Dealing with a herniated disk and exercise

Options
I have a herniated disk L5/S1 that is pressing on multiple nerves. So far, I have had 2 spinal blocks and will start physical therapy next month. Eventually, however, I want to be back to "normal". Now, I know that disk will never truly be back to normal, which means the some of the older, more intensive, exercise will have to go.

Who out here has had a herniated disk in the lower back, and what kinds of exercise do you do to stay in shape now?

Thanks!

Replies

• laroja1110
    laroja1110 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    **bump**

Great question but sorry...I don't have much to offer on this one. I have a herniated disk also but it isn't nearly as progressed as yours so I am able to do most workouts except for ab work on the floor.
  • fuddbrown
    fuddbrown Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem which started back in 2005. Started exercising in January this year. Trick is to be careful and not to lift anything that will compress the spine. I use the exercise bike, machine weights, stepper, arm bike. will start swimming when feeling brave enough. Have also been told by a physio that pilates is good to do and should be very benificial. Have bought a DVD that is pilates for lower back pain, but not really given it a proper go as yet.
  • kathott
    kathott Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    hi there. i herniated that disc back in 1992. i have gone thru many years of therapy and different things. I ended up having surgery back in 2006 which made things worse. best exercise i have found is walking. you can control the speed with how good your
    back is feeling or not. the other good exercise for bad back is swimming/water aerobics. Even if you have pain (i have pain 24/7) you should still try to at least do some walking. it will seize up even more if you dont.

Please feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.....i have 19 years of dealing with this issue...would be glad to help if
    I can.
    ..BEST ADVICE....LIVE YOUR LIFE - relish in the good days and accept you will have bad days....but keep living your life!

Kathleen
  • martinh78
    Options
    I have burst the disk in my lower back and it took a long while but now I'm back to full strength and exercise as before, or maybe even harder. Listen to the physio, take their advice (they should encourage exercise and movement) and, in my mind, don't be "afraid" of your back for the rest of your life. Don't get me wrong, it took 9 months for mine to heal with physio and a couple of years before I was confident in doing most things without thinking about it. I still don't dig the garden though, that's the only thing I can't do without getting back ache.

It doesn't have to be a problem for life.
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My mom had 2 slipped disks and 2 surgeries. She does all kinds of exercise. I have 2 herniated disks and I do all kinds of exercise as well. However, our disks do not bother us much anymore (unless we do that one movement that trips everything up!!!). For you, I would do anything that does not have major impact. Examples would be: walking, the elliptical machine, cycling, yoga and pilates. Running, jumping ect will cause you much pain because of the impact on your disk. Also, be careful on the kinds of stretches you do. That can really mess up your back too. I hope you feel better. I feel for you!!!! :cry:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I have herniated disks. Walking is probably the best exercise. Lately I've been practicing climbing/jogging on my apt building stairs- practicing lifting myself with my core & quads INSTEAD of my back - many ppl want to lean forward & use their back muscles (unconsciously) to pull themselves upstairs. I have to THINK about my posture a lot more, over time I've noticed if I don't, I get 'lazy' and my back aches.
    Swim if you can, walk & tone your core. Keep your abs strong - use them instead of your back for walking and lifting. Our back muscles are some of the weakest - but the muscles surrounding them are our strongest - use your glutes & quads to hold your back up.
    Stretching is crucial. I read something very interesting about stretching - watch your cat or dog. They ALWAYS stretch when they first wake up. DO THIS. This will take time to become a habit but practice STRETCHING before you get out of bed. Stretch before you do ANYthing strenuous - mowing the lawn, anything. in fact, my motto is: when in doubt, stretch. When your back starts to ache, stretch, take an anti-inflammatory & ice it. When my back hurts now, I do this and rest it.
    Good luck - I know how painful that can be, feel better soon
  • mom2ajnsz
    mom2ajnsz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i too herniated L5 and S1 in 1997. never got back to full movement after that. in 2009 i further herniated L5 and S1 and also S2. i had so much inflammation that i actually snapped a disc when bending to pick up a sock off the floor. after that i couldn't walk for over 10 days. i had no choice but to have surgery.

after the surgery, the dr told me that my original herniation had calcified to the sciatic nerve (which is why i can't do all i used to do) and there was nothing he could do about that without causing further nerve damage. he was able to remove the broken disc and shave off the herniation and i was walking again within hours of coming out of surgery.

today, i still go to a sports med facility and see their chiropractor, PT, massage therapist and sports med dr anywhere from 1-3x/wk. there, under their supervision, i do exercises to strengthen my core muscles and at home i am encouraged to walk or swim. i like the elliptical too because i have bad knees and it has no impact.

just take it slow. ask your doctor what his/her recommendation is. if the herniation is pressing on your sciatic nerve i would recommend seeing an orthopedic before the material calcifies to the nerve.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been walking, although slowly, and I've been thinking about trying swimming, because I love to swim. I was so active before, just in daily schedule, and trying to be healthy, that now I feel unhealthy hardly moving. I know I'm not going fast enough for cardio. But I am starting PT soon, so I will be sure to get instructions on weight machines, etc.

Ironically, I'm 99.9% sure I did this in Yoga class. I was trying to strengthen my core to help with ongoing, but less severe, back issues. Then my chiro kept adjusting on the area, and I think that made it worse. Not his fault though, it didn't show on x-ray. But it did get several weeks to get diagnosed. I'm taking from some of your comments that's it's ok to be adjusted after a herniated disk? Even if you didn't have surgery? I've been scared to go.

Mom2: OMG! Um, going to ask a dr about that one. I know for a fact it's pressing on the nerve bundle, but the neurolosurgeon didn't seem concerned about that. Then again, I haven't blown mine out completely, or cracked anything. Bless your heart!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    In 2008 I found out my back/leg pain was due to a herniated L5/S1 and perforated L3/L4 disc and complicated with arthritis (per MRI). I did the 3 weeks physical therapy that my insurance allowed. I had to decline the cortizone injections in the spine because I am a steroid responder (bad reactions to any and all steroids). Since I refused the injections, the doctor (quack) I had been seeing decided that I was just after pain meds (I had refused every one offered) and told me to go elsewhere. I took my MRI to a chiropractor and started treatment with him. I got relief after just a couple visits. He got my low back and hips adjusted enough that it took the pressure off the sciatic nerve and the inflamation subsided. I still go when needed. I can't jump out of bed and exercise first thing.

Walking is my primary cardio. I have found that pilates works better than yoga for me. It may be my novice standing, but pilates seems to be more floor work than yoga. Standing and bending don't mix well some days. I wait until early afternoon to do any exercise to give my back a chance to loosen up.

Good Luck!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart. Fortunately, the rest of my disks around this one are "in excellent shape", I don't have a reaction to the steriods, and my primary, if sometimes initially doubtful, always gives me the benefit of the doubt and runs the tests. That's why I still drive almost an hour across town to see him when others are closer.

Like you, my insurance only covers 20 PT visits a year. I've had one so far. But I have a really great guy that will let me call/email questions even when he's done seeing me. I am very blessed in this regard.
  • RaeaJade
    RaeaJade Posts: 4
    Options
    I have two herniated disks with severe nerve damage and I pretty much can't do anything. I've tried lifting light weights, walking, yoga, everything aggravates it. I don't have insurance so I've had no treatment. I'd suggest working with a physical therapist and asking them what you should be doing. That's what I would do if I could. I really miss intense exercise and especially running. Best of luck to you!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Speak to your physio first but as its not weight bearing its ideal.
  • pkingfox
    pkingfox Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi - I can totally feel your pain! I too have two herniated discs, Jan. 2012 and couldn't even walk at times. I did PT and over the past year had totally let the rest of me go - due to not being able to do much and the fear of doing anything. All I can say is PT PT PT - and once they release you - always keep in mind you will never be the same HOWEVER do not be afraid of doing exercise - you will start to feel that same tweek and immediately stop doing that movement - but don't be afraid to try different things. I, like the others find walking to be the best and swimming a very close 2nd. Yoga and Pilates have been highly recommended to me - I wish I could afford the pilates set up - as it feels the best but is very expensive. My only regret was not getting moving sooner! I wish you all the best please feel free to friend me - I'd love to hear your progress!
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Hi

I'm new to this forum but not to bulging discs! I have 3 at L3, L4 and L5. This all happened back in 2005. Fortunately, I have quite a large spinal canal so I'm not restricted too much by pain. Pilates has been a great help in building my core. I also work on keeping a good posture. I run 6 times a week but listen to my body and ease back if I start to get discomfort. I make sure I do release exercises before and stretch well after running. I would say that the pilates sessions which I do every day have been the greatest help to me and of course, striving to keep my weight down! We learn more about our bodies when we get these kind of challenges, but we can also learn to manage the condition and carry on! All the best!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have two herniated disks from a car accident where I T-boned a lady who ran a stop sight, then panicked and stopped in the intersection.

Anyway, I swim. I was not a swimmer, but I have stated slowly and learned gradually. Get thee to a pool! If you're not comfortable in the water, get some foam noodles, put them between your legs like you're riding the letter U and make leg movements like you're bicycling down the pool.
  • canpe
    canpe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I suffered from a herniated disc L3/L4 since 2010, very very painful. However, I made a significant changes in my life.
    1- not lifting heavy weights any more
    2- moving to a smaller house to reduce the amount of chores and cleaning
    3- started doing exercise little by little
    4- eating healthy, 1400 calories per day
    5- I got rid of a relationship that caused a lot of stress due to unresolved conflict

Today, I am walking 2 miles per day and I am not taking any pain medication.

I hope and pray that God will heal you completely as you do your part one day at it time :)

Blessings!

Carmen
  • canpe
    canpe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you qualify for Affordable Care Plan?