what are the benefits of protein shakes?

Options
Hey all ,

I am thinking of buying a protein shake soon... just wondering why they are so beneficial and what the best ones are?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    They contain protein and that is good for your muscles.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I know that but just wondering why drink shakes instead of eat eggs, etc?
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I just got IsoFlex. It's a bit on the pricier side, but is one of the best ones.

They are good as a meal replacement and/or a post workout meal.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    "Whey Protein
    Whey protein a fast-absorbing protein that is best served post workout. It contains amino acids that are critical to building and maintaining muscle. The best part about whey protein is its high biological value — a measure of the efficiency with which protein can be absorbed and used by the body for tissue growth."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/525400-20-best-muscle-building-foods/#ixzz1YHJE4LwS
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options

They are good if you are on the go like I am. I make a shake as I'm out the door to work.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    if you feel like you get enough protein with foods, then no need to make the purchase
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

They are good if you are on the go like I am. I make a shake as I'm out the door to work.

Ahhokay! I get it now :) Will defs look into it as I just found I am intolerant to eggs ><
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    They have BCAA's and are high in Protein that helps muscle repair and growth while after a workout. I take them after my workout and I need them. Sometimes I will have one for say a snack while at work so I am not munching on fast food chicken tenders.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    They aren't better (IMHO) than eating the protien, just many people have a hard time getting enough protien in...so it's a good way to do that without a bunch of calories (for instance, eggs add up IF you eat the yolks, etc.). At my weight, my nutritionist says i should have 100mg protien a day....i don't usually do the drinks, but i'll do a 20mg protien bar as a snack or breakfast, etc....but i have to make sure that i pretty much get a good 20mg protien in my 3 main meals, and maybe 12 or so in my snacks....if you are good on eating the protien, don't worry about the shakes!
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    eep double post sorry
  • BanderaOutlaw
    Options
    I follow a slow-carb diet, and my sleep habits usually don't allow me much time in the mornings for breakfast, so a protein shake is a great way to start my day with more than 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking - takes all of 30 seconds to make with a blender, tastes good (better than I thought), and gets me prepped for the day. I usually don't feel hungry until 3-4 hours later, right at lunch time.

Having a higher protein diet is good if you're combining strength training with weight loss, as well - lots of fuel for muscle repair.

Barring other medical issues, you'd have to drink this stuff like a bodybuilder to suffer ill effects. I have always been horrible about skipping breakfast, so protein shakes have really made a difference in starting my day without feeling sick or weak.

I've started with Body Fortress at Wally World, but now that I know I like the stuff and it works well for me, I'm looking to upgrade to something well-reviewed online. :-)
  • snkeller24
    Options
    MFP has the daily intake of protein set very low. I believe, don't quote me on it, that you should intake .5-1g of protein per lb of body weight.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It is a way to help hit your macros. It can be hard to eat enough egg whites, lean meats ets every day, especially if you are weight training and looking to preserve/ build muscle. It's a nice convenient way to take protein. Having the powder with water right after a water can help get some protein into your body quickly to help muscles start to repair. If it puts you over on calories consistently, you'll gain weight. I'd rather have a chocolate flavoured protein drink than eggs, anyway! But I still eat loads of eggs, lean meat, etc.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i find that they help me get closer to the daily protein goal i have set for myself.

i hate not getting enough protein.
  • hstallings13
    Options
    I like them after my workouts and on days that I'm just not feeling like eating I make it with milk and it eats up some calories that I just dont' feel like eating. Builds lean protein too which hey...big plus there
  • abouthealth56
    abouthealth56 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's quick to prepare/make a smoothie with. It's convenient- no cooking, and it gets protein and other nutrients into your system, particularly after a workout. As far as it being superior to egg whites or lean chicken, beef, etc., I don't believe that is true. It's simply an alternative, but no magic bullet. Also, there are lots of different types of protein powders, some with carbs, some with no carbs, some are meal replacements, some are post workout, etc., etc. Do some research and you'll see what I mean.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I don't get enough of my protein from food, usually because I can't afford high protein foods like lean meats. I also like making a protein shake in the morning before class to get my brain going. Not to mention, it's quick and easy. Lately I've just been mixing the chocolate whey with hot water to make a mug of hot chocolate!
  • cownancy
    Options
    I can get 30 grams of protein for only 160 calories with my shakes, which is great. Plus, for those of us who are wls patients, they are VERY useful pre- and post- surgery when liquid diets are often necessary. I have one every morning.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It is best to get your protein from a food source.

Some people have trouble consuming enough food to get the amount of protein you get from a shake. I can get 52 grams of protein for my 260 calories in two scoops of my protein shake. Along with like, 4 carbs. Whereas I would never be able to eat enough food to get 52g of protein. Especially with only 260 calories.

Yummy-Yummy protein!