Looking to share knowledge

Options
Hello Everybody,

I'm Jonathan, happy to help anyone with sports and general nutrition questions. I received my Certified Sports Nutrition Counselor through the National Academy of Sport Science. I'm also a Certified Dietary Manager and a Certified Executive Chef. I'm looking to start helping athletes and people with nutrition needs. I have been cooking for 14 years in restaurants, and I've done everything from fine dining to sushi. I work at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, and I'm working with student-athletes on their nutritional needs during training and off-seasons. If you have any questions, please reach out. Thanks and happy eating!!

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    @SuzySunshine99 I have found that to be true due to people's reactions before. But always wondered why it is that way? I mean, here is a person offering advice and knowledge, don't some of us need all the help and thoughts we can get? To me, it'd be easier and quicker to find a post such as this in which to ask all varieties of topics rather than hunt down others that may/may not have any relevance.
    I never understood that. That's all. :) 'Tis just my thoughts. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Jonathan, why would I rather eat Moon Pies than broccoli? What is the biological reason behind that?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    @SuzySunshine99 I have found that to be true due to people's reactions before. But always wondered why it is that way? I mean, here is a person offering advice and knowledge, don't some of us need all the help and thoughts we can get? To me, it'd be easier and quicker to find a post such as this in which to ask all varieties of topics rather than hunt down others that may/may not have any relevance.
    I never understood that. That's all. :) 'Tis just my thoughts. :)

I think the disadvantage in a thread such as this is that you are only going to get one point of view. You ask a question, and a single person will answer. If you are looking for advice and start your own thread to ask your questions, you are more likely to get a wider range of thoughts and opinions.

While I'm sure that Jonathan, as well as others who start threads like this, are sincere, we have no way of vetting their credentials. It's typically a "first post", by someone who is not familiar to the community, and hasn't already contributed.

I think it also just rubs people the wrong way...especially as a first post. Kind of assuming we are all uneducated about health and fitness topics and here's our savior. "Ask me anything, for I am all-knowing." Again, not saying that's the case or intention with this particular poster, just that this is how it's sometimes perceived.

That's why I recommended for Jonathan to jump into some threads where people are asking for help, and respond to the questions that are already out there.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I think it also just rubs people the wrong way...especially as a first post. Kind of assuming we are all uneducated about health and fitness topics and here's our savior. "Ask me anything, for I am all-knowing." Again, not saying that's the case or intention with this particular poster, just that this is how it's sometimes perceived.

It totally rubs me the wrong way for just that reason. It just comes across so arrogant whether intentioned or not.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome, Jonathan!

I really appreciate your offer to help, and I'm sure others will too. I really hope you don't get discouraged by negative/unwelcoming posts. I see NO arrogance in your post, and I do believe you're sincere in wanting to help.

Hugs...
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Jonathan, why would I rather eat Moon Pies than broccoli? What is the biological reason behind that?

Not Jonathan, but salt/sugar/fat in your moon pie trigger a dopamine reaction that broccoli does not.
  • glassyo
    Options
    I finally had my first moon pie and...3 servings? I think not! 😀

And if Chef Jonathan wants to come cook for me, all will be forgiven.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Not Jonathan, but salt/sugar/fat in your moon pie trigger a dopamine reaction that broccoli does not.

Of course I know that already. I wanted to see if he did. :wink:
    glassyo wrote: »

I buy those boxes of mini Moon Pies from the Dollar store (Rant alert, everything is now $1.25 at the Dollar store. grr.) and I eat the whole box of six in one day.

To be fair, I could eat a whole pot of TGI Fridays' broccoli cheese soup, too.

• ReenieHJ
    Options
    Frankly, of all the junk food I've always eaten, Moon Pies were disgusting to me. :)

I truly appreciate when a person volunteers to give advice and suggestions due to their knowledge and training. ATM, I feel I know how to do this the right way for me. Sticking with it is another whole story. :( That's where my weakness lies.

I hope the OP didn't get discouraged and run. :/
  • glassyo
    Options

I buy those boxes of mini Moon Pies from the Dollar store (Rant alert, everything is now $1.25 at the Dollar store. grr.) and I eat the whole box of six in one day.

Again. I'm sorry! It's my fault it went up to $1.25!

😀

That soup sounds so good. Good way to get veggies in.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options

😀

And cheese!! Don't forget the cheese! :)
  • glassyo
    Options

😀

And cal....um...and whatever else is in it!
  • ReenieHJ
    Options

😀

And cal....um...and whatever else is in it!

You meant calcium, right? :)
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Brit here - what’s a moon pie?!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

Brit here - what’s a moon pie?!

Soft cookies sandwiched with marshmallow and coated in chocolate.
    c2wrsfpp4918.jpeg
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Moon pies…in theory, good. In actuality, a whole bunch of artificial flavor. I’m sure they’re wonderful if homemade.
  • glassyo
    Options
    Moon pies…in theory, good. In actuality, a whole bunch of artificial flavor. I’m sure they’re wonderful if homemade.

Nope.Pretty darned good all artificial flavored up, too. 😀

@ReenieHJ Yes! Sure! We'll go with that. 😀
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

False in my world.

Personally, I like broccoli. Kind of a lot.

I don't like Moon Pies, not even a little bit.

Salt/sugar/fat notwithstanding, the pleasure of some nice broccoli triggers a dopamine reaction for me that a Moon Pie - the standard commercial one, at least - does not. I live in the North. Moon Pies, for me, at this time of year, might serve as an impromptu puck for broom hockey, but other than that there is no pleasure in them. Bleaah.
  • cmriverside
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Staahp bashing my Moon Pies.

I had some the day before this thread but I don't think I'd ever had them before and I was curious. I have to say I did enjoy them all you Moon Pie dislikers. The cookie part is like a soft graham cracker so they remind me of those things you make camping . . . S'Mores! But then I'm definitely one for whom sugary and or fatty stuff causes an over-reaction and I'll eat the whole pack of any treat-like food. Last night I ate an entire sleeve of saltines and PB.

Jonathan, please come back and help me out!