Still hungry?

Options
Kinya4571
Kinya4571 Posts: 10 Member
edited March 2022 in Food and Nutrition
So after dinner I was still hungry after logging for the night and ended up having some crackers and peanut butter. I ended up going over my calories. Next time what can I do next time in this situation?

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    If you want to hold yourself accountable for the extra calories, just go back into the day's food log and add them. You'll get the "red number warning" for going over when you total out (if you do total out, I often don't) and sometimes that can encourage people to hit the target more closely the next day. If you don't wish to record the extra calories, they've still been ingested of course. Know that you may be vulnerable to evening snacking, and adjust your calorie intake for the day to mitigate that.

(Not that I'm some winner who doesn't snack at night and never goes over. Ha! I wish! But I do need to know how far over I've gone to adjust my behavior, and it rarely works to simply keep it in mind and not record it in writing.)
  • KitinToronto
    KitinToronto Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I find that eating really protein heavy and having a cup of raw veggies and at least one piece of fruit before EVERY meal, really helps with feeling full.

If that doesn't work, do you plan out your meals for the day? I don't and I always think I should - I even bought a book to do it, and it's on my coffee table, unopened. lol BUT - if you plan out your meals, you can plan out your snacks too, so you don't go over.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on if you were truly hungry, or maybe just eating out of boredom or habit.

If you were really hungry, and find that it happens a lot at the end of the day, you could re-evaluate how you split up your calories for the day. Maybe "save" some calories from earlier in the day so you can have an evening snack and not go over your calories.

If you're maybe just bored-eating, or doing it out of habit, you can try distracting yourself with an activity you enjoy. You can also try sipping a low or no calorie beverage, like tea or flavored water.

Some people say brushing your teeth or chewing gum after your last meal of the day discourages you from eating more.

Ultimately, you have to find out what works best for you. And, of course, there's nothing wrong with occasionally going over your calories. But, if you make a habit out of it, it becomes more difficult to reach your goal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    How big is your calorie deficit? What is your daily calorie allowance? Maybe it's just too low.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,212 Member
    Options
    How many calories was it, and what weight loss rate did you ask MFP to give you?

If I was really hungry, and it was an unusual thing, I'd just eat the PB & crackers. One serving of PB is a couple of hundred calories, I don't know how many crackers you ate, but a standard serving would be somewhere between 80 and 200 calories (6-7 Triscuit are 120, for example). So, if it was that, let's say 350 calories, for both the PB & crackers?

If you're set to lose a pound a week, MFP has given you a 500 calorie daily calorie deficit. 350 calories uses up part of that, but not all. You'd still be in a 150 calorie deficit for the day. Looking at it over the week, if this was a rare thing, and you happened to come in a few calories under on other days - which I'm not saying you should engineer to "make up for it" because I think that's A Bad Plan - you could end up just about even for the week.

In that kind of zone, it's no big deal. If it was spoonful after spoonful of peanut butter, and half a box of crackers, that's different.

If it's a common thing for you, then I agree with considering whether you're trying to lose faster than needful (too low calories), whether you could get better nutrition or more filling foods or different timing of food during the day, and feel more happy/full on your routine. If so, try a different routine.

Sometimes, even inadequate sleep or high stress can cause fatigue, which triggers cravings - because calories are energy, and a fatigued body seeks energy. If that's the case, working on the root problem can help, via improving sleep quality/quantity, or using other stress management techniques.

It's not some kind of epic battle between good and evil, or success and failure . . . it's just routine analysis and problem solving to figure out the best way to stay full, happy, and well-nourished while simultaneously losing weight at a reasonable, moderate rate.

Hang in there, keep figuring this out, dialing in a good personalized routine - you'll do fine.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would recommend cut up veges and peanut butter instead. :D I don't think carbs do anything but make you want more. Hey. Some chippies ads come out and say it - you can't just have one. So avoid them. :smiley:

I remember the years I'd make a huge coleslaw and have that in the lounge so that I could deal with my oral fixation and eat a ton of cabbage instead of a ton of other things.

Nowadays my fridge is filled with cheese slices and tiny little salamis, and I'll grab one of each and take a big drink back to the lounge with me.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Yes, veggies are carbs but if you were to compare number of carbs(also calories), which would be higher/lower? Crackers, breads, pasta, rice, wraps, etc. or carrots, tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers? Lower calories in the veggie dept.
    BUT with that said, veggies don't usually fulfill my snack cravings. :) Snacking, for me, would gravitate right to those crackers and peanut butter. Maybe, OP, try pop corn or rice cakes instead? Or a low cal. fudgsicle, or even 2. Low fat pudding or nonfat plain yogurt. And the peanut butter portion is a high fat high calorie choice. :/ That's coming from someone who couldn't live without her peanut butter. :)

My main way of fitting in my preferred snacks is keeping calories out to use for them, either by switching my meals around like making them smaller, adding more walking or whatever exercise into my routine to allow me an extra 100-200 calories a day.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have a few loose habits surrounding calorie overages. The main one is that I let myself go up to 100 calories over my goal. This is small enough it won't knock out my deficit, but large enough that I can 'fill in the corners', so to speak.

I also keep cut up fruit and veggies in the fridge, along with low-calorie dips/sauces. If I'm hungry, I'm not going to sweat eating a few apple slices with hot tea or carrot sticks with hummus. Why would I? Reinforcing the habit of reaching for apples/veggies is worth some extra calories, imo.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    It might sound fairly ineffective, but having just two crackers (Ritz/club, not large in size and not overly flavored) is helpful for me. I have them 1-2 times a month either right before going to bed or in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Bridgie3 wrote: »
    I remember the years I'd make a huge coleslaw and have that in the lounge so that I could deal with my oral fixation and eat a ton of cabbage instead of a ton of other things.

Good idea! Every other week or so, I make a giant bowl of slaw. Since I prefer an Asian inspired slaw made with rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ginger and sesame oil, it's also easy to throw a couple handfuls into a fast stir-fry when I'm pressed for time. I can't tell you how many times having that big bowl of slaw kept me from making dodgier choices.