New job stress eating

Hi everyone 👋
Six months ago I started a new job, where the expectations were quite high and all the pressure was really taking its toll on my mental and physical health. I was all day on my PC and didn't have time to do any excercise, because I felt exhausted all the time. I noticed myself eating more sweets and snacks and I'd say to myself it's nothing I'll shake it off etc., but as you might imagine I started gaining weight fast.
The things at work seem to be better and calmer right now, therefore I've decided to get back on track.

Anyone else who has a similar story, I'd love to hear how you managed to stay healthy on a demanding job.

Replies

• teardrop40
    teardrop40 Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2022
    Thank you @Deviette and @MarieBuch10 for sharing and for the insights. Really appreciate it!

I'll consider what you said in my journey. Wishing you luck on yours as well.
  • valeribenoit
    valeribenoit Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2022
    teardrop40 wrote: »
    Hi everyone 👋
    Six months ago I started a new job, where the expectations were quite high and all the pressure was really taking its toll on my mental and physical health. I was all day on my PC and didn't have time to do any excercise, because I felt exhausted all the time. I noticed myself eating more sweets and snacks and I'd say to myself it's nothing I'll shake it off etc., but as you might imagine I started gaining weight fast. The things at work seem to be better and calmer right now, therefore I've decided to get back on track.

Anyone else who has a similar story, I'd love to hear how you managed to stay healthy on a demanding job.

Try exercise after work. That way if you have had a bad day you can take it out by pushing yourself harder on the treadmill/bike or even using a punching bag. I also found after exercising I have less cravings for junk food. Part because I don’t want to ruin what my workout, but also because I always feel better afterwards.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Repeating what many have said already: putting exercise on my calendar and sticking to it was the answer for me. I sometimes go at lunchtime and other times after work. Burn calories, release stress, tell the stripe at the bottom of the lap lane what's on my mind, sleep better that night.

I started the habit of sipping water at my desk regularly. In addition to the hydration, it means I have to get up and pee every couple of hours. I made a point of using the restroom farther from my office and on a different floor so I'd get a short break from my computer, stretch my legs, take a few deep breaths, and go up and down a flight of stairs. I also committed to the practice of packing a healthy lunch, and clearing the snacks out of my office.

• anew45
    anew45 Posts: 17 Member
    Just a thought, it may not just be stress your N.E.A.T. calories mat have dropped as well because in the new job your simply not moving as much. This happened to me and my maintenance calories dropped so significantly that my dieting calories became my new maintenance. If that’s the case you need to combine cutting calories and trying to add some cardio while you deal with those stress issues. Also focus on getting sleep.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    anew45 wrote: »
    Just a thought, it may not just be stress your N.E.A.T. calories mat have dropped as well because in the new job your simply not moving as much. This happened to me and my maintenance calories dropped so significantly that my dieting calories became my new maintenance. If that’s the case you need to combine cutting calories and trying to add some cardio while you deal with those stress issues. Also focus on getting sleep.

Giving some thought to intentionally increasing NEAT can also help, if that's part of the scenario. It doesn't always require more time, there can be a meaningful impact from just doing things a little differently.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Yes, increasing exercise can create a bigger calorie expenditure all at once, and be easier to estimate/eat back, but it does take extra time. Both strategies are useful, IMO.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    @kshama2001 Oh, yes, I would have new ideas or resolutions to work problems pop into my head in the shower! I wondered if there was something to massaging your scalp while shampooing and increasing blood flow, lol (I really did wonder about it). That, along with letting a problem not be resolved until the next day, I found really helpful. It’s not as though I would think about the work problem at home in the evening; I would just go to my work desk in the morning and realize that the solution has always been right in front of me, I just had to stop and give it a moment. Sometimes, you have to give yourself permission to not solve every single last problem before you end your workday (as though that were possible!). Granted, some problems may be blazing-hot urgent, but usually not.