Hey all! Need some guidance for an old MFP person

raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
So I have been with MFP a long time ago. Was dedicated and all then fell off the wagon.

Now I have decided to get back into the swing of things but with a different mindset. Before, my goal was to lose weight which it still kind of is. However this time, I’m focusing more strength training.

Now with strength training, I know the eating habits are alittle different.

So right now the goal is to get stronger. So any tips on where to go with the calorie intake and stuff would be greatly appreciated.

I am 5’8 210. Drinking water is easy as I drink a gallon a day(due to kidney stone-oxalate incident)

Much appreciated in advance.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    It sounds like you might want to do what's called "recomposition," or "recomping," where your goal is to stay around the same weight but replace fat lost with muscle gained. I know there are some threads around here with more information about that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    The recomposition thread is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

You might also get some useful nutritional advice reading posts, or posting questions about nutrition, in the Gaining Weight and Body Building part of the MFP Community:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/goal-gaining-weight

Yes, I understand that you're not trying to gain weight. But that area is where a lot of serious strength-trainers read and post, whether trying to gain, lose or maintain weight.

Best wishes!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    It sounds like you might want to do what's called "recomposition," or "recomping," where your goal is to stay around the same weight but replace fat lost with muscle gained. I know there are some threads around here with more information about that.

I really don't think eating at maintenance is appropriate for someone his height and weight, there's a significant amount of weight to be lost to get to a healthy level.

What goal weight do you have in mind OP?

I would suggest:
    • Calorie deficit - but not an excessive one which would compromise your training and recovery.
    • High protein.
    • Consistent and high quality training.
    • Patience.
  • raven56706
    sijomial wrote: »

I really don't think eating at maintenance is appropriate for someone his height and weight, there's a significant amount of weight to be lost to get to a healthy level.

I would suggest:
    • Calorie deficit - but not an excessive one which would compromise your training and recovery.
    • High protein.
    • Patience.

the goal weight would be 190. it was always going to be 180 but last time i did that, i looked skinny fat. Figure now, i just go full on strength training.
  • sijomial
    raven56706 wrote: »

I would suggest:
    • High protein.
    • Patience.

the goal weight would be 190. it was always going to be 180 but last time i did that, i looked skinny fat. Figure now, i just go full on strength training.

Skinny fat means normal weight and over-fat.
    At 180 you were far from a normal weight.

Under-muscled and overweight is different to skinny fat and has a different solution.
  • raven56706

I would suggest:
    • High protein.
    • Patience.

Under-muscled and overweight is different to skinny fat and has a different solution.

Ok def. So my goal is to minimize as much fat as possible.

From my findings and research, strength training is the way to go. And while I def want to go the lowest possible, I just want to start off with a smaller number to not psych myself out. If that makes any sense.

But please, I am open to any suggestions you have.

Also, for working out, I’m following the FitBod app and selected strength training instead of muscle tone and burn fat.
  • sijomial

I would suggest:
    • High protein.
    • Patience.

From my findings and research, strength training is the way to go. And while I def want to go the lowest possible, I just want to start off with a smaller number to not psych myself out. If that makes any sense.

Also, for working out, I’m following the FitBod app and selected strength training instead of muscle tone and burn fat.

Dieting in stages or having intermediate goals makes perfect sense. Pausing / reassessing as you go works.

My eyebrows shot up at the mention of "muscle tone and burn fat" TBH which casts doubt on the quality of the training plan. No experience of that app but that kind of terminology is a bit of a red flag, more often used in the diet industry rather than the fitness/strength industry.
    (It could of course be just them feeling that have to use those phrases as potential customers expect them.....)

There's lists of well regarded programs pinned to top of both Fitness and also Bodybuilding forums. Have you considered hypertrophy programs instead of strength focussed programs BTW?
  • raven56706

I would suggest:
    • High protein.
    • Patience.

Dieting in stages or having intermediate goals makes perfect sense. Pausing / reassessing as you go works.

My eyebrows shot up at the mention of "muscle tone and burn fat" TBH which casts doubt on the quality of the training plan. No experience of that app but that kind of terminology is a bit of a red flag, more often used in the diet industry rather than the fitness/strength industry.
    (It could of course be just them feeling that have to use those phrases as potential customers expect them.....)

There's lists of well regarded programs pinned to top of both Fitness and also Bodybuilding forums. Have you considered hypertrophy programs instead of strength focussed programs BTW?

Ah yes. So FitBod provides workouts for you depending on your goals. I like it because I have some neck injuries that don’t allow me to do certain things. With this, I can switch a set for another movement instead. Here is a screenshot of the selections. , 9l3utts58gnj.jpeg

• sijomial
    They are certainly ambitious in their scope!

Does look like the terminology that made me twitch is just pandering to the "toning" and "don't want to get bulky" demographic. ;)