Beginners in need of help.

Options
Hello all, my girlfriend and I have made the decision to try to get healthier. Recently she's gotten on some new medication that has made her gain some weight and negatively impacted her self image. In addition to calorie counting(Using the My Fitness Pal app, and being more active in our lifestyle, we are looking to add some exercises that we can do together at home with eachother. While I was in the Navy I don't really have access to the same workout equipment that I did before. She has always had a stronger metabolism and never needed to work out to maintain a good weight.

We have access to a basic gym in out appartment complex, an assortment of treadmills, bikes and ellipticals, as well as various weight machines. That said, we have no idea how to get started with it. Can anyone provide us with some exercises or some other resource so that we can get started in a positive way?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Replies

• ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You'll want to build to 150 minutes of cardio/week (5x30 minutes is common). You can look up the pro's and con's to each machine, but I recommend using the one that's the most fun. Don't go full tilt from the start. Easy days for a week or two to let your body respond and adjust.

You can find instructions for every one of those weight machines online as well as beginners programs. DON'T spend money on a program to start no matter what it promises. The most common mistake I see with people new to the process is not understanding the way muscles balance each other. We like to do all of the pushing exercises (because those are the muscles we see in the mirror?) and tend to neglect the pulling exercises. In the course of a week if you do however many chest exercises you need to match that with similar work for your upper back. Same for your abs and glutes.

I always think a consultation with a personal trainer is a good investment.

Best luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    In case it may help you, there's a thread here about strength programs other MFP-ers have found helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Generally, it's a good idea to follow a well-designed program, rather than just "doing weight stuff" more casually at the gym.

Best wishes to you and your girlfriend!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have any suggestions on what specifically you guys should do at the gym but if you are specifically looking for stuff to do together then I'd suggest:

Hiking. Do you have areas around where you could explore new hiking trails together? I think going on a hike with another person (sig. other, friends, family) is always great. You can be outside, active, and talk/connect with each other. Take in some beautiful views. Get some good old vitamin D.

Rock Climbing. Might not work but if you have a rock climbing gym near you I think it's one of the best things to do as a couple. It's great to learn something new with each other and you end up belaying for one another which can help build trust and all that jazz. Rock climbing is a great full body activity and I find the learning curve is quit quick. Like the first day you go it'll seem really hard and maybe you'll be able to do two routes until your arms are jello but you get better quite quick at it. I've loved doing it with partners in the past.

Some sort of sport like... tennis, handball, or pickle ball. Or other things you can do as partners. I just know pickle ball has become very popular around me and you play in pairs.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    AxisPhreak wrote: »
    Hello all, my girlfriend and I have made the decision to try to get healthier. Recently she's gotten on some new medication that has made her gain some weight and negatively impacted her self image. In addition to calorie counting(Using the My Fitness Pal app, and being more active in our lifestyle, we are looking to add some exercises that we can do together at home with eachother. While I was in the Navy I don't really have access to the same workout equipment that I did before. She has always had a stronger metabolism and never needed to work out to maintain a good weight.

We have access to a basic gym in out appartment complex, an assortment of treadmills, bikes and ellipticals, as well as various weight machines. That said, we have no idea how to get started with it. Can anyone provide us with some exercises or some other resource so that we can get started in a positive way?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    This app and Fitbit trackers work amazing together and you can do fitness challenges with each other and others for the push and motivation. Get 10,000 steps a day. I walk with weighted vest. Treadmill 10 3 10 method. Get lots of protein and take something for gut health. You'd be surprised to know everyone has poor gut health which alot could be bloating due to that also. Y'all feel free to friend request me. I'm always here to help.