Is too much protein bad for you?

Options
Hi all, just got the premium version of MFT. Just wanted to check -- I am under my fat and carb target for the day but over my protein target by 39g. Is that a bad thing, to be over your protein target? If so, please could you explain why?
Tagged:

Replies

• ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What she said.

@AnnPT77 ….you’re tops
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The trick I use overdoing a single day (usually protein or a social sweet treat) is to diarize it next day, to start it off with a compensating deficit instead of forgetting about it. I agree nutrition can reasonably balance out over several days, and like the one-week review Nutrition button (Android app) - others may have medical or motivational reasons to be more fastidious about it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Ann said, but also -- assuming you don't have a kidney problem and a medically prescribed diet -- the MFP protein goal operates as a minimum rather than a max. No reason at all to be bothered by going over somewhat. I might be concerned about excessive protein if it meant you were prioritizing protein over other foods that are also important, and thus not getting enough other stuff, but that would be rare and generally you would be way, way over, and low on things like fiber and fat and micronutrients, not just a little over and otherwise good.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,259 Member
    Options
    Just as a word of support, of the "I do as I say" type: Yesterday, I was 41g over my 100g personal protein minimum (I'm not big) - so over by 41%. Still I was within calorie goal, and ticked my other nutritional-goal boxes.

I'm cheering about that, personally. I might even brag about it on some relevant thread. Oh, wait . . . 😆🤣