Pre diabetic

Need help calculating carbohydrates and meal planning

Replies

• I'm also pre diabetic maybe we can help each other
  • ekmanning50
    ekmanning50 Posts: 21 Member
    I think I am too! Was on WeightWatchers before and they changed their plan and I stopped losing. I’m loving MFP, but having trouble getting all the carbs and goin over on calories and fiber. Can’t I just count carbs? Do I have to count calories, and other macros?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I think I am too! Was on WeightWatchers before and they changed their plan and I stopped losing. I’m loving MFP, but having trouble getting all the carbs and goin over on calories and fiber. Can’t I just count carbs? Do I have to count calories, and other macros?

The reason is because total calories count for weight loss. You can change your macro goals to lower your carb goal, but going over calories will cause weight gain.
  • kellieolson05
    kellieolson05 Posts: 11 Member
    I am just starting my prediabetic journey also. I wish there was a group just for us. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I was pre-diabetic once upon a time. Keep in mind that pre-diabetic isn't really a diagnoses of disease, but rather a "warning shot". Diet wise, I just started getting better nutrition...I didn't do keto or a low carb specific diet plan, though I do tend to cut back on carbohydrates when losing weight as they are the easiest thing to cut back on and still get good nutrition. The biggest thing for me was simply losing weight and becoming more physically active and the rest of my blood work, including my blood glucose levels fell in line.

Diet wise I eat very similar to South Beach phase II and III regardless of my weight management goals.