These forums look interesting

Options
DFW_Tom
DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
Hi, a quick intro: 65, male, and with horrible lifestyle. Am amazed to have stuck around this long. Determined though to stick around some more and enjoy the grandkids. I've enjoyed watching the scales spin backwards the last few weeks while on Keto and hitting the gym 3 times a week. Still want/need to loose 100 lbs. I'm not a heavy drinker, but there is something about having a Scotch (neat) while enjoying a cigar and watching the flames in the fireplace. Finding a way to end my almost 2 pack a day cigarette addiction is the next big challenge in transforming my lifestyle.

Replies

• michellewale1977
    michellewale1977 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I’m 44 and have smoked 20 a day since I was 16. I’ll quit eventually! Sorting my recent weight gain out first. 3lbs down, 25 to go.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP Community! It sounds like you have some great (but challenging) goals.

I'm 66, didn't get active until mid/late 40s (after the whole 9 yards of cancer treatment), stayed fat until 59-60, then reached a healthy weight and have stayed at a healthy weight since. Both those changes were big improvements in my quality of life.

For fun one day, I did one of those "predict your lifespan" health quizzes, filling it out for my mid-40s self, and my current self. My younger self's habits were predicted to result in death at 67. My current self's lifestyle was predicted to have me live to 102. 😆 I don't take that literally (far from - my family genetics suggest 80s would be probable). Still!

You can do this. You might like the group "Larger Losers", which is aimed at people who have (or had) 75+ pounds to lose, has lots of nice, supportive people in it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

Wishing you success - so worth it, IMO!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you, especially with quitting smoking! You've got some big challenges ahead of you, but you've also found a very supportive, helpful group of folks here who have your back
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It has been a year since I posted my introduction and am overjoyed to report how much MFP forum member's opinions and fact based post have helped educate me health wise. THANK YOU!

I've dropped 88 lbs over the last 12 months, 100 pounds off since my personal weight loss journey began in the Fall of 2021. Mostly by changing the way I eat every day, tracking the macros consumed and moving more. I've slowly increased the amount of carbohydrates in my daily meals as I could tolerate them to where I'm averaging 100-130 net CHO per day. BMI from 45 to 29. 13 inches off my waist. Quit cigarettes a couple of months ago (still smoking a cigar or two a day though). I feel healthier today than I have in decades.

I am unable to express just how much the forum post by all of you have helped educate and guide me. 12 months ago I would have said it was impossible to make the lifestyle changes I've made and get the kind of results I've experienced. Still have fat to get rid of. Then there is the bigger challenge of maintaining weight. I'm looking forward to the pearls of wisdom MPF forum members are willing to share in 2023 and beyond that will help me and others.

Again, THANK YOU!