How do you feel about fast food?

Options
What are your thoughts on fast food? Here is a display I made about fast food.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    What type of class is this for?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

For her sake, it's hopefully one that doesn't grade on proper grammar...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

For her sake, it's hopefully one that doesn't grade on proper grammar...

Be nice. :p I was going more for I hope the teacher knows way less about dieting and nutrition than us mfpers do.

Actually, I just read it cuz I normally wouldn't miss grammar mistakes (where was it, btw, I still missed it) aaaaaaaaaand, OP, I really hope you're being graded on the layout and not the content.

And, if it's the content, I have A LOT to say about it. :)

(Good luck on it, btw.)
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I’m a chef and have been to too many food shows. The only place with lower food quality than fast food is subsidized school lunch.

How can anyone make a breaded chicken sandwich on a toasted roll with lettuce and mayo and it’s cheaper than an apple ? How good can it be?

The fact is that most big food manufacturers have special product lines for school food service that allows schools to maximize the margins on their subsidy and actually profit on school lunch programs. In essence the system produces food of such low quality that the only people that would eat it are kids that have no other choice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Most of it doesn't taste good, isn't satisfying, and is generally sub-par, for my tastes. It blows my mind when people sometimes describe the standard sorts of "fast food", the things most people think of when using that term, as "hyper palatable".

Different people have different tastes, though; and I'm sure they'd think my preferences were not tasty, either. 🤷‍♀️

IMO, your presentation would be better if you tried to define the very-vague term "fast food". There have been some comments about that on your other thread: Is a 6" Subway sub with lots of veggies and a lean protein "fast food"? It can have a good nutritional profile. Is pizza from anywhere and everywhere (even made totally from scratch at home) always "fast food", or only if I get it from a big chain pizza maker? If I get the pizza at a sit-down restaurant where they make everything from scratch just like I would at home, and it takes a while for it to be served, is it still "fast food"?

It's just not a very clear term. Honestly, a McD's regular/junior cheeseburger isn't the worst thing in the world from a nutritional profile standpoint, in a day that otherwise includes some nice veggies and such - and I say that as a long term vegetarian, myself, so I'd never eat one.

I feel like you've fallen into a common thing, over-generalizing what really matters when it comes to getting good nutrition: The big deal is getting the macro- and micro-nutrients we need, within proper calories, on average over a day or few. In that context, the AHA guidelines and calorie-needs statistics are meaningful, but the fast food connection isn't very nuanced, honestly.

We see people here who are all about avoiding "bad foods" and wanting to eat "superfoods" or "healthy foods", avoid "fast food", "white foods", etc. . . . all of that can be a distraction, a red herring, a tangent to an actual overall nutritious way of eating.

It's absolutely possible to "eat clean" using only "whole foods" (also vaguely-defined terms), and still be getting pretty terrible overall nutrition, like not enough protein, too few fats (or bad balance of types in terms of MUFA/PUFA/sat fat or Omega 3/6 balance), not be getting well-rounded micronutrients (like eating fully plant based but ignoring things like iron, B12, etc.).

On the flip side, it's possible to eat some so-called "fast food", depending on what the rest of the eating day looks like, possibly even eat some every day, and still get good overall nutrition at reasonable calories.

Frankly, if someone is materially overweight, one of the best moves that person can make health-wise is to reach a healthy weight. If you look around the web, you'll find people who've eaten only fast food (such as only food from McDonald's), foods purchased from a convenience store, lots of Twinkies, etc. as a sort of stunt, while losing weight, and ended up with much better health markers (like blood pressure, blood sugar, blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, etc.).

By the way:

People who sign up with MFP are supposed to be . . . I forget, 18+ years old, or maybe only 16+ . . . so I'm assuming you're at least that, and I'm being very honest in the way I would to someone of that age. If you're younger, this may not be the best place to research your project.

Wishing you well, regardless!
  • TiffanyMEscobar
    TiffanyMEscobar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The class is children health, safety, and nutrition.I know this project was more centered on adulta and families eating healthy. I think instead of doing fast food next time I will focus more on the foods that are served to children at school. Thank AnnPT77 for your comments which have helped me. You are right I should have defined what fast food is because that can be confusing. I feel like it is hard to get any good nutrition from fast food. You are right someone can stay at home and just it a bunch of twinkies be unhealthy, but I feel like when you cook at home you can eat more fruits and vegetables because I do not see that many fast food places offering fruits and vegetables. Thank you all!!
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on fast food? Here is a display I made about fast food.

It's gorgeous. Well done! I hope you got an A.