16 mini pretzels: 110 calories 0g fat

16 Cape Cod Reduced Fat Kettle Chips: 110 calories, 5g fat

16 Tostitos Tortilla Chips: 320 calories 16g fat
zev6b2bhi0oz.jpeg

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Those Veggie Straws taste like Styrofoam to me. I'd go with the pretzels...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Papadums and asian prawn crackers sold for deep frying at home can be crisped up in the microwave. For papadum's it is about a minute at maximum wattage and prawn crackers about 30 seconds. They might be a bit flacid when you take them out but they turn brittle once they cool. A single papadum is about 35 kcal. Pictured here with a dipping sauce of no fat yoghurt with some mango chutney stirred in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I prefer crispy snacks with some nutritional values that helps me, and I'm willing to spend a few more calories in that scenario. So:

28g/1 ounce of Enlightened Bada Boom Bada Bean crispy broad (fava) beans (various flavors): 100 calories, 7g protein. (Most flavors are 100 calories, a few are 110).
    28g/1 ounce/allegedly 12 count of Beanitos Black Bean (Original Flavor) Tortilla Chips: 130 calories, 5g protein.

There are other similar things, but those are the ones I enjoy most.

With the black bean chips, a dip I like is one serving of lowfat cottage cheese (for around 90 calories, 13g or so protein) mixed with a couple of servings of good salsa (should add about 10-20 calories, and around half to two-thirds serving of veggies). The combo makes a good small meal or big snack.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Homemade potato chips (crisps) are better then bagged and very low in calories when made in the microwave on parchment paper without any oil.

Just labor intensive.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Comparisons based on number of pieces make no sense to me. Should be comparisons by weight.

I'm going for something I like the taste of.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Papadums and asian prawn crackers sold for deep frying at home can be crisped up in the microwave. For papadum's it is about a minute at maximum wattage and prawn crackers about 30 seconds. They might be a bit flacid when you take them out but they turn brittle once they cool. A single papadum is about 35 kcal. Pictured here with a dipping sauce of no fat yoghurt with some mango chutney stirred in.

I'm a fan of papadums, too. The brand I like best is 20 calories per small-tortilla-sized round, has 2g protein each, and as you say, microwaves beautifully with no oil added.

Another thing that's allegedly for frying, but puffs nicely in the microwave, is pasta para duros, a sort of wagon-wheel-shaped pasta. Not all that nutritious, and calories add up if one has lots, but I found (when on reduced calories) that if I slightly dampened them (lime juice if I had some), then applied fine (popcorn) salt and a good spicy chili powder, a few was a nice, salty, spicy, crunchy snack.

There's always popcorn, and lots of ways to spice or increase nutrient density, keeping the pleasant snacky-ness. This is pretty good (though I don't think it tastes exactly like Doritos, but it does taste good):

http://naturalchow.com/2014/03/healthy-dorito-flavored-popcorn/
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    I’d rather have a serving of beef jerky when I crave salt. Chewy, not crispy.

Costco has a brand called Gold Peak that’s very tasty, lotsa protein, ingredients I can live with, and I can buy it cheaper than I can make it, and I’ve made a shedload of jerky in my time.

Having said that, I scarfed a bag of “popped” potato chips today. 120/serving for BBQ, 110 for plain, and you get a lot of chips for your serving size.

My problem is turning off the faucet when I reach “serving size”.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Good thins Corn Sear Salt Crackers - 25 crackers for 80 calories (20 grams - small crackers)

I like making cloud bread and putting whatever spices/salt that I might be wanting

Rice crackers - 'white cheddar' or the other varieties (mini or whole) low in calories too

Air popped corn with whatever seasons you might be liking
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    When I’m fancying a salty hit I’ll turn to pickled onions, gherkins, pickled cauliflower and sometimes a few olives and capers. A small ramekin with a mixture of these hits the spot for me for a lot fewer calories than even the lowest calorie ‘snack’ option. Watch the olives though! I could eat the entire jar if left unsupervised! 😂
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ITSU seaweed thins, especially the wasabi flavour. 25 calories in the pack, really hit the spot for salty and crispy when I have no calories left! Also drink something with them and they must swell a bit, so are actually randomly quite filling, which is a bonus! :)
  • FoxySprinkles
    FoxySprinkles Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Comparisons based on number of pieces make no sense to me. Should be comparisons by weight.

Better yet comparisons by bag, cause that's what id eat haha
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Good idea for a thread. :)

I see this is your first post and hope you'll continue posting.

• perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I like sunflower seeds roasted in their husks. That's a great salty snack and you can eat them for an hour or so and not actually consume that many seeds in total and hence keep the cals low.

Seaweed sheets are pretty good too.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    perryc05 wrote: »
    I like sunflower seeds roasted in their husks. That's a great salty snack and you can eat them for an hour or so and not actually consume that many seeds in total and hence keep the cals low.

Seaweed sheets are pretty good too.

And pumpkin seeds!

I also like Lay's Poppables (which surprises me), and a small amount is usually satisfying.
    • Kirby cucumbers with salt
    • Olives
    • Artichoke hearts
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Better yet comparisons by bag, cause that's what id eat haha

I'm not going to say I've never done that. :)
  • Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    They have those veggie straws in different flavors now! Sour cream and onion are sooo good!