Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I’ve lost about 50lbs since August last year using MFP. I track daily, watch my carbs per doctor advice, do cardio 2-3x a week for about 55 minutes, and do some light strength training 2-3x a week. Up until January, I was losing fairly consistently, but ever since, I’ve just been bouncing between 187-191. My goal is 150-160. I’ve taken a week of a “diet break.” I’ve played around with adjusting my calories- I had been doing an average of 1400-1500 calories daily, and am now doing about 1600-1700 most days. I’ve spoken to my doctor who said I need to eat more, hence the increase. I’ve been eating more since then, which has been about three weeks now.

I’m at a loss though. I’ve been bouncing for almost two months now, no matter what I do. What would you suggest?

8cjhska9hukb.jpeg

Replies

• Nicoles0305
    Nicoles0305 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @californiagirl1969 omg it’s so frustrating isn’t it?! I had seen 186 too, for a day in January, but not again since.

I’m pretty consistent in eating lots of salads and healthy foods. I’m thinking maybe next week I’ll do high protein lunches- meats, cheeses, etc. and see if it encourages any kind of downward movement.
  • MomLarisa
    MomLarisa Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    One thing I rarely hear mentioned is that the lower your weight, the fewer calories your body needs to maintain and the more efficient it gets in using those calories. This is one of the reasons people plateau. Try going through your set up again entering your current weight to see if you should still be at the same calorie consumption. I'm a 6 foot tall woman and my calorie goals for the day are only 1400 but my BMI is already at 21. So in the healthy range. I will never be able to eat 1800 or 2000 calories a day and maintain, I'd gain like crazy. This is whay so many fall off the wagon. They reduce calories, their body gets more efficient and then they either have to reduce more or they gain again. It's rough for sure. hang in there
  • Nicoles0305
    Options
    MomLarisa wrote: »
    One thing I rarely hear mentioned is that the lower your weight, the fewer calories your body needs to maintain and the more efficient it gets in using those calories. This is one of the reasons people plateau. Try going through your set up again entering your current weight to see if you should still be at the same calorie consumption. I'm a 6 foot tall woman and my calorie goals for the day are only 1400 but my BMI is already at 21. So in the healthy range. I will never be able to eat 1800 or 2000 calories a day and maintain, I'd gain like crazy. This is whay so many fall off the wagon. They reduce calories, their body gets more efficient and then they either have to reduce more or they gain again. It's rough for sure. hang in there

I’ve played with lowering too, but it didn’t help. And too long spent at <1400 really messes with my mental state. My doctor told me I’m likely under eating for my activity level. She told me I should actually probably be around 1800 calories to lose. I work out 3 times a week for 55 minutes, typically a ride on the Peloton. I know the common advice here is to set activity level as sedentary, then eat back a portion of exercise calories. I tried setting it to sedentary, and to get any sort of loss according to MFP’s calculations, it put me at no more than 1400 a day, and if I wanted to lose more than 1/2 lbs a week, it’s more like 1200.

I was 1300-1450 calories for a while before the holidays. I was still doing so at the beginning of January, up until I started just bouncing around. I upped my calories based on my doctor’s advice. But I am still a little unclear about how to enter my activity level into MFP. I do the 3 days a week of 55 minutes, but other than that, I’m not super active. I do personal shopping for work, which puts me out shopping for about 3-4 hours a morning 2-3 times a week. I’ve been doing about 10,000 steps a day. So what activity level is that? I currently have it set as lightly active.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    MomLarisa wrote: »

I’ve played with lowering too, but it didn’t help. And too long spent at <1400 really messes with my mental state. My doctor told me I’m likely under eating for my activity level. She told me I should actually probably be around 1800 calories to lose. I work out 3 times a week for 55 minutes, typically a ride on the Peloton. I know the common advice here is to set activity level as sedentary, then eat back a portion of exercise calories. I tried setting it to sedentary, and to get any sort of loss according to MFP’s calculations, it put me at no more than 1400 a day, and if I wanted to lose more than 1/2 lbs a week, it’s more like 1200.

I was 1300-1450 calories for a while before the holidays. I was still doing so at the beginning of January, up until I started just bouncing around. I upped my calories based on my doctor’s advice. But I am still a little unclear about how to enter my activity level into MFP. I do the 3 days a week of 55 minutes, but other than that, I’m not super active. I do personal shopping for work, which puts me out shopping for about 3-4 hours a morning 2-3 times a week. I’ve been doing about 10,000 steps a day. So what activity level is that? I currently have it set as lightly active.

To the first bolded: I'm not sure that's standard advice? MFP's instructions say to set your activity level based on your life before intentional exercise, like your job, home life, etc. Quite a few people here would recommend the same. That means a bricklayer's apprentice carrying hods of bricks all day is probably highly active (even if she watches TV in the evening); vs. a call center worker who's at a desk all day and lives in a studio apartment with few chores, who'd be sedentary (even if she trains for trains for triathlons in the evening, working out for multiple hours per day).

Then MFP's idea is that a person log their exercise (as accurately and carefully as manageable), and eat back all those calories. Since some people worry about exercise calories being over-estimated, it's fairly common advice here to start by eating back some consistent percentage of them until one accumulates enough personal results data at one calorie level to have a sane statistical basis for adjusting.

Not everyone does that, of course; people have different preferences. (I've always estimated exercise calories carefully, using the best method I could find for each exercise type, then eaten back all of them.)

The point is: You wouldn't consider your workouts when you set your activity level, if you plan to log and eat back exercise calories. Including workouts in activity level, plus logging them separately for caloris, is double counting exercise calories. (If a person wants to average in planned exercise, not log exercise separately, that's fine, but they should get their initial estimate from an outside TDEE calculator that's designed to work that way. I think this is one of the better ones on the web: https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/. It shows the results from several research-based estimating formulas, and has more activity levels (with better descriptions) than most.)

Just for full clarity: Setting activity level to any level at all (accurate or not), then synching a fitness tracker (including enabling negative adjustments in MFP), but not logging exercise manually in MFP, is not double-counting exercise. For a lot of people, that specific scenario is a good plan. In that scenario, setting activity lower than reality tends to result in large positive calorie adjustments, but setting activity higher than reality tends to result in negative calorie adjustments.

To the 2nd bolded:

I'm not very expert on steps-based daily life activity levels (I get laughably few steps that aren't intentional exercise). Also, it can vary a little individually from strict steps counts (like some jobs have "active but not walking lots" characteristics, maybe lifting and moving with their upper body but only a few steps). My understanding is that for most people, 10,000 non-exercise steps would merit the "active" setting. There are other people here who have better data on how non-exercise steps correlate with MFP activity level settings (as a generic estimate) than I do, though.

Regardless, I think the best advice is to run your own experiment:
    * Pick whether to use a TDEE calculator (so eat the same number of calories every day, since exercise is averaged in over the week), or use the MFP method (set activity level based on non-exercise life, log and eat back exercise or some percent of it).
    * Choose an achievable calorie goal that keeps energy level up, but that's expected to result in reasonable weight loss.
    * Stick with that routine for 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual periods as mentioned previously, if that applies).
    * Use arithmetic to figure out whether that calorie intake results in the expected weight loss, or not. If not, adjust based on the arithmetic.

All any of these so-called calculators (really estimators) are doing is spitting out the average calorie needs for people similar to you on a few superficial characteristics. Most people are close to average, so those estimates will be close for most people. A few people aren't so average, so the "calculator" estimate will be off by a noticeable bit, which can be high or low. A very rare few people are quite surprisingly far off from average, so the estimates are far off for them.

Your own data is a far better guide than any "calculator", once you collect that data carefully. The issue isn't whether calculators are accurate, so much as it's whether you're average or not very much so.

Based on 6+ years of logging, I'm one of the "rare far off from average" people, which became obvious within the first couple of months after I joined MFP. It's still true now. (No, it's not that I have to eat fewer calories than estimated. It's that I get to eat literally hundreds more than estimated for average women in my demographic. MFP's estimate is 25-30% low, on the order of 500 calories. I have some minor ideas about what could contribute to that, but I don't really know for sure why. It's a rare thing, but it can happen.)

I understand that you're thinking you're in the minority case where under-eating is causing you to lose more slowly than expected. That's possible, IMO. That scenario would make things a little more complicated, especially since you've been losing for a while. I feel like it's clearer when people are disciplined about following a regimen when they first start to lose, can figure out whether they're average (or above/below) in calorie needs, before the situation is muddied by possible adaptive changes from long or extreme dieting. But that's just my opinion. 😆

In one sense, weight management by calorie counting is all just a fun science fair experiment for grown-ups.
  • Nicoles0305
    Options
    Ok, so if I’m understanding the calculator right, I should be eating an average of 1667 calories daily to get a 1lb/week loss. It tells me BMR is 1559 and TDEE is 2417 based on my best estimate of activity level. If I want 2lb/week, that takes me all the way down to under 1200 daily.

Upon investigating my regime before, I’ve noticed a pattern- I lost best when I ate around 1450 a day, without eating much of my exercise calories back. BUT ALSO, I think I may have found the cause for my stall! My peloton syncs with MFP, and I noticed that one week, my rides were getting me a calorie burn of around 400, then the next week, same length of time and same intensity, the numbers are looking a whole lot different! I’m not sure what happened there. I can only guess it has to do with the HRM I had tried using that week before my calorie burn numbers started going up inexplicably. I mean, I had been riding 45 minutes, 14-16 mph, and burning 400ish calories. Now I do 55 minutes, at a 20mph pace and burn 1000+?! I mean, I know I’m pushing myself a little harder, but enough in 10 minutes and 4mph to more than double my calorie burn? Doesn’t seem right to me. I’m going to try to get that HRM to work right tonight and see what happens. Maybe that’s the culprit. Idk. If I can’t get it to function correctly, I’ll be getting a new one this weekend. I’m determined to get to the bottom of this.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Ok, so if I’m understanding the calculator right, I should be eating an average of 1667 calories daily to get a 1lb/week loss. It tells me BMR is 1559 and TDEE is 2417 based on my best estimate of activity level. If I want 2lb/week, that takes me all the way down to under 1200 daily.

Upon investigating my regime before, I’ve noticed a pattern- I lost best when I ate around 1450 a day, without eating much of my exercise calories back. BUT ALSO, I think I may have found the cause for my stall! My peloton syncs with MFP, and I noticed that one week, my rides were getting me a calorie burn of around 400, then the next week, same length of time and same intensity, the numbers are looking a whole lot different! I’m not sure what happened there. I can only guess it has to do with the HRM I had tried using that week before my calorie burn numbers started going up inexplicably. I mean, I had been riding 45 minutes, 14-16 mph, and burning 400ish calories. Now I do 55 minutes, at a 20mph pace and burn 1000+?! I mean, I know I’m pushing myself a little harder, but enough in 10 minutes and 4mph to more than double my calorie burn? Doesn’t seem right to me. I’m going to try to get that HRM to work right tonight and see what happens. Maybe that’s the culprit. Idk. If I can’t get it to function correctly, I’ll be getting a new one this weekend. I’m determined to get to the bottom of this.

There ya go: Science fair approach!

If you aren't well over 200 pounds, don't go for 2 pounds a week, would be my advice . . . particularly if you have athletic performance or body composition goals alongside. A goal of 0.5-1% (tops) of current weight, as weight loss per week is a decent idea, from a health-promotion standpoint . . . and it might be smart to go even slower within 10-25 pounds of goal weight, depending on some other details. Pound a week sounds pretty reasonable, still.

A thousand calories in less than an hour is . . . well, improbable, IMO. Not impossible. Incremental increases in intensity can sometimes yield disproportionate increases in calorie burn (measured in fairly accurate ways, such as a power meter - heart rate monitor is chancy, even). But that big a difference, 400 or so to 1000+? Ehhh, dunno.

To burn 1000 calories an hour on a Concept 2 rowing machine (which is well metered), someone my size would need to go at a pace that I can't achieve at all even for 2 minutes let alone an hour, and that would be approximately the same pace as the world record pace for lightweight women (which I am) in a prime age group, 19-29 (which I'm not).

Now, rowing is a very different sport from cycling, I'm just throwing it out there as a comparison because I'm more familiar with rowing than cycling . . . and cycling is a good calorie burner . . . but 1000 calories in an hour is a lot.

At about your current weight (assuming your weight graph above is pounds), based on a heart rate monitor (questionable source), I figured I was getting something in the high 300s to low 400s of calories in a 50-minute spin class working pretty hard, FWIW. (It was a thing I'd been doing for years at that weight, in a context of other CV exercise beyond just that, so I was capable of working fairly hard at that point, and did my best to make that happen.) You may be able to work harder than that, not saying otherwise, just offering comparative data. If your bike gives you a watts estimate, that might be useful for estimating calories, but I wouldn't necessarily trust a mph-based estimate.

I think you're doing some good thinking about this here . . . maybe some other stationary cyclist with good power metering can give some subjective feedback on the likelihood of that 1000 calories/hour idea.
  • Nicoles0305
    Options
    I googled watts to calorie burn calculators. Yeah… according to them, the Pelo is giving me some insane numbers. I couldn’t get my HRM to work right tonight, so I’m going to get a new one. Till then, I think I’ll manually adjust the calories for my workouts to the numbers the watts to calorie calculators are giving me.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I googled watts to calorie burn calculators. Yeah… according to them, the Pelo is giving me some insane numbers. I couldn’t get my HRM to work right tonight, so I’m going to get a new one. Till then, I think I’ll manually adjust the calories for my workouts to the numbers the watts to calorie calculators are giving me.

If you have an accurate watts number, that's probably a better estimate than a HRM will provide.