How to go vegan and still maintain needs?

bfmv44mag
bfmv44mag Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2022 in Food and Nutrition
I've recently decided to go through with becoming vegan after months of thinking, but am struggling as I'm only nearing my 4th day of transitioning. How can I get sufficient protein? I've already tried two different plant protein powders (both taste horrible and I have to force it down) and edamame/tofu, peanuts, flaxseed and high protein soy milk but it all just comes down to not being able to eat or drink much of it before I get absolutely sick to my stomach from the same taste and having to eat so much more of it to even get a decent amount of protein. I was on high protein/low carb before transitioning, and I am absolutely struggling now especially with carb balance since so many of these vegan options are carb heavy including the vegetables and fruits. What am I doing wrong..? It feels as if it's become a chore to even eat at this point and that I actually find comfort in starvation. But I don't want to lose the progress I've already made with my muscle gains thus far and that is the reason I still force myself to consume it. I am also supplemented on 5g of creatine and take a multi vitamin daily. Any advice?

Replies

• bfmv44mag
    bfmv44mag Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2022
    Also wanted to mention that I have been on a deficit for the past 10-12ish weeks and am currently at 205 lbs in 2 1/2 months from 225-230. So I feel as if I'm developing some sort of reverse eating disorder and at this point no longer know what to do, that's why I was attempting to go ahead and try to transition now to see if it would help change anything but I feel it's made it a bit worse.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I'm not vegan but I've recently started eating dairy free - so I have tried vegan protein options for that reason.

I tried OWYN ready made shakes today, they were good - I got the chocolate pro version (more protein). I would bet the regular version tastes even better. It tastes better than many milk-based protein shakes. I think they may make a powder, I'm not sure.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Nuts and nut milks are a good way to eat more fat/less carbs, although they don't have the protein. Eating dairy free recipes has given me a lot of nut/nut butter based things, I have been eating far fewer carbs and more fat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Not everyone is cut out to be vegan.

What is your rationale for being vegan? Are you using the term strictly, i.e., you have moral concerns about exploitation of animals, are also giving up wearing leather, etc? If so, you may be stuck. (You can work through it, though, I think, with a problem-solving orientation.)

If you're doing it for weight management, health or athletic performance, good news: Those so-called documentaries on Netflix (or wherever) are inaccurate. Fully plant based eating is not more healthful than well-balanced omnivory, particularly omnivory with a good lot of varied, colorful veggies and fruit in the mix. (No, I'm not a shill for Big Meat: I've been vegetarian for 47+ years, thin to fat to obese and back to thin again. I do eat eggs (not many) and dairy (quite a lot), but I could reach my protein goals fully plant-based, I believe. I know how. I just don't want to.)

Have you tried any of the more calorie-efficient fake meats? Impossible burgers, some of the mycoprotein things, etc? What about vegan protein bars?

Have you tried seitan, or are you also gluten intolerant? Other soy products, such as tempeh? Have you tried blending or mixing tofu into foods that hide its texture and inert flavor, such as (say) a nice baked cauliflower casserole with onions and some nutritional yeast for flavor? Blend them into "creamy" soups, with some calorie efficient veggie like Winter squash, maybe some pureed caramelized onions, fresh sage? Pretty tasty.

Have you discovered soy pasta (chewy texture, but high in protein and IMO good in Asian-style preparations, such as with stir-fried veggies and a peanut sauce made with defatted peanut butter powder). Other legume pastas? Personally, I find red lentil pasta the most similar to wheat pasta in texture and flavor, with about twice the protein. Chickpea pasta is OK, too.

What's your protein goal, and what's your goal weight? Are you confident that you need the level of protein you're targeting? I'm a believer in keeping protein on the high side myself, but we do sometimes see people with unnecessarily high goals, beyond what evidence-based guidance would suggest, so I feel compelled to ask.

Yes, plant sources of protein will come with more carbohydrates than meat or fish. It should be possible to manage that, within a sensible calorie goal. Since you're losing kind of fast, but not superfast for your current body weight, I assume you don't have a really aggressive calorie goal. However, if you need to switch dietary styles and are struggling, would it be viable for you to reduce your deficit, eat a little more (still less than maintenance calories), lose a little slower, to temporarily create a bit of wiggle room for your shift in food choices? I'm pretty sure you'd be able to dial it back down calorically, once you have things sorted on the food choice front.

Others will need to advise you on tastier plant-based protein powders. I think protein powder (or bars, etc.) can be useful, but I don't find them tasty or satisfying, so I don't eat them.

I'll offer some advice I often give new veg folks: Don't just think in terms of "one big protein per meal" like omnivores do. ("What's for dinner?" "Chicken."). Yes, a major protein source per meal is a good starting point, but go beyond that: Look for sides with more protein, snacks with more protein, beverages with more protein. There are even fruits with a bit of protein. Try to get a little bit of protein from nearly everything you eat. Those small amounts through the day will add up, be useful.

It'll take some time to dial these things in, though. That's OK. Kwashiorkor isn't instantaneous, you won't waste away immediately. Just work at it persistently: Review your food log, look for things with quite a few calories that aren't important to you for other reasons, reduce those, find alternatives with more protein. Rinse and repeat. I had to do that when I first started counting calories to lose weight.

In that respect, this thread may be useful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. You'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top, but there are plant sources further down the list. Find ones you like, work more of them into your eating.

If you feel the need to be vegan, this may take some work, but I think you can do it. Best wishes!
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    I heartily second everything in Ann's post.

It also might be worth looking into more calorie-dense vegan options. Foods like seitan and tempeh, in particular, are handy for getting a lot of protein without a lot of bulk. Also, doubling up on protein sources, such as quinoa and lentils to make 'meat' for tacos or lentil-loaf with a side of black-eyed peas, can be another way to add protein while still keeping your meals at a manageable size.

It was really surprising to me when I went fully vegan how much bulk there could be in my meals if I only ate what I considered 'healthy' foods. As someone who considered themselves a volume eater, I was pretty happy with this--for about a week, and then I got really tired of chewing lol So, I had to rethink what I thought of as healthy and satisfying. This meant including a lot of foods that my more diet-conscious friends were surprised at-- stuff like mac and cheese, pancakes, protein muffins, peanut butter, and Impossible Whoppers. But, by incorporating these foods (alongside high protein sources and fruits+veg) I was able to eat enough to feel full without feeling like I needed to unhinge my jaw at meal times.

It might also be a good idea to consider slowing down your transition so you can make it through the learning curve of getting adequate nutrition as a vegan. This can be tough if you're going vegan because of ethical considerations, but any big change takes time if it's going to last. I was a vegetarian for two years before going full vegan. During that time, I was learning about nutrition and discovering vegan options and substitutes that I enjoyed. As a result, when I hit that ethical realization, I was able to transition very easily and competently to a fully vegan diet. So, it might be something to consider.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2022
    bfmv44mag wrote: »
    I've recently decided to go through with becoming vegan after months of thinking, but am struggling as I'm only nearing my 4th day of transitioning. How can I get sufficient protein? I've already tried two different plant protein powders (both taste horrible and I have to force it down) and edamame/tofu, peanuts, flaxseed and high protein soy milk but it all just comes down to not being able to eat or drink much of it before I get absolutely sick to my stomach from the same taste and having to eat so much more of it to even get a decent amount of protein. I was on high protein/low carb before transitioning, and I am absolutely struggling now especially with carb balance since so many of these vegan options are carb heavy including the vegetables and fruits. What am I doing wrong..? It feels as if it's become a chore to even eat at this point and that I actually find comfort in starvation. But I don't want to lose the progress I've already made with my muscle gains thus far and that is the reason I still force myself to consume it. I am also supplemented on 5g of creatine and take a multi vitamin daily. Any advice?

Vegan diets are typically carb heavy...plants are carbs. Low carb and vegan aren't particularly good bed fellows...it is possible, but would be exceedingly restrictive. I would think trying to low carb and be vegan would be pretty close to miserable. Being vegan also requires more nutritional knowledge than your average Joe in order to get optimal nutrition and this can be a massive learning curve. Many vegans ease their way into it by becoming vegetarian first and working the learning curve...or even pescatarian to vegetarian and then to vegan. I don't know too many that just jump right into being vegan and have much success. A lack of nutritional knowledge can make a vegan diet pretty unhealthy and lacking in adequate nutrition. Anemia and B-12 deficiencies are common with vegans...at minimum you should be supplementing with vitamin B-12. Vegan diets also tend to lack a complete Omega 3 profile as plant sources only provide ALA omega 3 fatty acids but not EPA or DHA.

Many of your protein sources are going to be carbohydrates like legumes, lentils, whole grains, etc...also soy products like edamame, tempeh and tofu...seitan and faux meat products as well. All of the vegans that I know personally eat these types of things for most meals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    @cwolfman13 makes some good points there, reminds me that I should've included a link to this site:

https://veganhealth.org/

It's a level-headed, science-based site about vegan nutrition, with content from registered dietitians. (There are too many advocacy sites on the web that spread nonsense, some even saying that vegans don't become overweight, that vegans don't need to worry about nutritional values because plant foods are just thaaaaat good for a person, etc.)

Vegetarianism/veganism isn't that tough, but it's true that staying optimally nourished does require a little more conscious attention, and some knowledge, as compared with omnivorous eating. ( Not that all omnivores get optimum nutrition, either: Far from. But doing it as an omnivore is a little less . . . subtle? . . . generally.)

To the point about Omega-3s specifically: Animal sources are easier/cheaper/higher-quality, and it's hard to get really good amounts from plant foods alone, but there are some vegan-suitable supplements nowadays that are algae-based.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    For protein sources, don't forget about beans, and lentils, and all the interesting things you can do with them: chili, salads, soups, dahl, burgers, loafs. I find that protein power is OK in strongly flavored smoothies. I.e. smoothies made with frozen berries (or maybe add some pomegranate juice), Be sure to make them with frozen fruits, not regular fruit plus ice as the ice waters it down and makes the protein taste more obvious; or chocolate/coffee (coffee is really good for hiding the protein flavor), or add cinnamon if it is something that would go well with cinnamon. Some things that aren't high in protein, but help to get a bit more protein into your meal: Swap out white rice, potatoes or bread for quinoa or buckwheat. swap out pasta for chick-pea pasta. I would not worry about carbs if you are eating whole-foods based vegan. Any grains you eat would be whole grains, and the carbs in beans and legumes comes with lots of fiber and is slowly absorbed. These are relatively low glycemic index and will not give you the sugar and insulin spikes that you worry about with the standard American diet refined carbs/sugars. It may feel like a lot of carbs if you are switching directly from keto, and you will get that initial weight gain (mostly water) as your muscles store up some glycogen. However, muscles were meant to run on glycogen, and if you are eating moderate carbs on a regular basis then you won't get as much of a weight gain and bloat reaction every time you do have a few carbs. Most people who go onto a vegan diet will see their A1C go down, especially if they are loosing weight on it. And you get the added heart-healthy benefits of lots of fiber and almost no saturated fats.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited February 2022
    These may offer some advice. I have not read them completely to be honest, I have been vegan for several years and was on again off again for a long time prior. I use Sun Warrior Protein and am just going to start creatine (for the first time) after being in fitness, nutrition and supplements for many years. I have tempeh, tofu, edamame, nuts and seeds and nut butter powders, plant protein bars and occasional plant based meat substitutes. My carbs have been up recently because I have felt like eating them, really. I am about to start back on lower carb, higher fat an protein because it helps my digestion and I want to build muscle.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vegan-bodybuilding-diet
    https://www.skinny2fit.com/vegan-bodybuilders/
    https://softbacktravel.com/15-famous-vegan-athletes/
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20622542/
    https://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-diet-athletes/
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    xrj22 wrote: »
    And you get the added heart-healthy benefits of lots of fiber and almost no saturated fats.

Even a vegan diet contains saturated fat. Maybe lower than one that includes animal products but even olive oil is 14% saturated fat. And coconut oil (92%) is a lot higher in saturated fat than butter (51%).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    paints5555 wrote: »
    xrj22 wrote: »
    And you get the added heart-healthy benefits of lots of fiber and almost no saturated fats.

Even a vegan diet contains saturated fat. Maybe lower than one that includes animal products but even olive oil is 14% saturated fat. And coconut oil (92%) is a lot higher in saturated fat than butter (51%).

To add, saturated fats are also a needed nutrient as it is very important to production of certain hormones. It is one of those things where too much can potentially be bad, but too little can also be bad.