Looking to share knowledge

Options
2»

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    When I was 8 years old, we went on vacation to this little resort in northern Michigan.
    They had a game room and put out FREE moon pies there.
    My cousin and I ate soooo many moon pies, we got sick.
    Because of that, they still turn my stomach a little when I look at them...over 35 years later.
    Childhood trauma courtesy of moon pies.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Ok @cmriverside :) If it's a life or death choice between broccoli and moon pies I'd have to break down and eat a moon pie. I've been known to eat junk food that I don't like, over healthy stuff I should be eating. Strange but true. :/
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Moon Pies don’t taste right if you don’t have the RC Cola with it. The OP being a chef I’m sure he’d agree.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Hmm 🤔 I’m wondering if they are similar to the Wagon Wheels we get in the UK. They’re single layer but I think have weird marshmallow stuff in them too, with strange imitation chocolate.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Hmm 🤔 I’m wondering if they are similar to the Wagon Wheels we get in the UK. They’re single layer but I think have weird marshmallow stuff in them too, with strange imitation chocolate.

Very similar...I think wagon wheels have jam? No jam in a Moon Pie, but pretty much the same concept otherwise.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,601 Member
    Options
    Yup, quick Google search shows jam.

Can we talk twiglets now cuz... British Whose Line Is It Anyway? 😀
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was reacting less to the Moon Pies (which it's true I don't enjoy), than (over-)reacting to yet again seeing that kind of overstatement about dopamine and sugar/fat/salt.

Can those things cause a dopamine release? Sure, like any other pleasurable thing. Is it common for people to find sugar/fat/salt-containing foods pleasurable for reasons physiological, cultural, social, and personal, a potentially pretty potent combination when they align? Sure. Does the dopamine system have some role in sustaining habits - even really bad, destructive habits? Yes. Do a few things truly hijack and pervert physiological reward systems (such as, say, heroin)? Yup.

If someone isn't eating sugar by spoonfuls out of the sugar bowl, drinking olive oil from the bottle, eating salt direct from the shaker, then personally I think there's more to it than "OMG sugar/fat/salt dopamine!!!".

Picking a random example from an academic neuroscientist:
    Pleasure itself – that good feeling you get in response to food, sex and drugs – is driven by the release of a range of neurotransmitters (chemical messengers) in many parts of the brain. But dopamine release in the brain’s reward system is particularly important. Dopamine release tells the brain when to expect something rewarding, modulates how rewarding it will be and drives us to seek rewarding things.
    . . .
    We all experience pleasure differently as a result of individual differences in biology or neurochemistry, but also as a result of past experiences (no longer liking a food that previously made you sick), and differing social and cultural factors.

For example, musical preferences seem to be shaped more by upbringing than by biological factors. So while some may get a greater hit of dopamine from buying a new handbag, others may get it from placing a bet on a sports match.

https://medicine.uq.edu.au/article/2018/04/how-pleasure-affects-our-brain

Among other things, dopamine release related to certain things is to some extent a conditionable response. We're trainable, IOW.

Maybe PP was joking around, with that dopamine remark. I hope so. But I fear not.