Cellulite

Options
Does it exist? I mean, obviously it exists in the sense that some people have wrinkly thighs, but is it any different to any other fat? I've never had it even when I was quite podgy, but I sometimes see quite thin people with orange peel thighs. Is it just about body fat %? Or is it a different thing entirely?

Replies

• AbbysMonkeyMama
    Options
    "Although its name may make it sound like a medical condition, cellulite is nothing more than normal fat beneath the skin. The fat appears bumpy because it pushes against the connective tissue beneath the skin, causing the skin above it to pucker." This is from the WebMD information page, link below.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/cellulite-causes-and-treatments
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Does it exist? I mean, obviously it exists in the sense that some people have wrinkly thighs, but is it any different to any other fat? I've never had it even when I was quite podgy, but I sometimes see quite thin people with orange peel thighs. Is it just about body fat %? Or is it a different thing entirely?

There are lots of different theories but one I think is most likely (I did biology at uni) is that some people get pockets of fat that push upwards inbetween the connective tissue, giving a bumpy appearance. I don't think it is a different type of fat but just that for some people the connective tissue is a little shorter. Obviously, the fatter you get, the more the fat under the surface bulges upwards, so weight loss will help to some extent. But if the underlying biology gives you a predisposition to it (which is more likely in women) then you may be stuck with it.

I know that while I had some cellulite when I was 9st 7lbs at 21, it was no where near as bad as it is now. One of the many reasons for me to lose weight!

I also used to be a beauty editor for a newspaper and have tried every potion and lotion and (biology tells us this anyway) - nothing you rub in will have any effect.
  • livnlite
    Options
    Not all people who have fat have cellulite. People who have it, are not created equal. Some have it more evident than others, too.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this, too. I've seen thin people with cellulite and I've seen heavier people without. I didn't know why. Thanks for the info!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    In a Jillian Michaels interview I read recently, she claims she has cellulite on her buttocks no matter how fit and thin she is.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    In a Jillian Michaels interview I read recently, she claims she has cellulite on her buttocks no matter how fit and thin she is.

There is a God after all!
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I never had cellulite until I got fat. Now I'm worried it won't go away after I lose weight. :(