How do you handle your haters?

Options
borichfan2
borichfan2 Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
What do you do about your Haters (people who talk about you behind your back & act jealous of your weight loss success, because they simply don't have the motivation or will power to do it themselves? I take their Negativity & use it for my Motivation to shove my success in their face!

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    borichfan2 wrote: »
    What do you do about your Haters (people who talk about you behind your back & act jealous of your weight loss success, because they simply don't have the motivation or will power to do it themselves? I take their Negativity & use it for my Motivation to shove my success in their face!

Your pre-edited post made you sound less like an *kitten*.

Just sayin'.... 😀
  • Lady_ofthee_lakes
    Lady_ofthee_lakes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ignore them and laugh it off… it’s their problem not mine
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Smile and strut with the badge of honor.
    No need to brag or discuss weight/diet unless someone asks. MHO
  • californiagirl1969
    Options
    Haters can be family, friends, co workers and acquaintances. It's not just a childhood problem. With no provocation.

If it's someone close to you, talk to them about their behavior if they don't stop the offending behavior I would distance or no.longer associate with the person, depending on how bad the behavior is. If it's a co worker, I would only communicate with them as much as needed, other then that I'm ignoring them or reporting to management depending how severe behavior is.

In my experience a lot of times people get worse and make it unbearable to deal with them.

People really get ridiculously jealous, but refuse to make changes and do something good for themselves and personally I don't have time for it.

We can only be so kind to others and I'm tired of being kinder then people refuse to treat me.

Congratulations on your success, keep doing what's good for you . Sorry you're going through this. 😉
  • glassyo
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    If I even have "haters," I don't know who they are, nor do I care.

Dunno, I guess I left that kind of silliness in middle school where it belongs?

Bowling for Soup has this great song called High School (or apparently middle school) Never Ends.

OK, OP, even tho it now sounds worse than what you originally posted and, you're somewhat sociable, here are some tips.

First, yeah, screw anyone who's not supportive.

Second, you're going to encounter more social events where meals are involved so can you make substitutions? Ask for sauce on the side? See if they can decalorify the cooking method? Order a salad, being mindful of the reeeeeeally caloric foods that aren't needed on it? Get something small but end up talking and socializing so much you eat only half the meal? Say screw it, it's once in a blue moon and I really wanna polish off that macaroni and cheese?

Didn't the person in your original post just basically roll their eyes when they were told you went somewhere more healthy to eat first?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've heard this phrased a few ways, but here's my take that I try to embrace:

"If no one hates you, then you're doing something wrong."

Taking that a step further, for me, if no one hates me, then I'm not doing anything great - people hate you because they are jealous of you, hate themselves, or want what you are doing/have. This is even true for me if I really evaluate why I dislike someone (outside of just "bad" people, but that's not what I'm talking about here).

I'm not there to shove it in their face - I'm doing what I'm doing for me, not them. But a few haters along the way tells me I am doing something right.

In fact, chances are, if you're trying to change your life, the people "in your circle" are going to evolve and change as well, since the previous people can no longer relate to you - that may come out as a "hater" but it has more to do with themselves and not being able to relate to you anymore than it does about you.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you lose weight, one has to lose old social ties. This is why weight loss has to be a personal journey done for yourself not others. If all of us on here counted on loving support from those in our homes and workalike to reach our goals...we'd fail for sure.
    Friends, family, and co-workers can be threatened by someone achieving the difficult task of losing weight.. and they lash out. Not our problem to solve that.. but move on.. find people in your life who are supportive and have more confidence and can have an attractive friend without feeling less of a person themselves.
  • Lxxy30
    Lxxy30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don’t interact or keep anyone in my life that disturbs my peace . Period .
  • glassyo
    Options
    I don't think anyone's ever hated or been jealous of my weight loss. I *have* had people concerned....a nurse/caretaker client who thought I was sick and my boss and another client who said I should eat a burrito but I took both as compliments. :)
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of haters and am quite happy to have them!

Jealous of my weight loss? I'm doing something right. Jealous of my business? I'm doing something right. Jealous of my personal life? I'm doing something right.

You can't control what others think or say about you. You CAN control how you react to them.