Weight gone on

Hi, I'm a 5ft 6in female. I've got about 13 stone to loose. Since Christmas I have lost constantly every week and now I've lost 1 stone 4 pounds in total. In the last two weeks I've lost 9 pounds. This week however despite doing all the same things and even a bit better I've put on a pound. I'm currently eating 1700 Cal's a day and exercising a bit. (I struggle with movement due to an illness.) I don't understand why nothing has come off this week. Does anyone have an advice please?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,242 Member
    I almost always found if I lost more than usual one week (and sometimes even if I didnt) there would be a small self correction or adjustment the following week - so if I lost 4.5 lb per week for 2 weeks I might gain 1 lb the following week - overall amount is still 8 lb lost over 3 weeks, of course.

its just the normal fluctuations that happen in real life, that's all.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,363 Member
    Yeah. What they said ^^

This is a long-haul project and not every week is going to be a "loss."

Have you looked at the "Larger Losers" Group? Lots of great info, empathy and support there. :) You can read without joining but to post, you'll need to click the "Join" button at the top.

link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Please read @PAV8888 again. Lots of wisdom in there.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    :) go you! you're amazing!

If I were to try to draw a graph of your bioactivity I'd have maybe 3 or 4 lines going across it, impacting on your total 'weight'.
    1. Water. Exercise makes you keep water. So does auntie flo which has its own up and down cycle, and if you have recently increased your exercise, your muscles will probably be carrying water.
    2. glycogen. This is the way your glucose is stored in the liver, with 4 times its own weight in water. In the first few weeks of a very low calorie diet you can lose a lot of glycogen. But as time goes by, you can lose fat and retrieve glycogen - which is a good thing; which would mean you had no change on the scales, or the change was reduced.
    3. food in the gut. Depending on what you ate the last few days, and whether you've been to the loo or not before weighing, you could be carrying a pound of solid waste and 2 pounds of wees. :D

The laws of physics demand that if you eat fewer calories than you use, you will use up stored fat. So even when you don't see movement on the scales, it's really important to just trust the science.

I don't expect to show change on the scales more than once a week. Even though I'm consistently using up more calories than I ingest, it shows up in its own way, in its own time.

You're doing amazing, and I'm really impressed. Just keep doing what you're doing. :)
  • dzinegrl
    dzinegrl Posts: 5 Member
    On weeks/days where it looks like I haven’t lost any weight my Withings Body+ body composition smart scale shows I’ve lost body fat(yay), am carrying excess water or have gained muscle. Weight fluctuates depending on salt, meals, bathroom activities, etc. Weight is just one indicator, so I’d suggest a scale that will give you a more holistic look at what is actually happening. The weight is automatically added to MFP app but the rest of the info appears on their Heath Mate App. The info has evaporated a lot of my previous frustrations and has allowed me to calm down. I’m thinking of getting their Scanwatch and sleep tracking mat so I can keep biohacking my weight loss journey. For the record, I have no affiliation with them and just use their products.