“Complete Diary” is not consistent

Options
Hi, I am a bit confused about the “complete diary” function. At the end of my day I always complete my diary and I am seeing that it is very inconsistent and doesn’t even make any sense. It will estimate what I could weigh in 5 weeks time if I continue to eat the way I did on that day. But it is random in that sometimes I am just under my allowed calories for the day and sometimes a bit over, sometimes I have exercise calories that I didn’t eat, sometimes I do - it shows different weights all the time. It’s not consistent at all. What is the purpose of this and is it reliable?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a bit confused about the “complete diary” function. At the end of my day I always complete my diary and I am seeing that it is very inconsistent and doesn’t even make any sense. It will estimate what I could weigh in 5 weeks time if I continue to eat the way I did on that day. But it is random in that sometimes I am just under my allowed calories for the day and sometimes a bit over, sometimes I have exercise calories that I didn’t eat, sometimes I do - it shows different weights all the time. It’s not consistent at all. What is the purpose of this and is it reliable?

Because the algorithm literally assumes every single day is EXACTLY the same as when you close it out. It's a very simplistic mathematical algorithm that assumes literally everything you did on that day is going to be exactly the same every single day...and obviously, you're not, nor is anybody really. No singular day can be exactly the same as the next or the day before.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Like @yirara says, no real purpose. Nothing happens if you never click it.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The "function" is more literal than you probably think.
    I'm pretty sure all it does is take your total deficit for the day, multiple it by 35 days, and divide by 3500 calories => TD*35/3500, and then subtracts it from your current weight to get what you could weigh in 5 weeks.

If you want to actually capture something realistic, get an app like trendweight or something similar. Those apps look at your rolling average of weight loss and project lines from that.
  • Memyselfandi59
    Memyselfandi59 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your info. I will take it with a grain of salt.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Yeah -- it's just to inform you if you did what you did today everyday then in so many weeks you would be X kgs. If you have a lighter calorie day it can be inspring and if you over do things a bit it's a good reminder to get back on track tomorrow.
  • AZAlyssa
    AZAlyssa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like to guess what my "in 5 weeks" weight prediction will be based on my daily calories. Most days my guess is pretty close. It gives me a moment to reflect on what food choices that day were better vs which might need further adjustment the next day.