SO, I GOT MY HRM AND.......

Options

Replies

• kassied09
    Options
    I have a question about this - When I work out on machines at the gym (and there is a heart rate monitor on it) do you find that your HRM is definitely much different from those numbers as well? (you guys are scaring me!)

A HRM that attaches to you will always be more accurate then a generic machine. Most machines don't take into account height, weight, age..etc where a HRM does. Nothing it 100% accurate but a HRM that straps to your chest will give you the closest.

Also just wanted to mention I did the JM Shred and was always around the 200 burn mark and I was using the FT4 ( I think)

Thanks. This definitely helps. Though it does not take my height/age it does take my weight. I feel like it is not AS off as I was thinking. Good to know.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't have an FT7, but I do have an FT60. I was wondering if you did all the settings. There may be places where you can set your weight, age, etc. You didn't say how many minutes you were working and I don't do those types of routines myself, but those numbers do seem kind of low. If it's all set and everything then also make sure it's picking up your heart beat. If the contact isn't good between the belt and your chest it may not register. If that's a problem, wet the strips on the underside before strapping it on so the contact will be better. Anyways just some suggestions. The HRM is a very useful tool though.

This is good advice! The FT60 has the Fitness Test feature, that gives you even a better estimation. If you have the means to afford it, spend the extra money.

You do have to enter all the inputs in the settings accurately.

And I spit on the contacts every time.

But its impossible to get a feel for high or low. An individual's perceived intensity can be very different. The HRM gives that valuable feedback to match perception with what's really going on.
  • joesan563
    joesan563 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes the ft7 lets you enter weight age sex and height.
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    are ft7's a pain to wear all day?

I have an ft4. Sometimes I forget that I have it on. It is very comfortable.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't have an FT7, but I do have an FT60. I was wondering if you did all the settings. There may be places where you can set your weight, age, etc.

Yes, I put in all my personal information and the 2 workouts I've used it for so far have been JMs 30 Day Shred (25 mins) and JMs Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism (45 minutes)

I can't WAIT to use it at the gym on the treadmill or elliptical and compare to the machine's readings.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I switched to a Polar HRM from a Timex. Likewise, it was quite an ego blow, but as you said, it's best to get an accurate picture--I'm hoping it's more accurate, anyway. The Polar allowed me to input more personal info, so I think that made the difference.
    I did the exact same thing. I loved the look of the Timex and have had Timex watches in the past. But the first time I used the HRM on the Timex, it seemed way too high (just comparing other friends at similar weights/ages doing similar exercises). I did some research and Polar seems pretty committed to accuracy. I ended up getting an FT7. I wanted something I could wear as a watch too. It's not the most accurate Polar, but I think much more accurate than the Timex.

It's all about information, data points and making good estimations. But it's still all guesswork. We just try to narrow the margin of error. Almost everything we do on MFP is an estimation. The key - for me at least - is understanding that, and trying to get a relatively accurate estimation.
  • Christiiiine
    Options
    I just ordered the FT7 and can't wait for it to get here..... or can I? haha Looks like reality isn't going to be too kind to me.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite happen. MFP's database was significantly LOWER for most exercises. When I got my Polar, I was shocked by how many calories I was actually burning -- in many cases twice or three times the amount that MFP said. It's closer on other types of exercise, but walking, yoga, and pilates were way off on the low side.
  • solpwr
    Options
    More science, less guesswork. HRM's help with that. Like having a kitchen scale to weigh your food. Knowledge is power.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    I check my pulse about 75% of the time that I work out... the other 25% of the time is when I am lazy and just go by the data base. And when I do I feel like it gives me way more calories burned than what I felt. I need a HRM bad!! Anyone want to donate one to me? LOL.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that HRMs estimate ALL calories burned during that exercise - but if you weren't exercising at all you'd still be burning BMR calories. Doesn't make much difference for a one hour workout, but if you're measuring long periods, you do need to take your BMR off the totals.

For instance yesterday I burned over 2,000 calories on a 13 mile hike, but it took over seven hours. In that time I'd have burned over 400 calories even if I'd been relaxing, so I only logged 1560 calories burned for that hike.

Doesn't make much difference to me as I don't eat most of my exercise calories, but thought it worth pointing out for those who want to be as accurate as possible given that calories estimated by HRMs are not precise to start with. :smile:
  • Christiiiine
    Options
    Quick question -- is there really a difference between a men's and women's HRM or is it more just the design of them stylistically?
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Also, remember that HRMs estimate ALL calories burned during that exercise - but if you weren't exercising at all you'd still be burning BMR calories. Doesn't make much difference for a one hour workout, but if you're measuring long periods, you do need to take your BMR off the totals.

For instance yesterday I burned over 2,000 calories on a 13 mile hike, but it took over seven hours. In that time I'd have burned over 400 calories even if I'd been relaxing, so I only logged 1560 calories burned for that hike.

Doesn't make much difference to me as I don't eat most of my exercise calories, but thought it worth pointing out for those who want to be as accurate as possible given that calories estimated by HRMs are not precise to start with. :smile:

how are you burning so low for a 13 mile hike? was it a flat hike or somethin? Cause I easily burn over 1,000 on a 2.8 Mi (1.4 mi each way). hike that reaches 2,705 Summit Peak..
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I could have cried when I realized how much over the machines were ( and this site was) compared to my Polar FT7 but am grateful for the more accurate picture now. You are only supposed to wear a hrm for exercise, they are not for all day use in general (unless you are exercising all day...remember to take off your bmr cals if you wear it a long time). If you want an all day picture, buy a body bugg or body media fit.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    For instance yesterday I burned over 2,000 calories on a 13 mile hike
    how are you burning so low for a 13 mile hike? was it a flat hike or somethin? Cause I easily burn over 1,000 on a 2.8 Mi (1.4 mi each way). hike that reaches 2,705 Summit Peak..
    There wasn't a massive elevation gain, but the main reason is that I am now only 122lb dry - unfortunately that means a huge decrease in calorie burn for any given activity.

Also, because I'd never planned a hike that long, my wonderful boyfriend carried all our gear for most of the hike, leaving me with only a super-light daypack. :smile:
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    OMG I hear all u guys!!!! Its a Slap in my face.......but now I know how much I actually burn!!!! Mfp is way off as the treadmill and my elliptical!!!
  • solpwr
    Options
    Quick question -- is there really a difference between a men's and women's HRM or is it more just the design of them stylistically?

Yeah its cosmetic. I believe that all of them make you input your gender. If yours doesn't its not a good enough HRM for what you are looking for.
  • solpwr
    Options

Yeah, a lot of people do it this way. I don't here's why:

So you subtracted 400 out. But what if you would have worked in the garden? Maybe you should have subtracted out a gardening session. Or housecleaning? Or whatever. It gets problematic.

It is a challenge on huge days like that a 7 hour day. I'll bet you were well under your calorie goal anyway that day, just because you had a big cardio day.

There are plenty of ways to make the subtle adjustments, mostly trial and error, right?
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of people do it this way. I don't here's why:

So you subtracted 400 out. But what if you would have worked in the garden? Maybe you should have subtracted out a gardening session. Or housecleaning? Or whatever. It gets problematic.
    My activity level is set to light, so if I do anything that burns a lot of calories eg digging my garden, I wear my HRM and log the calories, after removing 60 calories per hour for my BMR.

However, the point is not that people *should* subtract their BMR from the readings on their HRMs, but that they should be aware that it's not accounted for, especially if they are "eating back" all their calories.

I'm only 3lb off my goal weight now, so obviously this is working for me, but other people may prefer to do things differently. If their way is working for them, that's great. :smile: