have anyone used the menstrual cup

Options

Replies

• shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I do and absolutely love it! I have used one for about 4 years now and will NEVER go back!

There is a learning curve on getting it put in properly. There are different ways to fold it - some work better than others for different people. Once you have it in place, you should be able to twist it easily. If you can't twist it or you can feel it, you don't have it in properly. I have only ever leaked once using the cup and it was my first cycle and was only because I didn't get it put in properly (it didn't open).

I use the Diva Cup and it is cup shaped and it does have a stem for removal. Yes, you can use it if you have an IUD.

You can where the cup 24 hours per day and can do any activity. I find myself doing more because I am more confident that I am protected - I can't imagine going hiking if I needed to change a pad or tampon in the middle of the woods...

I never feel the cup unless it is time to change it or if I have a full bladder. As far as using them for heavier flow - the cup holds about 1/2 an ounce of liquid - a typical cycle will produce between 10 to 80 mL (1/3 ounce to 2-3/4 ounces). (One website noted if your cycle is heavier than 80 mL, you should be concerned about becoming anemic). I am lucky and only have a 3 day cycle. I empty the cup approximately 6 times (once every 12ish hours - once in the morning and once in the evening) each month, which is soooo much better than that having to change a tampon every 1 to 3 hours.

One note of caution - do NOT wash the cup in antibacterial soap. That is just asking for a yeast infection because it kills all of the bacteria inside of you - the good and the bad.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I bought some and threw them away. I just couldn't put it in!!! It didn't fit! It seemed soooo huge!!! I wish I could use it, though, the concept is great!
  • shydaisi
    Options
    Try for a couple of cycles to see how they work for you. I just recently began using the Instead softcup (from Walmart), and I find it works perfectly for me on light days (no leakage :-), but on heavy days it I need some backup (i.e., thin pads). Once you get the hang of inserting, removing and emptying, it's not that different than using tampons. You can wear them longer, you're not exposing your body to potentially harmful chemicals used in treated tampon fibers, and it's less waste! Plus, you can wear them during sex (added bonus!).

You can wear Instead softcup during sex, but not a reusable menstrual cup (at least not the Diva, but I think this goes for others as well).
  • shydaisi
    Options
    Also, if you are squeamish about the blood, try emptying the cup while you are in the shower.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Try for a couple of cycles to see how they work for you. I just recently began using the Instead softcup (from Walmart), and I find it works perfectly for me on light days (no leakage :-), but on heavy days it I need some backup (i.e., thin pads). Once you get the hang of inserting, removing and emptying, it's not that different than using tampons. You can wear them longer, you're not exposing your body to potentially harmful chemicals used in treated tampon fibers, and it's less waste! Plus, you can wear them during sex (added bonus!).

I think the Instead is different from the cups - same basic concept, but still different. For instance, the cups definitely cannot be worn during sex, simply because of where they sit. Instead is kind of like a diaphragm, right? I'm not sure, have only seen it once. I don't want to get too graphic here, so I'll just say the cup is not inserted that high up.
  • tawnabunnygirl
    Options
    I have to agree with Glorbaby. It thought it was pretty gross and uncofortable both to wear and change. I went back to tampons. Maybe, I was doing something wrong. I followed the instructions on the packageing, but i found it a bit to complicated.
  • lrf1997
    Options
    Just responding to prev posters, the Instead softcup is designed more like a diaphragm and does sit higher inside, so the removal process can be a bit more " involved."

I've not tried a Diva or Mooncup, but I'm wanting to try one to see the diff. I'm now 3 cycles into this "cup", so still learning :-)
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I use a little of everything, including one of these. I thought it was Diva Cup, but it has the stem and different shape. I bought it quite a while ago though so it might be another brand.

It IS gross and icky...but I find periods gross and icky in general. I do as much of the cleaning/reinsertion in the shower as well. Unlike pads or tampons, this has never leaked.
  • jppizana
    jppizana Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This sounds extremely interesting yet I can't help but say . ."EWWW!" I will have to talk to my doctor next time I see her about this. It sounds like a good replacement especially for those who are constantly scared of leaking through at work (me!) but after being scared to death about TSS as a tween, I can't imaging leaving something up there for 12 HOURS!!
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Try it. You will love it. The protection is amazing. It is so comfortable. You can sleep in it. Just be careful removing it. It can be messy.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I just heard of it a bit ago and looked into it...but there were no stores around here that sold them....I am a heavy bleeder too so had my doubts that it could control it....I may have to look into it again..
  • TooFatToFit
    Options
    I ordered mine online.
  • bsolada
    bsolada Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My question is concerning if you have to remove the cup in a public restroom. Would I have to rinse it out in the sink? That's the only option I can think of which would be very embarrassing to do in front of other people in a bathroom. And it would definitely gross out others to see someone else's menstrual blood. What do others do if they can't empty it at home and are out and about?
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I have used one for several years. Yes at first I was like "gross - yuck" and now it isn't a big deal. I am a heavy bleeder and I like that I can put this in and not worry about it. It does have a learning curve, so use a pad at first as back up. I find it impossible to empty it in a public restroom since I wash it before re-inserting but some people carry wet wipes to do that with. I love that on lighter days I can stick it in when I get ready in the morning and not worry until night. I also am not buying tampons or pads every month so I have saved tons of money using it, plus not filling a landfill or sewer with tampons and pads! :happy:
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Love my Diva!!! NEVER go back!!
    Trying to convert the younger women in my life to menst. cups.
    They are not as difficult to use once you learn how.
    Mooncup has a facebook page with lots of links and support

I initially bought one to communicate to my doctor the volume of my unusual periods (which turned out to be abnormal) was truly a blessing! =)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My question is concerning if you have to remove the cup in a public restroom. Would I have to rinse it out in the sink? That's the only option I can think of which would be very embarrassing to do in front of other people in a bathroom. And it would definitely gross out others to see someone else's menstrual blood. What do others do if they can't empty it at home and are out and about?

Visit a place like Divacup's website or Lunapads. There are FAQ pages that address questions like this.
  • TooFatToFit
    Options

Because of the length of time you can go between 'changes', I've never had this be an issue. It's never been difficult to time it so that I'm in a private bathroom to do that. I would NOT like it if someone did that in a public restroom I was in.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it :noway:
  • alapoint89
    Options
    ok thank you ladies im going to try to try the moon cup
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    yep I`ve used the diva cup size 2 since 2005 after I had my first child and I will NEVER go back to pads again the cup is so easy and has saved tons of money over the years now. It has alittle learning curve the first two or three cycles but after that its easier to use than even a tampon :) best female product ever in my book