Overnight 14 oz weight gain! But why??

Options
standout00
standout00 Posts: 123 Member
edited March 2022 in Chit-Chat
Overnight I had a 14 oz weight gain!

On 06/03/22 I only did 1,919 cal. That's only 119 cal over 1,800 cal per day... Yesterday I also had 7.2 L of water. I also did some interval training with an element of strength training for 27 mins which burned me 136 cal.

P.S.: I couldn't go to the gym 'cause it was raining!
Was it not training enough, eating too much of the wrong stuff and water weight or could there possibly be other factors contributing to the weight gain?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Water---patience. Use a trending App.
  • J_doe
    J_doe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Water weight… you’re not drinking enough water or are retaining water due to high salt intake or you have been working out and there’s inflammation in your muscles? Also makes you retain water.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add there are lots of advice on the general fitness and nutrition forums dealing with these types of questions as well. Most common phrase you'll hear is 'weight loss isn't linear. :) It's so true.

Be patient and look at your long term weight loss, not day by day. Good luck!!
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all above. A reverse example: I have gone to bed at 226 pounds and when I weigh myself first thing in the morning I will be 223 pounds. That's the water lost through sweat, urination and my body metabolizing all the food from the day before. I have also been up 3 pounds! from the day before due to high salt/low water intake. Look at weeks of trends, not day to day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    standout00 wrote: »
    Overnight I had a 14 oz weight gain!

On 06/03/22 I only did 1,919 cal. That's only 119 cal over 1,800 cal per day... Yesterday I also had 7.2 L of water. I also did some interval training with an element of strength training for 27 mins which burned me 136 cal.

P.S.: I couldn't go to the gym 'cause it was raining!
    Was it not training enough, eating too much of the wrong stuff and water weight or could there possibly be other factors contributing to the weight gain?

Because bodyweight isn't static and weight loss (or gain) isn't linear. The adult human body is comprised of roughly 60% water on average, but that isn't a static figure...it fluctuates for a myriad of reasons ranging from just 'cuz that's how the body works to more or less salt in the diet...higher intensity exercise (results in inflammation)...hormonal fluctuations...more or less carbs in the diet...and back to just 'cuz it's completely normal for the human body to have variations in that composition. You also always have varying degrees of inherent waste in your system...that waste has mass and thus weight. Your scale is weighing more than just fat.

It is pretty normal for me to easily be up or down a couple of pounds day to day...I've been up as much as 8 Lbs in a 24 hour period after flying as flying typically causes a lot of water retention. I typically weigh in 3x per week on Wed, Thurs, and Fri and enter those figures into a trend app. For my own personal use, I take the average of those three and that's my "true" weight that week. I put "true" in quotes, because there's actually no such thing as a "true" weight...it isn't static. Weight management, whether that is to lose, maintain, or gain, is all about trends over time. Individual data points are just noise...you have to drown out the noise and look at the trend over time. Weight loss looks like this...for everyone...

Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature-1024x538.png

The blue is the noise of individual data points...they go up and down and all around...but over time, a trend develops...the red line...it's the important one.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Your overnight weight means nothing. I never take weight too seriously except when looking at trends over at least 6 weeks.

I personally know from experience that I have at least a 2 week lag between how I'm eating and what the scale does.

If you let the normal fluctuations of the scale rattle you, you are liable to over correct and mess up your progress.