I hate to be the spelling police...

Options
Marig0ld
Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
...but for the last time it's LOSE weight, not LOOSE!!! Loose is an adjective, not a verb. Loose is the word that describes what your clothes should be after you LOSE! Lol!

I let a lot of things slide but I am getting really sick of seeing that! I know not everyone cares about spelling and grammar, but that is bugging me a lot. That is all, carry on. :-)

Replies

• Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This won't be the last time...
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Loose can also be a verb, but not a common one... and not one most people would use on MFP!

Loose as in loosing an arrow - not a common usage. ( It means the point at which you "fire")
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Maybe it will be the last time today?

Perhaps the last time this hour? That's probably more likely lol
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hey spelling police....loose is not a noun, it is an adjective. if you are going to be obnoxious and correct people, then make sure you are correct. Where did you go to school. A noun is a person, place or thing......an adjective describes a noun....loose shirt. Shirt is a noun and loose is the adjective. get it?????
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hey spelling police....loose is not a noun, it is an adjective. if you are going to be obnoxious and correct people, then make sure you are correct. Where did you go to school. A noun is a person, place or thing......an adjective describes a noun....loose shirt. Shirt is a noun and loose is the adjective. get it?????

lolololololol :laugh:
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    OMG, it drives me INSANE!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Loose can also be a verb. Loose the dogs!
  • goatruns
    Options
    Maybe it will be the last time today?

Perhaps the last time this hour? That's probably more likely lol

I was thinking maybe these people should use the Search function. Oh, the ironing!

Edited to add: Never start anything with 'I hate to" or "I don't mean to be offensive but," if you are gonna *****, you need to OWN it. Balls out.
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Why does it bother you? Not everyone is perfect!!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have seen multiple posts like this one. It never helps.:indifferent:

I've just learned to ignore the wrong spelling & concentrate on what the person is trying to get across.
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options

I was thinking maybe these people should use the Search function. Oh, the ironing!
    No wonder I've been feeling flat...
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    wow, seriously, who gives an F. Its sunday, go outside and do something.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    And all this emotion while there are starving children in Africa......for some people English is their second language - and for others like myself - we just suck at spelling......:-)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. The lose/loose error makes me roll my eyes.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It annoys me as well but then I just laugh and wonder how people managed to graduate elementary school. I swear text speak is killing the English language.
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say she was "loose"...I think the term these days is "user-friendly".
    --Emo Phillips
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So do I, but I dislike people that correct others with incorrect information......
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say she was "loose"...I think the term these days is "user-friendly".
    --Emo Phillips

Bahahahahaha!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Here's the mnemonic device to help those remember the difference. Loose rhymes with goose. If the word you're wanting to use sounds like the word that rhymes with goose, then add 2 o's. It helps my students. But in all fairness, our English language leaves a lot to be desired with its rhyme and reason.
  • goatruns
    Options
    Great, now I have the "A noun is a person, place or thiiiiiing..." song stuck in my head. Which will then lead into 'Conjunction Junction, what's your function?" followed by "I'm just a Bill.."