Replies

• bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Can you use it if you have an IUD?
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    It sounds interesting however I am an extremely heavy bleeder on day 2 & 3. so much so that i will go thru 5 or 6 or more overnight pads in a day & still manage to leak :(
    Any heavy bleeders out there use them?
    This is my problem; therefore, I can't even use a tampon...but never have. Just don't like how a tampon even feels. I'm going to have to google this anyways just because I'm curious now. I'ven ever heard of one before!
  • zendarah
    zendarah Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Can you use it if you have an IUD?

Yep.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    it says that its good for those heavy bleeders and just change it every so often the cut is way bigger than the pad
  • Leisa42
    Leisa42 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to google that one!
  • blueeyedangelar
    blueeyedangelar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it...........I am going to check into it.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    never heard of it. I dunno how i feel sticking a cup up there sounds painful.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I tried the Diva Cup and didn't ike it at all. I couldn't feel it, which was good. But, one night it leaked, ugh. And getting it out the first time I almost had a panic attack. It is WAY too hard to get out.

There are others that are shaped differently that may work much better. The Diva Cup is shaped like a diaphragm. Others are more like a little cup with a stem for removal. I'd possibly try those, but never again on the other. Freaked me out!
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love mine, I have found the key to it not leaking is a 1/4 twist to kind of seal it, and to get it out you have to hook your finger in there to break the seal. If you feel its not in right. There is a learning curve, I love mine, makes working out on your cycle doable.
  • AMKAG
    AMKAG Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used it a couple times, thought it was really good, but it made my cramps so much worse I stopped.
  • slimkitty
    Options
    It sounds interesting however I am an extremely heavy bleeder on day 2 & 3. so much so that i will go thru 5 or 6 or more overnight pads in a day & still manage to leak :(
    Any heavy bleeders out there use them?

I am a heavy bleeder and I used double protection (tampon and pad) just to get me through an hour before needing to change. The cup works better for me. It holds a lot more and I don't need to empty it until I get home from work. I do wear a slim pad just in case though.
  • hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Since we're on the topic of menstration ladies... does anyone else have a contraceptive implant? I've had one for three years and there is no ease up on the bleeding. It's making me feel constantly self conscious and is sending my sex life with my boyfriend down the pan.

I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago to have mine removed and to discuss different options. I've discovered there pretty much isn't anything else I can have. I used to have migraines with aura... black spots infront of your eyes before the pain set in and the doctor told me that most of the other options could cause me to have a stroke.

I've not had these kinds of headaches in 3 years but the doctor won't consider any of the other options for me. Anyone had any problems like this? Can anyone suggest anything I could try?
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have such heavy periods and I swear by mine. I've been using it a year and I'll never go back!

It's so much more reliable than tampons and it lasts longer. Plus, I never run out as it's always in my bag. No more getting caught unawares!

I also worry about tampons and toxic shock etc, so I prefer this.
  • gracemleone
    Options
    I've never heard of it before and just googled it and.. eeeewwwww lol, it's just too weird and gross for me
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ive had mine for two years and I love it. It took me about two periods before I figured out how to work it. Its a bit tricky in the beginning but once you get a hang of it almost like you forget your even bleeding. A few times Ive forgot it at home and have had to rely on tampoons and pads instead and that has been an nightmare, soooo disgusting.

The most noticeable thing about chaning to a cup is the smell. It still smells but not by far as bad as before. The smell from tampoons and pads is not the blood, its the mix from the blood and the chemicals used to bleach them. When using the cup its only the iron from the blood that actually smells, nothing else.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I tried the Diva Cup and didn't ike it at all. I couldn't feel it, which was good. But, one night it leaked, ugh. And getting it out the first time I almost had a panic attack. It is WAY too hard to get out.

There are others that are shaped differently that may work much better. The Diva Cup is shaped like a diaphragm. Others are more like a little cup with a stem for removal. I'd possibly try those, but never again on the other. Freaked me out!

I love the Diva Cup, but it is a cup with a stem - I've never seen one shaped like a diaphragm. There are two different sizes, so anyone who's thinking about, make sure you get the right size. It can take a while to learn how to properly insert it so it doesn't leak, and to remove it. But, on another site I was on someone posted a link to a youtube video where a women uses a clear tube to show how to properly insert, make sure it's in correctly so it doesn't leak, and remove it. After watching that, I never had any more problems. For many women, the cup also helps relieve cramping. It's definitely worth looking into.
  • Otrepsi
    Otrepsi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've used a Mooncup for about 6 years, and I will NEVER go back to tampons. The main reasons I starting using it was because I hated the waste and the idea of all that crap going to a landfill, and how tampons (no matter the brand) leave microscopic fibers up there that can potentially cause damage.

My favourite things:

No waste - I've had the same cup this whole time, and it's still perfect.

No leakage - There IS a learning curve at first, but unlike with a tampon, I can sense when it's getting full. Even if it does leak, it's only a tiny amount, unlike with a tampon, which basically wicks it out of you! I never even have to wear a pad anymore "just in case".

Can't feel it at all - Sometimes when I used tampons, I didn't put it in far enough, and you can't take it out immediately because it's all dry and nasty. It'd have to sit there for some time and be irritating until I could take it out. When the cup is placed properly, you'd never know it was there.

Emptied less often - On my heavy days, I empty it about every 6 hours. With tampons, I'd have to change it every 2-3. It really sucked if I guessed wrong as to when I needed to change it, because then it would be dry and difficult to remove.

I will agree that a cup is NOT for everyone! If you are squeamish about putting your fingers up in there, or having to deal with bodily fluids, you're going to have a more difficult time. Even if you don't have a problem, it does take a little bit to get used to. But I think the benefits far outweigh any "eww" factor.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I found the link, this seriously helped me with the issues I was first having when using my Divacup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLPBZz3uJEg
  • jan_andrea
    jan_andrea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've used mine for 12 years, on and off (I'd go at least 2 years after giving birth to each of my three kids w/no periods, so I've had a good run of no menstruation). Mine was kind of uncomfortable with the stem on (I have a Diva cup), but once I cut that off, it was much better. If you have trouble taking it out, either squat or put one leg up on the sink or toilet, and bear down a little; that usually lowers it enough for me to reach without the stem even if I put it in on the higher side. I have no complaints and can't imagine using a tampon again -- those seem really gross to me :)
  • lrf1997
    Options
    Try for a couple of cycles to see how they work for you. I just recently began using the Instead softcup (from Walmart), and I find it works perfectly for me on light days (no leakage :-), but on heavy days it I need some backup (i.e., thin pads). Once you get the hang of inserting, removing and emptying, it's not that different than using tampons. You can wear them longer, you're not exposing your body to potentially harmful chemicals used in treated tampon fibers, and it's less waste! Plus, you can wear them during sex (added bonus!).