What happen when you stop fasting/IF?

Options
Hi, I need some advice.

My weight loss has stalled for almost a month now. I am extremely depressed and mad at me. Every second I am thinking of giving up, but I cannot. I don't want to be at this weight.

I made another post where I said that I yo-yoed most of my adult life, and this is why I now have to almost starve myself if I want to gain weight.
I used to lose by eating 1200 cals/day, or even a little more, but these days are gone now.

I am 50 years-old, 5'3". I maintain at 1200-1500 cal/day, and gain weight if I eat over 1500. So you can guess how many calories I am eating right now as I try to lose weight

I walk at least one hour per day, I workout (moderately) 30 minutes a day, like I have done in the past 10 years, so there is no muscle gain.
Yes, I track and weight my food very diligently. I have lost weight with this method before, and knows how it works.

I gained 25 lbs during the pandemic. No excuse: I ate like a pig, and moved a little less because I started working at home. I am down 11lbs from 150lbs when I started in last December.

But the loss has been stalled for a month, and it even goes up. I cried again this morning, seeing the number higher than yesterday. I am far from my goal (130 minimum). My weight of the past 10 years has been around 122-125, sometimes reaching 130 for a few weeks, so it's not like 140 is a "set point".

I went through several periods, so it's not the problem. And even if I had water retention (due to periods or else), after a month, the fat loss would nonetheless happen and show on the scale. Also, frankly, I want to lose weight and be smaller, so I don't care what my weight is made of - water or fat.

I need the weight to go down. Every minute I am obsessing about giving up, but I can't. I know my life will be worst if I give up, I don't even want to think about it.

I cannot just "give it time" and wait two or three months for that the magical «woosh» some people talk about. Why?
Because I won't be able to make it. As I said, my calorie intake is low. It is very difficult to be hungry most of the time and to spend so much time around food, exercice and dieting, and being isolated (because 95% of human interactions with people I know revolve around stupid food and drinks). It is very hard, but seeing result is what keeps me going. It is the only positive thing in my life right now, the thing I hang on to when I am hungry and tired.

The problem is that that obvious solution - eating less calories than I do now - is not sustainable. I know by experience that I would be able to hold it for a maximum of one week, then crash.

So I was thinking of trying intermittent fasting. Something like 20/4 or maybe fasting entire day(s) until the weight goes down. And this is where I need your advice: what happens when you break the fast and go back to your "regular" diet?

I read a lot of things on fasting/IF, I know it's not something you improvise. But I would like to hear from those of you who have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with IF/fasting. What would happen when you stop IF and go back to eating between 9am and 18pm? Is there a sudden jump?

TIA

Replies

• IsabelleBabel
    IsabelleBabel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »

You talk about "giving up" but what does that even mean?

It means start eating at maintenance (ie 1200 to 1500 cals/day), and keep the same weight.
  • IsabelleBabel
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nothing would happen. IF is just a food timing thing...there is no magic to it...

I know. I wanted to know what was the experience of those who tried IF, stopped, and went back to eating at any time of the day.
    Did they notice a weight increase, as if the body reacted to the change?

Thank you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Only one other thing that I might add...have you seen a Dr. to have blood work done to determine if you have any kind of metabolic disorder like PCOS or thyroid issues or diabetes, etc? This kind of stuff can mess with your metabolism far more than "breaking" one's metabolism with yo-yo dieting. These kinds of conditions can really jack with a person's hormones and appropriate medication can help a lot. I would wager that being overly stressed about this is not helping in the least and your cortisol levels are probably through the roof.

"Broken" metabolisms from dieting generally recover when calories go back to normal...exceptions are typically for very large and rapid past weight loss (think Biggest Loser kind of stuff). On average, a female of your age (and I input "slightly active") has a BMR of right around 1200 calories (the calories you burn merely existing) and a TDEE (maintenance) of around 1700 calories. This would indicate a strict and consistent diet of 1200 calories should result in about 1 Lb per week loss...this would assume logging is as accurate as humanly possible. I mention this because sometimes people do just fall outside of the averages...but even then you should be losing on a consistent 1200 calories...but often, people who fall outside of averages have something else going on metabolically/hormonally that might be able to be corrected.

Your estimate of 1500 calories for maintenance isn't that far off from what the SailRabbit calculator I used of 1700, so you may very well be somewhere in there in general. So another consideration would be to increase your TDEE with more activity and/or exercise. Walking for example, is great for one's health...but it's not a substantial expenditure of energy and has only a relatively small impact on your TDEE...you may want to consider adding in some more moderate cardiovascular exercise in addition to the light cardiovascular walking you're doing to increase your TDEE...and/or increase your overall activity in general.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options

It means start eating at maintenance (ie 1200 to 1500 cals/day), and keep the same weight.

You don't know that that would keep you at the same weight though.

If 1200-1500 calories is sustainable for you, then try that and see what happens. If you research IF in the meantime and want to take it on as a lifestyle, then do that.

No matter what, you're going to have to play along with what your body wants to do, and it will require patience.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nothing would happen. IF is just a food timing thing...there is no magic to it...

I know. I wanted to know what was the experience of those who tried IF, stopped, and went back to eating at any time of the day.
    Did they notice a weight increase, as if the body reacted to the change?

Thank you.

When I eat at any time of the day - I usually over eat.
    I've had diet/ IF breaks in the last 3 months and have plateaued.
    I'm on my last 20lbs and am over eating and giving myself too many 'breaks'
    What IF does for me is that it draws a line under my last meal and keeps my calorie intake down.
    It also helps with cravings.
    Constant eating doesn't work for me - I feel much better having 2 big meals a day in an 8hr window.
    I play around with it , but 16/ 8 is what I try and practice 5 days week.
    I feel more in control when I practice IF and its helped me lose 54lbs.

• IsabelleBabel
    Options

If 1200-1500 calories is sustainable for you, then try that and see what happens. If you research IF in the meantime and want to take it on as a lifestyle, then do that.

No matter what, you're going to have to play along with what your body wants to do, and it will require patience.

I already know that I maintain at 1200 - 1500.
    Above 1500, I gain.
    (Thanks to years of dieting).

Anyway

I am now very careful and do not want to "play around" too much. This is why I am trying to learn as much as I can about IF before trying it out, because I don't want to make things even worst.
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Constant eating doesn't work for me - I feel much better having 2 big meals a day in an 8hr window.
    I play around with it , but 16/ 8 is what I try and practice 5 days week.
    I feel more in control when I practice IF and its helped me lose 54lbs.

I like this comment, constant eating doesn't work for me either (I know it works for some). 7 weeks of OMAD for me and this is so easy (for me). This works and is easy to stay on but I've always gone long periods of time without eating. You can give 16/8 a shot and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, try something else. You don't need to jump into OMAD or skipping days of eating, first thing. IF is not for everyone.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

I already know that I maintain at 1200 - 1500.
    Above 1500, I gain.
    (Thanks to years of dieting).

Anyway

I am now very careful and do not want to "play around" too much. This is why I am trying to learn as much as I can about IF before trying it out, because I don't want to make things even worst.
    How long at a time have you stuck to an accurately-tracked 1500 calories, and seen your weight hold steady, out of curiosity?

Shifting gears: One thing stopping IF could do is change the timing of eating and elimination (breathing and sweating as well as urination and defecation), compared to your weigh-in time of day. There's the potential for that to affect scale weight patterns (not necessarily via body fat changes).

For example, though I don't IF, I know from long daily weighing experience that if I eat a big meal unusually close to bedtime, my next morning first-thing weigh in will be a little heavier than usual, and also the reverse, i.e., if I eat very early in the evening, but bedtime/weigh-in next day are at usual times, I'll weigh less at that weigh in. Weight fluctuates.

In my case, though I'm not very big (mid 120s pounds), my scale weight changes by at least 2-3 and sometimes 5-6 pounds over the course of a day (in same clothing), if I weigh in lots of times just for the fun experiment.

There are some patterns, in a regular life. If my daily weigh-in were at a time of day when I tend to weigh a bit more, I'd think my "real" weight was a little higher; if weighing in at what's usually a low point, I'd think it was a little lower. My body fat level is the same in either case; what differs is water and food typically in my body temporarily at that time of day.

The point is: If you OMAD, and eat from (say) 4PM-7PM, and weigh in in the morning at 8AM; then shift to eating 3 meals at 9, 12, and 8PM (adding up to the same calories), still weighing in at 8AM, your typical bodyweight at 8AM may change, without bodyfat changing at all. Higher? Lower? Dunno. Depends on your body's patterns.
  • jusnjas
    jusnjas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 50 years old as well about 5'4/prob 5' 3/4 lol. I just posted a picture on my profile I found from 9/16 I was 153.4..that was 24.6 pounds ago. Yep! life and covid weight caught up to me and I am disgusted. I can't lose as quick as I use too! I've done IF and skip breakfast. Nothing has really helped except exercise/daily document my food here on MFP. When I stopped that accountability, guess what! I started gaining! I think you're at a very good weight! When I was in the low 150's, in my mind.. I thought I looked overweight like I am today!! That's because the devil is a liar! LOL I definitely need to do better about food choices and stop too many carbs and sweets. I need to drink more water too!! I need more encouragement too! We're in this together!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options

If you are within healthy BMI range ( according to post upthread) and keep that weight, would that be a bad thing?

Maybe along with unrealistic rate of loss expectation, you also have unrealistic expectations of the right weight for you?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to open your food diary, to see if some of the experienced members here might spot something that could be causing you trouble or give you some individual pointers?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    So you're both h(angry) as *kittens* and stressing yourself crazy. And you're breaking from the white-knuckling because, logically, when you're putting so much stress you can only do it as long as the visible rewards are there.

So, again, as somebody asked and you've sort of answered... what's the terminal thing that will happen if you eat at what you perceive to be your maintenance? You will, presumably maintain, and presumably you won't be h(angry) as *kittens*.

There is a concept called diet break. It is not a terrible concept, especially for people who are not obese and have been putting their body under some stress.

The whole narrative still gives me the feel that you're pushing for visible daily scale loss. And for a person at normal weight this can only be accomplished by substantially large deficits. Probably deficits that are much larger than the body can reliably and consistently tolerate in most cases.

My best/only/sincere advice is that you must find in you the strength to deal with your weight in a consistent weight management basis instead of a diet/not diet dichotomy.

I really liked @Xellercin 's post above. No comment on the IF portion as I tend to see IF as a secondary long term strategy, not a primary one. Should it suit your lifestyle and inclination... why not use it as a tool. But I am not sure it will magically transform your no immediately visible losses into consistent losses.
  • IsabelleBabel
    Options
    Would you be willing to open your food diary, to see if some of the experienced members here might spot something that could be causing you trouble or give you some individual pointers?

I certainly can, but if someone posts that goddam chart, I'll scream, I am not in a mood to be asked if I know how a kitchen scale works or to be told that I don't eat enough (which always happen whenever someone eats below 1200), or to be told that I should eat 100% clean. My health is very good, I have regular check up at my doctors, so thank you everyone in advance.
    Also I know by experience that changing the way you eat does not create weight loss. Some people say that when they change what they eat, they lose weight. I am 50 years old and never experienced such a thing.

Also, I overestimate many things, ex the milk. Usually it is closer to 1/4 cup, but I keep it at 1/2 everyday.

One last thing, I only log some of my exercise, at some point I was using a fitbit, et , so just ignore the exercise data.