That was a deal breaker for me, so I moved on despite not having a perfect alternative.

I ended up going with Cronometer which at least can do detailed CSV exports. The UI feels a little old school, but the macro and micro nutrient values are much more accurate than MFP. Widgets on iOS are useful too.

I looked at Yazio too which has better integration capabilities compared to other apps, but at the end of the day I decided that accuracy of data was more important than connectivity.

Those two apps seemed like the two top choices so I tried them out with premium subscriptions. Other apps, and the market in general, just seems weak and underdeveloped. Hopefully someone new will emerge at some point with a better offering.

I use Cronometer every day now, and it has contributed to a positive change in my eating behavior. MFP did that too for me - it just turns out now that the data I relied on in MFP did not drive the right change.

Hope this helps. I will likely not check back in at this forum again, so apologies upfront for any unanswered questions.

BR, Rasmus
This discussion has been closed.