Slow Runner, Getting back at it Again.

Options

Replies

• jme99nl
    jme99nl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner too.
    Recently I developed an injury to my hip and worked with a physiotherapist to help with recovery. He has helped my gait immensely and as a result has gotten me going at a faster pace. The ONLY change has been my carriage and gait.
    It may be an idea to work with a coach or physio or trainer to help evaluate whether you are running efficiently. I wasn't...a lot of wasted energy in some of the ways I was moving.
    Running efficiently doesn't come as naturally as we think. :)
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading this thread quite a bit. I’m also a slow runner. And a slow walker, if I’m honest.

Currently, I am working on getting back into running shape. I am using plans by Jenny Hadfield. C25k always felt like it progressed to quickly for my abilities.

About 7-8 years and 40 fewer pounds ago, I was a regular runner. Fastest mile I ever ran was 11:11 in a five mile race. With my current program, I’m not running non-stop yet, but my treadmill speed is set for 15 minute miles during my run portions. Walking outdoors, I usually average 17-18 minutes.

I’m only 5’3” and I have short legs and a short stride. I’m not really concerned about my lack of speed at this point. I just want to be a regular runner again. I have made attempts off and on over the years, but I have not been able to get there due to a variety of reasons.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @cbihatt I am using the free Zen c25k program. I will have to see what the difference is if any. Tonight I will start week 5 which is 5 minute runs with walk in between. I am doing the 5 minute runs at 4.6 speed on TM so 13.04 mm I think. It is really pushing it for me so now that they are all 5 minute runs I will adjust as needed. I just want to be able to run 1 mile straight, then 2... then 7 :) .

@jme99nl I am not naturally athletic, so I have no doubt my technique is not the best form. I take short strides that are comfortable for me. Hmmm I wonder if my form could be taught to be improved? Old dog learning new tricks? ;)

Happy running to everyone!
  • jme99nl
    jme99nl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @jme99nl I am not naturally athletic, so I have no doubt my technique is not the best form. I take short strides that are comfortable for me. Hmmm I wonder if my form could be taught to be improved? Old dog learning new tricks? ;)

Happy running to everyone!

I only started running in my 40's. I had run in my teens but between 15 and 40 I was allergic to physical activity. Now I'm 52 and I've run several half marathons and I have developed a habit. I discovered at some point that if I ran a lot, I could eat more. :D It's an easy and quick way to burn calories...and I don't have to go to a gym and deal with the weight lifting gorillas.
    Last year I reached my healthy goal weight and much of it has been with the help of running to keep me active.
    All that long drawn out story just to say, I'm not really a natural runner, I'm always in the lower half of the standings but I don't really care. My recent injury did however make me realize where I can make improvements that will hopefully keep me injury free for longer. I'm having to rebuilt my distance because of my the change to my form but I know in the end it'll be worth it.
    If I can do it so can you!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Here are my peeps :) Another slow runner here. I started 10 years ago, and then dealt with plantar fasciitis so long that I took up swimming and did that for 6 years (until the pandemic ended that). By then, I was only running 1/week with my sister. I started walking more which aggravated my arthritic knee, but over time and paying attention to what hurts and taking care of it, I am now working in a second run per week. Yup. 2x/week. That's it. I've got nothing but time. And I'm 15 lbs heavier than I was at my running or swimming peak.

Running slowly gives me time to see trip hazards on the trail, muddy/slippery spots, and all of the seasonal changes that occur during the year in the forest. Today is my second run day of the week and I'll be thinking about this thread when I am out there this afternoon. You guys are reminding me that even though I am never fast, I really enjoy it :heart: Thanks for that!!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    @cbihatt I am using the free Zen c25k program. I will have to see what the difference is if any. Tonight I will start week 5 which is 5 minute runs with walk in between. I am doing the 5 minute runs at 4.6 speed on TM so 13.04 mm I think. It is really pushing it for me so now that they are all 5 minute runs I will adjust as needed. I just want to be able to run 1 mile straight, then 2... then 7 :) .

I totally understand what you mean! Sounds like you are making good progress.
  • fatty2begone
    Options
    @Ghostofachance Awesome Job! Speedy in my eyes B) .
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Just completed my 1st run outside. 20 minutes (run no walk breaks) for 1.4 miles (14.28mm). Longest run prior was 8 minutes so this was a huge jump. Started out much faster but had to slow way down to be able to finish. It feels awesome to run outside again.

This was week 6 day 1 C25k . Next couple days of week 6 is back to the shorter runs with more walks.

Great job!
  • fatty2begone
    Options
    @pridesabtch Good for you. Be healthy and happy. Please keep me posted with your progress. So inspiring!

A friend is trying to convince me to sign up for a 1/2 in September. I am undecided yet and will evaluate my runs in May. That would give me 3+months to train. I would like to be able to run 3 miles comfortably before I consider.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    Not to discourage you, but a half marathon in September sounds very ambitious if you're currently not running 3 miles comfortably?

I've really upped my mileage the past few months and it bit me in the a**, I ended up overtraining and had to take a step back (well, I'm trying to anyway).
    I've been running for a few years now (granted, only been serious about increasing mileage and speed the past 6 months), my longest runs are currently 13-14km and I wouldn't enter myself in a half marathon in September 😳😆
  • fatty2begone
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @Lietchi I tend to agree with your comment. I will not set myself up to fail, but I also don't necessarily want to limit myself in what actually might be doable. I am not committing to anything yet, and should I decide to give the September half some serious thought, when/if training and I am not capable of doing longer runs, I will back off and shoot for next spring or sometime next year. (much depends on my weight loss journey and my endurance.)

Not only is the endurance going to be an issue, weather too. The normal highs currently in 40's, June if starting to train upper 70's to 80's, July-August 80s with some 90s and high humidity is not going to help. So yes still sticking to the wait and see plan, but as a realist, pretty sure my friend is going to have to delay "our" half until MAYBE next spring or longer.

My body... My choice ;) But my mind has no say in the matter :D

PS: Why not enter yourself into a half in September? If you are running 6, 7, miles or more you have plenty of time to train to increase your distance. IMO you could certainly do that. But each and everyone is individual.... No judgement here.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Definitely sounds like a sensible approach 🙂

As for my own choices, well... I'm still hesitating about participating in a 5k, let alone a half marathon 😁 not because I doubt my running, certainly not at a 5km level, but my last 5k was pretty traumatic and I'm a very shy person anyway (I usually run on my treadmill at home). I wouldn't just want to be able to run the full distance (comfortably), I wouldn't want to be at the back of the pack.
    I think I might start a real program now to work up to a half marathon (instead improvising a programme) but perhaps not to run a race. I enjoy pushing myself, but perhaps better without the stress of a race 🙂
  • fatty2begone
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @Lietchi It sounds like your races are way different then the USA races in my location. In the race there are the serious competitors from all around the world running for the race medals as well as the prize money. However, there are also those doing it just to finish. So yes, as someone in per say the "race" just to finish sounds so different then everyone running for the fastest time.

IMO you have your head derailing with your past trauma. I for sure get that.... but you have been running for quite some time now and I think you don't realize the leaps you have taken. Please search for a "FUN" run in your area and do it. (IF that is an option you will not be the last one as there will be some walking pushing a stroller.) I wouldn't think the USA is not the only place that does those? OR, at the very least, do your very own 5K run for time and then compare yourself to some of the other race times. (I have the capability to look at races/times for runners maybe you do too?) You may find that your time is not the last person coming in.

Our minds can have good intentions, but be the worst for setting us up to fail and to prevent us from surpassing what me might be able to achieve.

Thanks for posting as you truly are inspiring to me!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Definitely sounds like a sensible approach 🙂

As for my own choices, well... I'm still hesitating about participating in a 5k, let alone a half marathon 😁 not because I doubt my running, certainly not at a 5km level, but my last 5k was pretty traumatic and I'm a very shy person anyway (I usually run on my treadmill at home). I wouldn't just want to be able to run the full distance (comfortably), I wouldn't want to be at the back of the pack.
    I think I might start a real program now to work up to a half marathon (instead improvising a programme) but perhaps not to run a race. I enjoy pushing myself, but perhaps better without the stress of a race 🙂

Do you have Parkrun in your area? I found it a great way to connect with other runners locally without the stress of a big race. There are many at my location that walk instead of run or just run casually instead of competing against each other. We don’t have many locations in the US but I got lucky to have one near me. It might be a way for you to casually step away from the treadmill once a week.

I toyed with training for a half. I don’t know that I actually want to run it at an event, but just close to home to prove to myself that I can. I was looking at beginner plans today and they run about 20 weeks. I’m already running a couple times per week. So I may decide to give it a go.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    @Lietchi It sounds like your races are way different then the USA races in my location. In the race there are the serious competitors from all around the world running for the race medals as well as the prize money. However, there are also those doing it just to finish. So yes, as someone in per say the "race" just to finish sounds so different then everyone running for the fastest time.

IMO you have your head derailing with your past trauma. I for sure get that.... but you have been running for quite some time now and I think you don't realize the leaps you have taken. Please search for a "FUN" run in your area and do it. (IF that is an option you will not be the last one as there will be some walking pushing a stroller.) I wouldn't think the USA is not the only place that does those? OR, at the very least, do your very own 5K run for time and then compare yourself to some of the other race times. (I have the capability to look at races/times for runners maybe you do too?) You may find that your time is not the last person coming in.

We don't have fun runs here, or I've never heard of any anyway. All races with 'real' runners (of different levels and ages, sure, mostly in the shorter distances).

My 5km pace is not an issue anymore - my best is 32min30 which is definitely good enough for a race without embarrassment (no longer a truly slow runner 🙂). It's just a mental block at this point 🙂

Do you have Parkrun in your area? I found it a great way to connect with other runners locally without the stress of a big race. There are many at my location that walk instead of run or just run casually instead of competing against each other. We don’t have many locations in the US but I got lucky to have one near me. It might be a way for you to casually step away from the treadmill once a week.

I toyed with training for a half. I don’t know that I actually want to run it at an event, but just close to home to prove to myself that I can. I was looking at beginner plans today and they run about 20 weeks. I’m already running a couple times per week. So I may decide to give it a go.

No Park runs in my country. I do have a wood chip path nearby, where my BF and I went for a run together a few weeks ago. With spring arriving, definitely an idea to get outside a bit more and do some hills.
    I definitely would like to try running a half, but, like you, perhaps not an actual race 🙂
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Look at the beginner training plan at the “Snacking in Sneakers” website. It’s a 20 week plan that looks ok. Want to do it? We could just check in for accountability since I’m not really interested in running at a race.