Need help with body recomposition plzz

Options
Hi i just joined fitness pal it told me i need 1800 cal a day!? Doesn't make sence.
Am 5ft8 75kg(165lbs) am trying to do body recomposition. Keeping about the same weight while gaining muscles.

I thought i was supposed to do 165X15
= 2475lbs
So i need 2475lbs a day if i am working out i guess? Please help .

I am so confused

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That x15 multiplier is a useless and primitive way to estimate calorie needs - doesn't take people's highly variable activity and exercise goals into account.
    For example I'm retired, 5'9 and 168lbs, and eat well over 3,000 cals to maintain (often much more).

If you did your goal set up and selected "maintain current weight" then MyFitnessPal will give you a calorie goal for a day with no exercise. When you exercise you estimate the calorie burn and get to eat more.
    The activity setting is only for your daily non-exercise movement including but not limited to your job.

For recomp there is a huge thread in the Maintaining Weight forum which is worth looking up.
    Most recent page has some really informative videos.

• CryInGym
    CryInGym Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi i tried to look for that i could not find it. Thx for trying to help me. I also tried to join this thing https://physiqonomics.com/ that i found in a discussion regarding body recomposition.

Seems like it was a scam and now my credit card is in there and i dont have access to an account.. Might as well just find me a personal trainer with diet plan.. Thought id get answers on this app. Good thing it had a trial lol.

But really appreciate you answering and trying to help me!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to page 1 of the Recomp thread - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Beware!
    Personal Trainers are people you go to for training advice and may know next to nothing about diet.

Also there really is no reason to have a specific diet plan when training to recomp. Just a regular healthy diet, calories around maintenance calories and (as is normal for people training.....) a higher than usual protein allowance is somewhat helpful.

There really is no mystery to recomp - for generations it was just called "getting in shape". The absolutely normal response to effective training. Gyms are full of people recomping who have never heard of the term!
    The driving force for muscle growth is the quality of your training and that's what to focus on, diet is just a supporting role.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,486 Member
    Options
    CryInGym wrote: »
    Hi i tried to look for that i could not find it. Thx for trying to help me. I also tried to join this thing https://physiqonomics.com/ that i found in a discussion regarding body recomposition.

Seems like it was a scam and now my credit card is in there and i dont have access to an account.. Might as well just find me a personal trainer with diet plan.. Thought id get answers on this app. Good thing it had a trial lol.

But really appreciate you answering and trying to help me!

@CryInGym, the recomposition thread is here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

It's in the "Most Helpful Posts" section of the "Goal: Maintaining Weight" part of the Community, because recomp is a thing usually done while maintaining weight, or close to that (small deficit/small surplus).

Read the first few posts, then skip to near the end and watch the video on page 125.

I agree with sijomial about how to estimate the calories: Your MFP goal number is to maintain weight, assuming you set up per instructions (using non-exercise activity level for that setting). You're supposed to log and add exercise on top of that, eat those calories, too. Don't pick "sedentary" if your daily life activity is more than roughly 3500-5000 steps (or equivalent movement) daily.

If you follow the MFP method, adding exercise calories when you exercise, that will give you a different calorie level day to day, unless you exercise the same amount daily.

If you'd rather have a single calorie goal that's the same every day, use a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculator to estimate - that will average in your planned exercise across the week, give you the same goal daily. Then, put that into MFP manually as your goal, rather than letting MFP do the estimate.

MFP and Sailrabbit are using sensible, research-based methods to estimate your calorie needs, taking into account the personal characteristics you enter. Basically, they're telling you the average number of calories needed by people similar to you. Most people are close to average. A few people are a bit high or low of average (on the slopes of the bell curve, not the peak, essentially). A very rare few are fairly far off, high or low.

What you do is follow your calculator estimate for 4-6 weeks, and see what the average result is on your body weight. If you set a maintenance calorie goal, and your weight meanders up and down around the same level for that 4-6 weeks, you're average and the estimate is reasonable for you. If you turn out to be non-average, you just adjust calories based on scale results. It's easy math, just assume 3500 calories is roughly a pound, so if you lost or gained a pound per week on average over the 4-6 weeks, you adjust your daily calorie goal by 500 calories.

That "X times body weight" thing is just a rough rule of thumb. Think about it: Is a 165-pound 5'8" bricklayer's apprentice who carries hods of bricks all day, then trains for triathlons and remodels his fixer-upper house in his free time going to burn the same number of calories daily as a same-sized sedentary computer programmer who lives in a studio apartment and watches Netflix as a hobby? Of course not.

I admit, 1800 (even 1800 plus exercise) sounds low, for your stats. Double check the values in your profile, especially making sure you picked maintaining weight as your goal. I don't know how old you are, but if I assume age 30, Sailrabbit thinks maintenance for you would be around 2000 when sedentary. MFP would maybe tend to estimate a little lower than that, because of how it does the math for daily life activity in context of its assumption that exercise is separate.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    CryInGym wrote: »
    Hi i just joined fitness pal it told me i need 1800 cal a day!? Doesn't make sence.
    Am 5ft8 75kg(165lbs) am trying to do body recomposition. Keeping about the same weight while gaining muscles.

I thought i was supposed to do 165X15
    = 2475lbs
    So i need 2475lbs a day if i am working out i guess? Please help .

I am so confused

there's only so far this site can go. Go find yourself a TDEE calculator online, and identify your maintenance calories. i'd recommend scooby fitness but he's retired. :(

I am concerned that you have inputted data wrong, or else the calculations in this site are wrong. But your age will be a factor in the calculation, I guess. And whereas young folk will be shocked at how low the number seems, older folk won't be. :) At my age maintenance is calculated around 1750 cals a day.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,635 Member
    Options
    Well, at my age (almost 60, very active, and I lift ) my maintenance is about 2700 per day, although I may be increasing after adding in some new workouts this month.

But anecdotal comparisons won’t really help you. You need to do you.

It’s pretty simple really. Calculate what MFP figures as maintenance and start out eating that plus half your exercise calories. If you still lose weight, add some calories back. If you gain, you know it’s too many.

Maintenance takes a minute to get the hang of, and even when you do, it’s plus or minus several pounds. It’s more a range than a fixed number.

You’re not gonna figure it out in a week or two. It took me several months to really settle in to maintenance.

I’ve personally found that leaning in on protein has helped me gain and retain muscle, and helped with satiation. YMMV. Sometimes on days I lift, I’m crazy ravenous, other times not. What’s helped settle things down for me is lunch or breakfast before a session and “second lunch” or breakfast afterwards.

Another bit of a shocker is that I’ve had to add weight a couple of times since I reached my lowest weight. Muscle is heavier, and I’ve found as I lift in maintenance, I have a tendency to continue to lose size, which then, for me personally, has the irritating adverse effect of losing muscle. So I’ve had to increase calories several times as well as put on a few pounds just to tread water size and “gainz” wise, if that makes sense.

You might find this thread interesting:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,635 Member
    Options
  • AnnPT77
    Options

@Springlering62, while those are both good threads, I'd observe that OP, @CryInGym, has a profile that says he's male.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @CryInGym, an afterthought:

Another post over in the Maintaining Weight "Most Helpful Posts" area is a thread about various methods for determining maintenance calories, including ideas from quite a number of MFP-ers who're in maintenance.

Here's a direct link to it, in case you're interested:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level/p1
  • CryInGym
    CryInGym Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for every single one of you for the moral boost and advice, i will take the time to read and follow the links you shared with me!